Kidney Update - Hospital Appt. was yesterday

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Kidney Update - Hospital Appt. was yesterday

Postby Mom22boys1 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:33 pm

I had an extensive ultrasound done by a technician as well as a doctor at the hospital this morning. They could not find a right kidney. The good news it, the baby's bladder was full and the amniotic fluid was good, which means the one kidney she does have is working correctly.

I have to go to the hospital for monthly ultrasounds to ensure the kidney she does have is working and growing correctly (and maybe the right one will miraculously appear).

They also want us to talk to a pediatric urologist before she is born as well as a genetic counselor, although I'm not sure if we will be meeting with the genetic counselor. The 10 markers they look for when doing ultrasounds came back normal so the chance of anything else being abnormal is low.

They did give me a few "what if" scenarios but those are more for later down the road after she is born.

I am pretty overwhelmed by the amount of information that was given to me today so hopefully I will be able to process everything before my regular 20 week OB appt. tomorrow morning.
Katherine Marie was born on 10/7 at 4:39 pm
7 lbs. 4.4 oz and 19" long
LOTS of black hair!
Mom22boys1
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Melanie20012001 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:41 am

I hope your little girl is ok, the other kidney functioning properly sound promising. Kup
ImageImage Image
Melanie20012001
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Fri May 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Sounds like great news! I hope this is the "worst" of it. Good luck!!!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommaRNluvs7 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 pm

I know it all seems overwhelming and frightening right now, but know that she can live quite well on one good kidney. Heck, even one so-so kidney. ;)

Her bladder being full is excellent! She is already putting that kidney to work.

:hugs: Hang in there Mommy.
Mommy's baby boy is ONE!!!

My fav Christian parenting site is in my WWW!
mommaRNluvs7
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jjkaps2 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:05 am

My aunt has lived her entire life (almost 60) with one kidney and while there are certain things she has to watch for, it hasn't effected her life in any way! Good luck - KUP!
Image Image
jjkaps2
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Special Needs Babies