Atrial Fibrillation/Dysrythmia while pregnant

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Atrial Fibrillation/Dysrythmia while pregnant

Postby SILKROSE1982 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 pm

In January, I had trouble breathing and felt my heart out of control. I'm a nurse, so I felt my pulse and talked dh through taking my bp. I felt my pulse and knew I was in atrial fibrillation. I called 911. I spent three days in the ICU on a chemical drip called cardizem until my heart converted back to normal sinus rhythm. I had a echocardiogram (its an ultrasound of your heart to check for abnormalities). That came back perfect.

It was discovered that my thyroid was out of whack. I also have Hashimotos and Hypothyroidism (Thyroid disorder/autoimmune disorder). I've had this for years and never had a problem. They THINK this might have been the cause, but really had no real reason why I went into the rhythm.

Exaclty a month later, in February, the same thing happened. I went back to the ICU and stayed only two days this time. I converted on the chemical drip after 12 hours. Still no reason. I now take a daily medication to control my heart rate.

We found out about our surprise in April. I am SUPER worried about the complications of being on this medication (cardiologist and OB approved it for pregnancy but said it can affect baby's heart rate). I am super worried about delivery and L&D. I had 42 hours of labor with dd. I did 37 of it natural and got so tired I asked for an epi that failed. So, I got the joy of feeling everything.

I have been looking into hypnobirthing. I used relaxation and movement and guided imagery with dd and that worked...but the goal is to keep my heart rate down and pain in control. I do NOT want an epi or a c section if I can avoid it.

I pray to God I don't go back into afib while pregnant, because that could be terrible. The medication they used to convert me is terrible for unborn baby. The only other option is cardioversion (Electric shock).
Me: 29, DH: 27
DD: Kaitlyn (2/14/11) Our little Valentine :)
Walking at 9 months!!! Started at 8 months...
SILKROSE1982
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to High Risk Pregnancy