Dilated kidneys - x posted

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby momtosix » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Liz Your baby is beautiful. I have been lurking and reading.I posted on page 9.Our Noah was born with one Kidney which they did not find until 36 weeks.They were not really sure until I delivered.His VCug came out fine.Now he is just monitored by a urologist.I am told he will lead a normal life.Plenty of ppl have one Kidney and do not even know it.As long as it functions well it is fine.

Anyway I am glad to see all the babies are doing well.

I am sorry Kian's surgery was postponed.Glad Zander can pee well.Noah has no problem there either.God knows for months all I did is watch him pee.

Suri
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jesscc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm

Hoping - I know Kian's surgery is coming up and I've been thinking about you. Please keep us posted about his progress. Lots of good thoughts and prayers for him!
My three darlings:
DS: Dec. 06
DD: Sep. 08
DS: Apr. 10

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hoping4another » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Hello!
Jesscc: Yes, Kian's surgery is coming up next Friday. I will make sure to let you know how he is doing. How is Helena? I bet she is getting big already!!

Liz: Did they find anything else about the VCUG yet?

Suri: Thank you for reassuring me too. It is nice to know of another baby that just has one functioning kidney.

JT: I hope that you are doing well!!

Jaybee: I am sure that you are busy with your little man, but I have always been curious on how he is doing?

We are just waiting on Friday for Kian's surgery. I hope that it goes well. I can't believe that my baby is going to be 5 months old on Sunday. He is such a happy sweet boy!

me: 32
DH:35
DS1: 5 years old
DS2: born 10-8-08
baby BOY #3 due Aug 31, 2010!!!
hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby jesscc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 am

Hoping - Good luck this week!!! Keep us posted. I know you'll be in good hands.

JT - This must be a very difficult week for you. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I'm sure you are enjoying your little girl to pieces, it's such a fun age! I love seeing her adorable picture.
My three darlings:

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jesscc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

I know tomorrow is Kian's surgery! Please let us know how he does.
My three darlings:

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby momtosix » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 pm

good luck tomorrow kian.

Jt I am sorry this is a difficult time for you.It must be a comfort having that adorable sweet little girl.love the Pic.

Suri
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hoping4another » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi everyone!
Believe or not, we are at home. Kian was released from the hospital less than 24 hours after his surgery. Yesterday was a really rough day and I never imagined that we would be home already. He is doing SOOOO well today! He woke up very happy and has been a very good baby today. He has had a couple of bouts of pain, but nothing that tylenol hasn't been able to help. We got home and he was rolling around, laughing and scooting on the floor. I can't even believe that he had surgery yesterday!!! He is resting now. His tummy is pretty swollen and he has 3 small incision sites. The doctor said that his right kidney was all shriveled up and small. The ureter was "enormous" about 10 times the size that it should be. Everything came out smoothly,the surgery took about 3 hours. I am hoping that tonight and tomorrow that he does as well as he did today. The 7 hour drive went very well too, he wasn't fussy. I am in shock that things went so well. I am also relieved that it is all over with. The doctor said that he will be living a very normal life and we will just need to follow up with our doc here to do a yearly u/s on his kidney to make sure that it is growing well and some bloodwork and blood pressures to make sure that the kidney is functioning well.

Jesscc and Suri: Thank you for thinking of us and checking in! Suri, does Noah have to have yearly checks on his kidney?

JT: Happy Birthday to Anna!! What a year they bring to us, huh? I am sure that this time is bittersweet as you think of your sweet angel baby Andrew. He will always be a part of you and always remembered in your heart. I pray that you can find grace during this difficult time.

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby momtosix » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:03 am

I AM GLAD the surgery went well.i do not know if he is suppose to have yearly checks.Right now we are at the point that we are suppose to have either an MRI orCatscan.I forgt which one for informational purposes.Why would I want to do that now.So I am just postponing that.I think they want to see if there is extra tissue which might be a liiltle better.You can not see that on a u/s.

Jt happy birthday Anna.

Suri
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jesscc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

WOW - That is terrific news Hoping! How is he doing now? You must be tremendously relieved. I am so happy for you and your family.
My three darlings:

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hoping4another » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks, ladies.
He is doing well. The surgery hardly fazed him. I am pretty sure that it was harder on DH and I than it was on him. He has been super active and happy. We are so relieved that it is over with!!!

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby lizzen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:10 am

Hoping, I'm so glad to hear he's recovered so well from his surgery. What a huge relief for you!
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 am

:hi: Hi, ladies! Not much action on this thread lately which I take to be good news all the way around! :D Zander had his VCUG this morning. His left kidney is still mildly dilated, no better no worse, but the good news is there was no reflux! So I don't know where we go from here, I guess just follow up US every six months to make sure it doesn't get worse. I'm just happy that there was no reflux! :D Hope everyone is doing well!
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hoping4another » Sat May 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Lizzen,
that is a relief that it is not reflux... So, he won't have to be on antibiotics, right?
I have a friend whose baby had dilated kidneys, then they cleared up after the baby was a year old. I hope that is what happens in your case.

Takle care!

hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby momtosix » Sat May 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Noah had no reflux and the dilation cleared up.Hopefully that will be the case for you.So glad everything seems to be going well.

Lizzen How I look at it ,things could be much worse.I choose to have 6 and my first 5 were perfectly healthy.In the big picture it is ok compared to many other things.The first week he was born i cried my eyes out.Now i just look at him and think of him as a perfect mircle.Hopefully his good Kidney will keep working well and we won't have to think about it.My kids assured me if we ever do they would gladly give Noah a Kidney which melted my heart.They told me that in the hospital without batting an eyelash.

Suri
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs Babies