Question about autism and hungry babies

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Question about autism and hungry babies

Postby LemonJelly » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:35 pm

My Mum read about a link between extremely hungry, fast growing babies and autism. My brother is severly autistic (non verbal) and he was a very hungry baby who grew rapidly in his first year.

The theory is that the body grows too fast and the brain sort of gets left behind.

Has anyone heard of this or experienced similar?

Charlie is ebf and currently around the 75th centile on growth charts - I want to be proud of how fast he's growing and what a chubby little boy he is - 5 1/2 weeks and already 11lb 5oz! but my fears about autism niggle in the back of my mind. I won't let them stop me from enjoying my baby - but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has heard of or experienced this link?
Image Image

Image Image

Gill 30, Working Mum to Charlie, born 6 October 2008 8lb 9oz. I nursed my sweet boy for 2 years, 8 months and 5 days :hb: TTC with PCOS, BFP 6 March, first clomid cycle, after over 2 years waiting. Due date 15 Nov.
LemonJelly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Petal4 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 pm

I've never heard that theory before. My baby was large at birth (9lbs 4oz) and was also very hungry. He was taking 4oz every 2 hours from birth and was on stage 2 formula by 3 weeks old.

He is now slightly underweight and in no way autisitc. I'm sure your son is fine. :D

Hayley x
Me (Hayley) - 33 (Hypothyroid)
DF (Paul) - 43
DD (Hollie) - 10
DS (Ethan) - born 20th Sept 07 (9lbs 4oz)
Petal4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sominspecial231 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 am

my son is autistic and he was a very hungry baby during the first year..but i think that was just him having a good appetite..cuz now it is hard to get him to eat regular meals..but he doesn't have a problem with drinking his milk... he was never past the 50% in height or weight...the size of his head was a clue...it has always been in the 95%..Jayce's head is just about 20 inches around!!my 4 year old daughters head is smaller then my sons 8O ...good luck and the only thing you can do is just pay attention to his development as he grows...im sure you know all the clues to look for becuz your brother is Autistic
sominspecial231
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby sweetpea3 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:29 pm

I have read recent studies that indicate overly-rapid head growth as compared to body growth as a marker...that does not indicate in any way that every child or even most children with this have autism...it just means it's a good thing to watch these children a bit closer so that if there is a problem, it can be identified sooner. hth. enjoy your robust baby without worries!!!
sweetpea3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies