Dilated kidneys - x posted

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby hoping4another » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Jess 8O Holy cow!! This could be happening for you sooner than you know! I am excited for you! I imagine that the stripping had to hurt. I think that it hurts each time my doc checks me.
I am going to be stalking to see when this baby arrives!
I have one more appt. next week on Monday, then my next appt is in the cities on Oct 7th (the following Tuesday). We are going to leave for there the day before. I am really hoping that they will induce me if things are looking promising.

Good luck!!! Let us know if things start to progress!!

me: 32
DH:35
DS1: 5 years old
DS2: born 10-8-08
baby BOY #3 due Aug 31, 2010!!!
hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby hoping4another » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 pm

HEY!!!
JESS's water may have broken. I saw her post earlier on the Oct boards this morning and I haven't seen anything since... I am thinking that she may be in labor!!!

JT: I love the new pic!!! How precious is that??? Yes, I will have internet access when we go to the cities and I will be keeping you all posted.

Hello Lizzen! You know, I used to read so much into the u/s's. I would look to see if I thought there was enough amniotic fluid, I would check all of the pictures and analyze everything. I hope that you are doing well. Any more appts?

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby jesscc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi ladies - I wanted to post a quick update for you on me and my baby girl!
Baby Helena was born very quickly (I arrived at the hospital TEN minutes before she was born) via natural childbirth and she is HEALTHY and doing great. She's taken to breastfeeding easily, thank goodness, and because my last u/s showed healing, she won't be having further u/s follow-ups. Here are the statistics: 6 lbs. 11 oz, 19.5 inches. I am so happy she's finally here. I so look forward to hearing about the births of Hoping and Lizzen's babies---

Hoping- you are next! Any new news?

I cannot thank you enough for the endless support, advice and open ears you have offered me throughout my pregnancy. Having this forum with the experience and common challenges we've faced has given me incredible comfort. I am so lucky everything worked out so well for us, and I am excited to hear the positive outcomes from the other women here. Here is a photo taken today at about 2.5 days old:

My three darlings:
DS: Dec. 06
DD: Sep. 08
DS: Apr. 10

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby lizzen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Oh. My. Gosh! She might just be THE most beautiful newborn I have ever seen! Just stunning. Congratulations, mama! Sounds like you did a great job and everything is going well. So happy for you!

I met with my midwife yesterday for the first time since the US. She said that the dilation is minimal, I guess they measured around 4 mm (right) and 7 mm (left). Since I'd already seen the peri due to an error on my triple screen, she and the peri feel comfortable having me continue the pregnancy as normal. They're not even planning on sending me for another US later on, they said they'll probably do a renal US on him once he's born. I won't even have to go back to the peri. In a way I' relieved but a part of me would like to have one more US before he's born. But I do feel much better that they're not concerned! :)
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hoping4another » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Jess!!!
Oh my goodness, she is the prettiest little baby I have seen! I am serious!! She looks like a little porcelain doll!!!
I am so happy that she is doing well and good for you for not having too long of a labor. I am sure that you are relieved that she is in good health and that you don't have to worry about the kidney issues any more! Yay- no more worrisome pregnancy!!!
Thank you so much for posting a picture and letting us know how you were doing.
Lizzen: I am so relieved for you, that dilation sounds very minimal. I hope that puts your mind somewhat at ease.. It is never easy to hear that something isn't quite right, but things sound like they are going to be okay!
JT: I am sure that I will be visiting the BF'ng forum after baby arrives. I BF'd with DS1 and I am looking forward to that again!!

As far as me.. I had my last OB appt yesterday. It was kind of bittersweet and my doc made me cry. He said how sad he was that he wouldn't be there to deliver the baby after all that we had been through.
The doc said that I am still "fingertip" dilated and not really effaced, but he said that the baby's head has moved into position or he is "locked and loaded" as he said. I have been having tons of BH's lately and they have been getting more intense. We are moving to the cities next Monday, then I have another u/s and OB visit next Tuesday..

