Low progesterone asked in a few places/desperate for support

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Low progesterone asked in a few places/desperate for support

Postby BabyWishes87 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:51 pm

DH and I are both 24 years old and have been TTC for 7 months. On March 6 I got my BFP...I am a few days short of 6 weeks pregnant. About a week and a half ago I woke up to pee in the middle of the night and was horrified when I found some light pink on the toilet paper. I talked to my midwife about it the next day and she said as long as there is no more than I should be okay.

About 3 days ago I went to the bathroom and again had a scare. After using the bathroom (pee!) I saw something floating in the toilet. It looked like a bugger with a spec of blood in it. So now I was definitely freaking out. It was not at all like a blood clot that I pass during AF, much smaller and more mucus than blood...still terrifying.

I called my midwife, she really had no answers for me.

I had blood work done yesterday that showed a high HCG level (5,410) and a very very low progesterone level (5!) ... I asked to be put on supplements and though my midwife said that research shows that it doesn't help, she agreed to call it in. First she called in a vaginal gel for the supplement. The insurance company can take up to 72 hours to approve it and my midwife said there is a high chance they won't approve it..so in the mean time she called in an oral supplement which I have heard is much less effective. I am not a doctor, so I don't really know.

Last night, I again had some pink on the toilet paper. more than last time but still none in my underwear and not red, just pink...still - blood is blood.

My midwife says that she is extremely concerned about my progesterone levels being so low and that she hates to tell me how concerned she is...and at the same time she says that my high HCG levels are encouraging.

My ultrasound is on Thursday (the day of my deceased fathers birthday none the less) and I'm really scared and anxious.

I feel hopeless, helpless, depressed, and scared. I feel like at this point there is no hope and a miscarriage is inevitable..

The worst part is that I feel very alone. Nobody seems to understand the emotional pain that I am going through. A friend of mine brought her baby over today and another one keeps reminding me that she is finding out the sex of her baby today. I am SO happy for them, I truly love these people and their babies.... but I am hurting SO much right now.
BabyWishes87
Friend

Postby curteisye » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Hugs to you. Getting pregnant is some times just the beginning of the worry for mommas. I know they talk about the controversy of progetsrone supplimentation versus not, but it really doesn't hurt to support it. There is an over the counter cream available that you might be able to find while you wait for a judgement from insurance. I believe it is more effective than the pill and can certainly be taken even if you are taking the pill. Also lots and lots of women spot early on in their pregnancy as their little one is cozying into place and they go on to have a very successful pregnancy. GL to you and I hope you get very good news with your ultrasound.
Carrie Me 36 DH 34 DS#1 6 ; DS#2&3 born 3/11/09. Lost DS#3 to SIDS 10/14/09 - I miss my angel every day.
curteisye
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BabyWishes87 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 am

Thank you! I am trying to take this one day at a time now...

The thing that scares me most is having a miscarriage and then trying again, only to have another one (and another one and another one).. What I'm going through now makes me scared to want to try again because I don't want to go through this again (However, I do want a baby SO badly, so we WILL try again)..

Thank you again for your response..hopefully everything will work out, and if not this time - next time.
BabyWishes87
Friend

Postby Lizc0002 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:58 am

I always spot and bleed during early pregnancy and I too was put on progresterone supplements (even though my progesterone never tested very low, I was put on them due to my age, 37 and 39 with 2nd and 3rd pregnancies and after an early loss) I can tell you the progesterone supplementation never stopped my spotting. My first pregnancy I had no supplementation and spotted, and I spotted when I supplemented. Good luck, I know the wait for the first US is torturous, I went through it 3 times. Just remember light pink can be completely benign, heavy red is much more concerning, although not always a sign you are miscarrying either.

Liz
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cordy79 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:08 am

I bleed everything from dark brown to bright red during the first 14 weeks of pregnancy and automatically felt it would be over. I know it's FAR easier said than done but keep your chin up, my son is 9 months old now and the worry never left me for a moment the entire pregnancy. I was completely convinced it would never be me. Sending prayers your way hun xx
Kyle James finally arrived 26/06/2011 6 lbs 3oz by emergency C section. xx
cordy79
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Low progesterone asked in a few places/desperate for sup

Postby snflowr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Progesyerone doesn't help IF the embryo is not developing, as in chromosomal disorders. It is just not meant to work. If your hcg is fine, I wouldn't be scared. When the unfortunate on and off bleeding happened with me and I lost at 6 wks, I read in more than one place that if you bleed there's a 50% chance of full term development. I would take the progesterone and survive week 12, then it should be fine.
TTC #1 since Nov 2013; 38yo
BFP May 2014, lost at 5.5 wks.
BFP Aug 2014 w/twins, lost at 9 wks
snflowr
Friend

Return to High Risk Pregnancy