Prednisone during pregnancy

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Prednisone during pregnancy

Postby jlojenjen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi ladies,

For any of you on Prednisone during pregnancy, what dosage are you on? I started on 5mg, but my Rheumatologist seemed to think I may need more. Well, a week after starting 5mg, I started having flares of my auto-immune disease (combo of Lupus, RA, Schleroderma, Polymyositis). So, I bumped it up to 7.5mg, and left a voicemail for my Rheumy to see if that was ok. Never got a response after two calls.

Now, a week later, I'm starting to have flares again in the afternoon. I'm starting to think I need a higher dose, around 10mg. Just afraid to take too much. I know 10mg is still low, but I want to stay as low as possible.

In November, I had adrenal failure because I was tapering off of Prednisone, and my body wasn't ready for it (due to external stressors). I missed 4 months of work! Prednisone is a blessing and a curse. It's finding the right balance :)

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Blog: broxtonbaby.blogspot.com

After 7 years of TTC...3 ivf's, 4 IUI's, and 2 miscarriages, we got pregnant naturally...God is good!

Beta#1: 8/20 - 286
Beta#2: 8/22 - 659 (doubling time 39 hrs)
Beta#3: 8/27 - 5,343 (doubling time 39hrs)
U/S#1 8/31 - Gest. sac and yolk sac (5wks/5days)
U/S #2 9/10 - Heartbeat 144 :)
U/S #3 9/12 due to some bleeding - Heartbeat 170...possible SCH forming
U/S #4 9/17 HB 166, SCH smaller :)
jlojenjen
Angel
Angel

Postby Sabermama » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm not currently on it but very well might be soon. I did a taper from April to mid-May when I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and it's still not well controlled. I was told not to take my Mesalamine while pregnant so I'm off that now and things are shaky. I'm going to ask my doc about using pred at my first appointment and I'll definitely update!
Sabermama
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Prednisone during pregnancy

Postby jbnelmom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 am

I take 10mg daily for asthma. My doctor said it was Ok to take and had very small risk to the overall benefit. I suspect that during the next 9 months I will have higher doses that taper back down as that is the cycle of my asthma.
jbnelmom

Re: Prednisone during pregnancy

Postby miss kitty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi ladies,
I have been on 15-20mg of prednisone since the beginning of my pregnancy. I also take Norco for the pain, mainly in the morning when my RA's the worst. I'm being monitored by a perinatologist for both medications; there is a (very, very) slight risk of a cleft lip/palate with prednisone as well as preterm labor so these are the things I'm closely being watched for. I have ultrasounds every two weeks to check my cervix and ultrasounds every four weeks to check anatomical growth and baby's face. To combat the potential risks of preterm labor he's put me on a weekly injection of progesterone. All I can say about that is OUCH!
Prednisone is definitely a blessing and a curse; my options are pretty limited though at this point. And since my RA isn't under control unfortunately I think I'm kind of stuck with it for now :/
miss kitty
Friend

Return to High Risk Pregnancy