Once again... Congrats, Jess. I am so happy for you :D

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby jesscc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Hoping - Good luck with your moving preparations. Your time is really here! I bet it was hard to say goodbye to your OB, but you'll get to see them soon with your new baby in your arms.

Please KUP as much as possible. I will be thinking of you and your LO as the time gets closer. I can't WAIT so see a picture and hear how he's doing!

Lizzen- I'm glad to hear the dilation is minimal- that really makes all the difference and the prognosis really is extremely good with anything minimal like that. Especially if they do not feel it needs follow up monitoring, and if you are unsure, I would think you could request another measurement by U/S for later in the pregnancy.

JT - thanks for the encouragement about the BF ing board. I've already come on over.

My LO had her first post-hospital checkup today and she's doing great. Gaining weight and growing already. I'm so happy for her!
My three darlings:

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hoping4another » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am

Real quick..
I am being induced tomorrow am! We moved to minneapolis yesterday and had my appt today. The baby's growth has slowed down a bit and they thought we should get things started.
I will KUP!

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby lizzen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm

YAY!! Congratulations, Hoping! Sending you lots of :ld: and easy labor vibes! Can't wait to hear about your new LO!
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hoping4another » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:08 pm

I just have a free moment to tell you that we are doing well!
Kian Christian was born last night after a very easy and comfy delivery (ahh... thank you, epidural!!) He weighs 6 lbs 15 oz.
He is so precious and he looks a lot like DS (and his daddy). He was supposed to go to the NICU right away, but because he began peeing right away, he was able to stay in our room all night. He had an u/s today on his bladder and his kidneys. We still haven't heard the results of that. Tomorrow he is going to have a VCUG to see what is causing the kidneys to be so dilated and the ureter to be so large. If all is well with that, we may be released sometime this weekend... now I even heard possibly late tomorrow. If it reveals that he has a bladder outlet obstruction, then he will have to have surgery right away. By just looking at him, you would never know that he may have something wrong... he looks great and seems very strong.
I am feeling pretty good... a little tired (thanks to many sleepless nights prior to delivery... as well as last night).
I will keep you posted once we hear more about the tests. Right now, we just feel so blessed to finally have our baby boy in our arms!

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby jesscc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Oh congratulations!!! I am so excited and happy for you that he's finally here, and it sounds like he's doing great. Hearing that he's arrived almost brought tears to my eyes--it's been a long wait hasn't it?! Please update us as soon as you can on his test results, but above all- enjoy that little guy!
My three darlings:

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hoping4another » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Hello everyone!

Kian had his ultrasound and VCUG test done yesterday. The doctors feel that his right kidney is not working very well.. if even at all. His left kidney appears to be functioning normally, although it is a little swollen. They believe that his right ureter is "ectopic" which means that instead of entering into the bladder like it should, it is entering into his urethra. This caused a backup of urine into his right kidney. This caused his right kidney to not develop properly. The pressure of the ureter on the right side may have caused the bladder to be compressed on one side and caused the urine to flow back a little onto the left side. But the doctors keep mentioning that it looks like it is working properly and all of his kidney blood tests show that his kidney function is within the normal range. So, his left kidney has probably made up for the function of the right. He is going to have a lot of follow up and they are going to see if they will need to remove the kidney... or try to save the little function that it has left. If they would do that, then he would have surgery to remove the ureter and implant it into the bladder where it belongs. We will return to Minneapolis in one month and they are going to do another test that will determine (hopefully) which route we will take in the future. In the meantime... he has been placed on a low dose of antibiotics to prevent any further damage to either of his kidneys...

The docs said that things could have been much worse if he would have had what they call a bladder outlet obstruction, or "posterior urethral valves". Then we would have been looking at both kidneys possibly not functioning well and the possiblity of dialysis and kidney transplant.

So, that is what we know so far. He is appearing healthy and is a beautiful little guy. Thank God, that he gave us 2 kidneys! We were discharged yesterday and made the long drive home. We are all doing well and are so happy that we have a healthy boy despite the fact that he has one damaged kidney!

Thank you for all your support gals! I hope to post pics soon!

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs Babies