Adoption process question

Considering adoption? Meet others who are going through the adoption process.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Adoption process question

Postby Ahavati » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:02 pm

I have 2 beautiful boys from my ex that I would never trade for the world, however the relationship with my ex ended soon after my second was born. It took 2 years after being separated before I could afford a divorce.

Well I have since married the most wonderful man ever and we had our own child together. My boys were young when we met ( 3 and 1) so DH is really the only daddy they have known or remember.

So today my ex contacts me after not hearing from him in almost a year and asks if he signs away his rights, will mu DH adopt the boys. We have been wanting this forever. He wouldn't do it before out of stubborness (but yet wouldn't see the boys or pay support).

So now I need to figure out what I need to do to have DH adopt the boys. How do you choose a lawyer? What do you look for? My ex is currently in AL, does he need to be here when this happens?

Anyone else go through this and can share their experience?
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby srayking » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:17 am

My brother went thru this,kinda. His new wife had a son before they met. She did not put the father on the birth cert. so they had to put an ad in the paper to notify him. (So I don't know about your ex has to be there or not)

What I know they had to find a lawyer and have a home inspection just like they would have if they are adopting a child not her own. Good luck.
Sarah/Wife to James (10 yrs)
ImageImage
ImageImage
srayking
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tkmeawynow » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:26 am

We did this with my 2 daughters. We just found a family lawyer it cost about $500 since it was uncontested we had to take the girls to see a guardian adladem (sp) and then my ex just had to sign the papers and have them notarized he did not ave to be in court
1st Grandbaby due Sept. 23, 2012!!
JAYDIAN-17,LEGACEY-15
GABY-12,BRADEN-4
Grayson- 1
ANGEL BABY AT 10WEEKS 3-10
tkmeawynow
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MomTo2Boys » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:49 am

my husband just did this with a son he had in a previous relationship. They live out in Colorado (we are in Indiana), and we got the adoption papers in the mail from her attorney.

I would find an adoption attorney, and they can probably handle everything for you, as far as the paperwork that your ex needs to sign.
~*Melissa*~
DS1 05.07.09 - born at 34w 4d
DS2 07.26.10 - born at 35w 2d
DS3 11.01.11 - born at 36w 5d

ImageImageImage
MomTo2Boys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shoupnbaby » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 pm

my brother married his wife when her baby was 2 months old from previous relationship. baby daddy signed away rights and my brother adopted. this was 11 years ago, and the funny thing is he looks like my brother!!! i think this is the best thing that could have happened because the child has the stability of one household and one set of parents.
Shoupnbaby
Angel
Angel

Return to Adoption