Low Platlet Count Anyone?

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Low Platlet Count Anyone?

Postby NikkiNikki » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 am

This is my third pregnancy with low platlet counts. It gets worse the further along I get. I think the statistics say 3% of mothers will have this happen and there isn't a known cause. Mine get low enough that I have to see a hemotologist but again none of my doctors really DO anything about it and there doesn't seem to be a miracle vitamin or drug to help it. Steriods will bring the number up but only temporarilty.

Just wondering if any moms have had this or know of any interventions? Would be nice to stay pregnant passed 37 weeks and avoid induction for once.
NikkiNikki
Star Member
Star Member

Postby monesue » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi, I have ITP (i've had it since I was 6) It's pretty aggressive during pregnancy for me and started this time at week 12.

I wondered if you had visited the pdsa website about low platelets? There is a forum about low platelets during pregnancy and although it is generally pretty quiet there are many topics and stories to read that may relate to your personal situation.

I have treatment called ivig every 3 weeks and closer to delivery I will be put on steriods for a couple of weeks prior to csction. My son was born at 34 weeks but more due to the fact that I stopped responding to the ivig and they were concerned about having me on steriods for 2 months.

what kind of plan they put in place for you depends on how you respond to treatment but there are definitely other options available. Have a look at the website and if you have any other questions feel free to ask
xx

http://www.pdsa.org/assets/pdf/itp_preg_web1.pdf

http://discuss.pdsa.org/default.asp?CAT_ID=8
me - susan (33) OH- Paul (34) DS Nicholas (5)

monesue
Angel
Angel

Postby Lauren1980 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am

I have what they call Gestational Thrombocytopaenia. So, I don't normally have low platelets, but while pregnant they apparently drop. Unfortunately for me on hospital bed rest, any time you show having low platelets, they freak out about whether or not you have pre-eclampsia. Seriously, I think they're just trying to will the label of PE onto me! Anyway, for G-tcp, they don't actually do anything for me other than watch my platelets to make sure they don't drop too low.
Lauren1980
Friend

Re: Low Platlet Count Anyone?

Postby Jess9342 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm

I have TTP (very similar to ITP, only difference is it's not idiopathic) and I've been worried about relapsing now that I'm pregnant. I'm going to request monthly blood counts at my appointment so hopefully if it comes back we can catch it before it gets too bad.

@monesue: how do they treat your ITP during pregnancy? Do you have plasmapheresis treatments? Or just steroids and ivig? And are the symptoms the same when it starts to come around during your pregnancy? Light headed, bruising, easy bleeding etc? Thanks for the links (even though they weren't meant for me :wink: ) I'll definitely check them out.

All my hemo will tell me is I probably won't relapse so I shouldn't worry about it. He insists that it can be brought on by stress so I need to stop stressing over it. I wish he wasn't such a good hemo, he's kind of a jerk..
Me: 30
DH: 36
Ratchet (furbaby): 3
Einstein (shelled baby?): about 6 (he's a Red Ear Slider turtle)

09/20/12 - BFP
10/12/12 - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum
10/15/12 - Medical m/c started
2/17/13 - BFP!! Hoping this one sticks :)
3/18/13 - Heard and saw the heartbeat! Measuring at 8w4d so I'm right on schedule.
4/01/13 - HB 174 BPM

Jess9342
Friend

Return to High Risk Pregnancy