20 weeks and irregular heartbeat, missed beats

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

20 weeks and irregular heartbeat, missed beats

Postby slindsay » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:34 pm

I am getting very nervous about this, it is the second appointment that I have had that the baby has had a very irregular heartbeat with lots of missed beats making it seem very slow. Even on the home doppler it sounds very abnormal. The OB is sending me to a perinatologist for an echocardiogram/level II u/s hopefully this week. Does anyone have any experience with this? TIA.
Image Image Image Image
slindsay
Angel
Angel

Postby angelmomma » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

I do not have experience with this. My DD was born with 3 heart defects and had open-heart surgery at 5 months old. She never did have an irregular heartbeat though. Our peri did the level II sonos and we saw our pediatric cardiologist for the echocardiograms.

I just wanted to say that I'm praying for you and your little one. I hope your appt goes well and this resolves itself. KUP. :hugs:
angelmomma
Angel
Angel

Postby slindsay » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 am

Thanks for posting. I can't find anyone who has experience with this and they tell me it is common! When did you guys discover the heart defects? That must have been so hard. Is she fine now?
Image Image Image Image
slindsay
Angel
Angel

Postby mamalynn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 pm

hugs to you mama! pj did not have irregular beats, his heart beat was rapid. he was diagnosed with av canal defect ( large hole in the heart) at 18-19 weeks. he underwent two surgeries at about 6 months old and is doing great. hopefully the peri can find out more or send you to a pediatric cardiologist. prayers to you and your bean.

angelmomma, i just love your siggy pics! what a beauty!
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby angelmomma » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Lindsay,

Our peri suspected Dextrocardia at 20 weeks (heart flipped backwards in right chest). However that was ruled out and we were told her heart was slightly rotated and on the right side (called dextro-position). It wasn't confirmed as true dextocardia until the open-heart surgery by the surgeon 8O . We found out at 26 weeks that she had a large VSD (ventricular septal defect). It's a hole between the right and left bottom chambers. After birth, they found 2 small ASDs (holes in between the right and left top chambers). This allowed blood to freely recycle between her heart and lungs and not distribute good oxygenated blood to her body. She is doing great today. She still has a hard time gaining weight. She just hit 19 lbs! Her VSD and ASDs were closed with surgery. They cannot fix the dextrocardia but expect her to have a normal life. She's not on any heart medication right now!

It's amazing the things they can learn by sonogram. So, I hope you are able to meet with a cardiologist soon. He/She will hopefully have a better idea of what's going on. I will warn you that the echo with the cardiologist can be long and uncomfortable. We had some that lasted nearly 2 hours because Reagan wouldn't stay still. So wear some comfy, stretchy pants :D . Keep us posted. Still praying for you and your LO. Do you know the sex yet?

Hi Michelle, Thanks! I guess I need to take my Christmas pics out of my siggie, huh? It's good to see you around! PJ is such a handsome little devil!
angelmomma
Angel
Angel

Postby mamalynn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

yeah, wear comfy clothes and make sure they get you in quickly if you have a full bladder. i nearly passed out the first time because they waited so long!

angelmomma- pj is barely 22 lbs and he just lost because of back to back illnesses. pj had sensory issues with food, so getting him to eat is an uphill battle!
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby slindsay » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks for the posts girls, any info is helpful at this point so I have some idea of what I can expect.

I had no idea the sono could last so long and be so uncomfortable.

I have an appointment on Friday with the pediatric cardiologist and I am very nervous. Even on home fetal doppler it sounds very abnormal and it is very scary.

That is so amazing that they can do surgery like that on a six month old and she is not even on medication now. What a scary time that must have been for you, I am so glad things are okay.
Image Image Image Image
slindsay
Angel
Angel

Postby angelmomma » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Please post after your appointment. We will be thinking about you on Friday. Where are you? We live in Texas and had everything done at Medical City Dallas.

Michelle, Wow, PJ is getting big. I was doing good keeping weight on Reagan until she started walking. She is so active and I can't keep her from burning all her calories up. I feed the child cookies every night after dinner and she's still tiny!
angelmomma
Angel
Angel

Postby JLT » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Owen was born with a number of heart defects collectively known as Shone's Complex. He spent 4 weeks at Children's Hospital and had a few episodes of arrythmia. It's not the same as what you're hearing, but he went into SVT when he was 2 weeks old (very fast heartrate) and it was controlled with Digoxin and Procainamide. After his heart surgery to repair his narrow aorta, he had an episode of bradycardia (slow heartrate) so they stopped his Procainamide and just kept him on Digoxin. He had a heart cath done this past Friday to open up his aortic valve and his cardiologist stopped the Digoxin. I check his heartrate now about every 30 mins because it makes me nervous that he will go into SVT again. But he had outgrown his dose that he was on and wasn't having any problems so they feel that he has outgrown his arrythmia.
ME 28
DH 31
DS 1 - Born with a congenital heart defect - Shone's Complex
First heart surgery @ 19 days old
Next cardiologist appt 01.13.11

ImageImageImage
JLT
Angel
Angel

Postby my2girls » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 pm

How did your appt go?

DS had the same arrythmia I think. He had very frequent PAC's at 19 weeks, and it seemed his heartrate was really slow. I think it was related to stress (I was in horrible pain from a kidney stone when they first heard it). It went away for the most part within a month, and he didn't have any heart defect at all. I hope the same for you.
Kelley (29), dh (32), dds (5 and 7)

my2girls
Addicted
Addicted

Postby slinds » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi girls. Sorry I have not posted sooner, life has been crazy for me lately and my old username does not allow me on anymore. :roll:

my2girls - it is interesting that you think it may have been due to stress because I have also been under a huge amount of stress. DH got a new job and we had to leave friends, family, job behind to relocate halfway across the country. The PAC has already been going on for five weeks, I hope it ends soon!

That is exactly what my LO was diagnosed with - very frequent PAC's or premature atrial contractions and it does make the heartrate sound slow. From what they could see in the echocardiogram there was no structural defect so that is very good news. I guess the only catch with that is that all of the structures are not totally formed yet. The pediatric cardiologist said this was the best reason to have an arythmia and hopefully he would outgrow it before or soon after birth. It is basically an extra electrical pathway or stimulus of the atria to contract and because it happens early the ventrical is not ready to contract so it skips a beat. This happens every third beat which is very frequent for this kind of problem. I have to be monitored twice a week now by the OB to make sure the heartrate does not get high - this can happen with an electrical problem I guess and then the baby would be at risk for heart failure if I was not medicated to control it. So far, the rate has always been pretty slow. I go back next week for another echo.

Thanks for everyone's input and support.
ImageImage
ImageImage
slinds
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Special Needs Babies