Two Week Wait

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy
Post a reply


Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 am

cross-posted from January due dates

I've been posting about this in the FB group, but maybe I'll get some more responses from people with experience if I post here. Pre-eclampsia. I have it. Anyone else? What was your outcome?

I am 29 weeks. My blood pressure has been creeping toward high all pregnancy & it finally tipped over the edge into a place the doctor doesn't like at my most recent prenatal. She ordered a 24-hour urine catch to look for protein, bloodwork to assess my liver & kidney function, & a repeat blood pressure check for a week later. Bloodwork came back perfect. Urinalysis came back with protein--I scored 280, & I guess 300 is considered definite diagnostic criteria for pre-eclampsia. Blood pressure was still high seven days later, & there was still protein in my urine.

She put me on blood pressure medication (labetolol) twice a day, & prescribed an at-home blood pressure machine. I have to take my blood pressure once or twice a day & log it for appointments. I just started that yesterday & so far, it's been high-ish but not too crazy. I've also been accelerated to weekly prenatals, & each one will include a biophysical profile to assess the baby's growth, movement, heart rate, amniotic fluid levels, & breathing reflexes. In the event that the baby fails a BPP or I start showing signs of maternal distress (vision changes, headaches, etc), they will probably start talking induction.

I am acquainted with a few other women who had pre-eclampsia or gestational hypertension, & all of them have healthy kids now, but all of them wound up with premature births. I am really, really hoping to make it to term (I mean, who isn't?). I'm scared because I am showing symptoms so early--making it to 37 weeks seems like climbing Mount Everest. But I'm encouraged by my reasonable at-home blood pressure readings & my lack of major edema. I seem to have a lot of good fetal movement & good fundal measurements. I'm looking forward to the first BPP on Wednesday to get a peek at baby & see how she's handling the situation.

Anyone else dealing with this, either now or in a previous pregnancy?

Re: pre-eclampsia

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:42 pm

I was told that I had pre-eclampsia at 35 weeks as my BP was up and total protein came back at 389. Since baby looked good, my OB had me come in for NSTs twice per week and repeated my labs one week later. Somehow, my protein dropped to around 115! My OB had no explanation for the drop, but told me they were still going to watch me closely since my BP was up. I made it to 39 weeks and was induced because my BP was up to 150/100 and they said there was no reason to wait any longer. Good luck with things! Hopefully, you can keep your little one baking for several more weeks.

Re: pre-eclampsia

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks! I appreciate hearing some stories with happy endings.

Re: pre-eclampsia

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 am

I have a happy ending too but it may not be the results you're hoping for.

I had a NST at 31w6d (on a Thursday). I had several high BP readings that day and with one exception, my BP had been normal my whole pregnancy. I called my OB who saw me on Monday. I had a low level of protein in my urine and my BP was still up. He ordered bloodwork and a 24 hour urine. That Thursday I had an appt with my MFM. He got the results of my 24 hour urine while I was there and it came back at right under 1000. This was at 32w6d. He immediately ordered bedrest and gave me the first dose of the steriod shot - this was around noon. By 4pm my water broke. They gave me antibiotics and kept me in the hospital. They were going to try to hold me off until I could get the second dose of the steriod shot and wait a couple days for it to be effective to deliver me. But overnight I started having active labor contractions and delivered my girls via c section the next morning, at 33 weeks exactly. My girls spent 19 days in the NICU but they're now 4.5 months old and doing really well with no major delays or health issues (so far).

I've heard plenty of stories where a diagnosis of pre-e doesn't automatically mean delivery is imminent. My dr did tell me that he wouldn't let me go past 37 weeks but my girls had other plans!

Good luck and I really hope you're able to keep your LO cooking for a while longer. But make sure you take it easy.
Post a reply
Milkies Milksaver
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend