pj's 6 month IFSP review x-posted

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

pj's 6 month IFSP review x-posted

Postby mamalynn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 pm

this went well. pj has mastered many of his goals set forth last time. his biggest challenge at the moment is communication. his receptive is really good, but he is not making any new sounds with expressive. he has has understood the milk sign for awhile now, but never signed on his own. i used to hold his arm up and he would do a modified milk sign. well, he now does the milk sign (modified) on his own and sometimes the all done sign. his coordinator is putting a request in for a speech consult. other new things he is doing:
walking unassisted across the room, however still very shaky
waving hello/goodbye
clapping
bringing us books to read
kissing any picture of a baby he see's
self feeding mandarin oranges (that is all he likes)
climbing on and off couch
stacking blocks
sorting some shapes
completing chunky shape puzzles also
drawing with crayon or magnadoodle

he is doing really good and i am so proud of him! sometimes he is frustrated with a task and gives up too easily. his patience is improving though. things work out so much better when they are his idea and not anyone else's. he has learned how to hide toys and his hands behind his back during his sessions with the infant teacher so he doesn't have to work. haha!

i am probably going to move him up to his age level in gymboree. we previewed another class just to see. i only held him back because he is not fully walking yet, but he seemed to do just great with the kiddo's his own age.

the next major hurdles will be his cardio appt in august, as well as the move to another city. hopefully we will all be able to adjust.
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsjoh » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:29 am

Glad to hear of PJ's improvements, he looks adorable! :) patience is hard to learn for anyone, I still get frustrated on tasks and give up .... I have a box of hobbies once tried
Jasper born Nov 25, 2008-Feb 23, 2010 www.jaspersheart.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
mrsjoh
Star Member
Star Member

Postby dixiechicken » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:02 am

Great work PJ!!!! It's funny how they learn to get out of work. Wade has learned to pout when the therapist comes over. Just yesterday, he was sooo happy, jumping and laughing in his jumperoo. As soon as the PT walked in, his mood completely changed. How quickly he associated her with working out! :wink: I'm so excited to hear how well things are going!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:21 am

jtsummers wrote:congrats! I'm so glad to see him doing so well, he is such a cutie!

As an ST myself, I'm surprised he hasn't been getting regular speech therapy. I know STs are hard to come by in the early-intervention set, but if you can find a good one it would do wonders for his communication.

good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing more updates!

Yeah, Wade gets oral motor "stuff" through his OT in EI. However, we're going to a speech consult at the end of this month privately. Hope PJ gets the service soon!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mamalynn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 am

thanks ladies!

that wade! what a little stinker! they are way to smart, aren't they?

i guess over here it is hard to get a speech consult before 2 yrs. i really do not know. i have a terrific EI coordinator, so i have faith that she will deliver the ST goods. pj has gotten oral motor work with his OT also. we are moving next month, so i want the speech services approved before then. i think it is important that whoever makes that decision is the person that has followed his progress from the start. so fingers crossed that we get it!
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby angelmomma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Way to go PJ! You must be so proud of him! I can't believe he's growing up so fast.
angelmomma
Angel
Angel

Postby lizzen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:07 am

Wow, mlynn, PJ is doing fantastic! You must be so proud!

We got ST services for our oldest son and the difference it made was unreal. Of course, he started receiving them much later at the age of three. I'm glad your service coordinator is working on getting you an eval now. It can take some time to get services set up as I'm sure you know. The really good thing is that if it's on his IFSP now, it will follow him when you move so you won't have to struggle for services with a new regional center.

Good luck with everything, sounds like you're really busy! :D
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies