Spina Bifida?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Spina Bifida?

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:53 am

Okay I was just thinking about this last night and now I'm even more worried that my son will have certain issues. I remember back in 92 when my mom was pregnant with my little brother and doctors said he had SB. They wanted her to terminate the pgncy and even at the beginning she had a huge m/c scare while we were on vacation. She was bleeding heavily and we spent 7hrs in the ER (me and my then 7yr old brother) while mom got checked out. In the end they saw a tiny flicker on the screen and said he was still alive and fighting but that it would be best if she considered termination. Anyway, fast forward a few months when Hugo was born. They saw he didnt have any physical traits of SB but they tested him and everything came out positive. So they told her he had the genes in him and he would end up passing it along to his kids and they could end up with SB. Anyway, so here I am last night, thinking about Club Feet and SB when all of a sudden I realize that maybe just maybe its possible that I too have the genes since its hereditary and my kids could have it. And since in the early 80s it was almost impossible to detect in the womb, well I never got tested. Thing is, from what I've read, some of the symptoms seem to relate to me in a very mild kind of way. Could it be possible??
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 am

Wouldnt that cost money though? I'm so broke right now, cant afford another scan. So I guess I'll just wait it out til birth and pray/hope everything is a-ok
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 pm

I can tell you that they always, very carefully examine the spine during your anatomy scan. I had several scans during my pregnancy for the clubfeet and they told me that they would definitely have been able to detect SB if it had been present. There's an actual opening in the spine that can be seen on US. If you had a scan and the spine looked normal, trust that it is.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Okay thats good to know. Thanks :)
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies