UPDATE -- Ultra Screen today - EXTREME measurement

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

UPDATE -- Ultra Screen today - EXTREME measurement

Postby UncleBen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:57 am

Update from the doctor --- says the baby has a cystic hygroma and that most likely has Turner Syndrome based on the extreme quantity of fluid. Said this is very rare for a baby with downs or trisomy 21. Said is could be Trisomy 18 or 13, but not likely. I am scheduled for amniocentesis with him next week Monday when I am 14 weeks 1 day. Wish me luck. He said that this is quite serious and 95% chance I will miscarry and should be alert and aware of cramps and any spotting.

~~~~~

So, I've done a lot of research over the last week while awaiting my ultra-screen. I've never seen anything that talks about a nuchal fold more than 8 mm. My measurement today was 12 mm. I know something is horribly wrong, but no one was able to even discuss this with me because the doctor was out sick. They said he'd call me later today or tomorrow to discuss. I took the day off work as I am a complete mess and can't spend more than 5 minutes without breaking into tears.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions/thoughts? I can't do CVS because I am 13 weeks and 1 day today. The nurse at the fetal medicine office said that the doctor does amnio in the 14th week, so at least I have that soon enough. I have no idea how long it will take to get those results though....and I have no idea what my options are at this point. Will my body miscarry on it's own? Will I have to go through the delivery process? Sorry, I am just thinking while I write. I am devastated.
Last edited by UncleBen on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleBen

Postby dixiechicken » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:15 am

I don't have any answers, but I am so sorry you have to go through this!!! :praying: I hope you hear from the doctor soon!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm sorry to come back and hear this update! You're still in my prayers!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm so very sorry to hear this news. :hugs: I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now. My thoughts are with you and I wish you the best. Please let us know how things turn out.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby UncleBen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:10 am

Thank you all for your thoughts. I took another day off of work today because I just am so fragile. I do feel stronger than yesterday though and hopefully I will be ok to go back tomorrow. I sort of feel like I need a couple of days to myself to grieve but then have to get back to work so that it will keep my mind off of things.
UncleBen

Postby mrsjoh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:56 am

I am so sorry for your devastating news. I will pray for you and your baby.
It is so unfair.
Jasper born Nov 25, 2008-Feb 23, 2010 www.jaspersheart.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
mrsjoh
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Special Needs Babies