Question to mom's of premie babies

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby PixieB » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 pm

They gave me the first of the steroid shots 4 days before my baby girl was born (2nd was 24 hours later). So long as the shots are given at least 24 hours before the baby is born, and ideally if you can get both shots in then it can make a significant difference in maturing their lungs and reducing how much breathing assistance they require, and hopefully shortening any hospital stay.

Good luck. It's sounds like you've gotten a lot of good news.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ddpaints » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:41 am

I think what they are going to try with me is to give me the steroid shots but not when I'm in labor. They want to give them at 28 weeks so just in case she comes early they will have sped up her lung develpoment. We are hoping that with the progesterone shots and mother nature that she just stays in and we don't have that issue to deal with. If we do hopefully the steroid shots given in week 28 will have developed her lungs enough that we don't have any issues.
It's all still scarey though and I'm glad this is our last. If we want anymore children we will look into adoption as of now 2 will be plenty especially with this economy. :D
Image Image
ddpaints
Angel
Angel

Postby Lizc0002 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:25 am

I just scanned the other posts, but I can tell you that I had a successful 2nd pregnancy after having my water rupture at 31 weeks and delivering my DD at 32 weeks. She was in the NICU for 14 days before she came home, but I was very lucky because she was never in any life threatening danger.

With my next prengnacy, with DS, they gave me progesterone shots weekly starting at 17 weeks. They also did an US at 28 weeks to check my cervix for shortening, if they had noticed shortening or any changes indicating labor might be imminent, they were going to start steroid shots for lung maturation, but luckily all was fine. I did have a few scares, around 28 and 32 weeks with contractions, but the contractions slowed once I was given fluids and the fetal fibronectin tests they did while i was at L&D came back negative. DS was born at 39 weeks exactly 5 days before his due date.

I am pregnant with #3 now and again they will do the progesterone shots, this time starting at 20 weeks. I really think though that the premature birth of my DD was just a fluke and either due to a defect in her amniotic sac or a unfortunate case of me rolling over and he moving in the wrong direction and rupturing the sac (my water sprung a leak while i was rolling over at night)

Liz
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby justjenny091201 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:03 am

My ds was a preemie. He was born at 28 weeks, I just went into early and unstoppable labor. He was twins, we lost his twin sister. I had alsso miscarried twins before I got pg with him. He was born in sept of 2001.I was also terrified of getting pg again, but I found out christmas eve of 06 that i was. I had my baby girl, with no complications, (gd and severe ms aside) at 38w2d. I hope that helps, every pg is different.
madyson suzanna was born aug 23 @ 7:16am. weighing 5lb 14 oz  now 1 year. weighing 25lb 3oz. Image
justjenny091201
Star Member
Star Member

Postby rtgirl77 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:18 am

DDpaints: Try not to worry too much! First of all, its VERY unusual to have a 35 weeker have complications like you described with your DS. I'm not sure exactly what happened that caused him to be near death but usually its something more than just prematurity. I have a DD who was 33w5d and she was on cpap for 4 days followed by high flow canula and then room air. She stayed for 2 weeks but most of that was working out her feeding issues. I had HELLP syndrome so she had to be delivered early. I did get steroid shots before delivery. But, my DD was never close to death. I work in a pediatric ICU and I can tell you that most 32-37 weekers do great with minimal complications. So, even if you do end up with another preemie, the chances of serious complications are pretty low as long as you make it to 32 weeks. They usually end up staying to about 35 weeks just for feeding issues. Unfortunately, your little man just happened to be in that minority of babies who have serious complications. I'm sure things will be fine and that you'll feel better, knowing you have a plan.
Jennifer (32) DH (43) DD (10) DS (9) DD (1) and our latest edition born 7/16/09
ImageImage
rtgirl77
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Special Needs Babies