question about my hcg levels

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

question about my hcg levels

Postby candybeers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 pm

I've been questioning when I actually got pregnant because I have irregular cycles and I've been having clear pregnancy symptoms for about two months now. I did have what I thought was maybe a period on September 6th, but it was only a day long, hardly any bleeding, and no cramps which is highly unusual for me since I always have terribly painful periods. I didn't give it much thought though until I missed my period entirely at the beginning of October. I took a test and it was very, very positive. I already had very sore, swollen boobs, VERY hungry which is not like me, taste changes, smelling everything, moody, tired, mild aches in my uterus area off and on, peeing all the time, tummy issues, and so on. Today I went to my family doctor to get confirmation of pregnancy professionally with an HCG quant. blood test. The result came back at 36212 thousand MIU/ML and my result was flagged as HIGH. Now I did tell them that I didn't know whether or not my last period was in September or August since I had that weird experience on September 6th very light bleeding for a day. Apparently, they just wrote down on my records that my last period was indeed on September 6th which would make me merely 5-6 weeks pregnant. I'm pretty sure the reason why my hcg levels are flagged as high is because I'm not 5-6 weeks pregnant at all, but more like 10-12 which would explain why I've already got a little baby bump (I'm tall and very thin with normally a very flat tummy) so this obvious baby bump is not normal for my build. I was just wondering what other people's hcg levels were at 5-6 weeks pregnant and what they were at from 10-12 weeks for most people? I've heard online that a high hcg level this early could indicate twins too. This is my 1st pregnancy so I'm just really craving information. Thanks for any help!
candybeers
Friend

Re: question about my hcg levels

Postby Kryssy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:24 am

I didn't want to read and leave so my thoughts are to ask for a dating ultrasound. That is pretty much the only way to find out exactly how far along you are. I would ask very soon as once you get into the second trimester it gets hard to use the ultrasound for exact dating purposes.

I found out at late 8 weeks and my pee stick was very positive! That one day of bleeding could have been implantation bleeding or any number of other things that cause bleeding in early pregnancy. You can't really go by Beta or HCG results other than are they doubling and are you pregnant other than that they are pretty much just a guessing game and cause more concern than they are worth lol

My guess is you are farther along and the one day of bleeding was a implantation. I would go back and say I wanted a dating ultrasound to figure it out plus if it does happen to be twins you would find out then as well.

I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy either way.
Me: Kryssy 32
DH: 28
DS: Born Dec. 27, 2010
DS: Born Aug. 30, 2012
DD: Born Dec. 12, 2013
5 Angels.

ImageImage
Kryssy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby candybeers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:05 am

Thank u for responding. I'm going to call on Monday to see if I can get back in to get an ultrasound. I'll post an update when I get more info. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It helps to not be alone.
candybeers
Friend

Postby momoftreasures » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am

I was at the ER at 7 weeks and had an hcg level of 84,000. Healthy pregnancy and only one baby.
momoftreasures

Postby Whig » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:16 am

Those darn doctors... they did the same thing to me, it was very frustrating. I had my last real period Aug 3, had what I thought was a period on Sept 8 but it was shorter and way lighter, especially after an almost 40 day cycle. I didnt think anything of it, moved on with the next cycle, and 3 weeks later started vomiting at every bad smell. I took a cheapy test just for fun and it was instantly positive. I took another one an hour later with barely a hold and definitely diluted and still instantly positive. That week I continued to feel sick and nauseous, much like I did during my 6th week with my DD.
I called the dr the next week as I had some bleeding and they wrote down that my last period was Sept 8., making me just over 4 weeks. I kept insisting that I just didnt think it could be, that based on my symptoms and the rapidly positive test, I had to be at least 6 weeks. They basically humored me and had me come in for a beta. Well, my beta was 187,000 MIU/ML and that was also flagged as "high" for 4 weeks (duh). So they got me in for a u/s and I was actually measuring over 7 weeks.

My guess is also that your bleeding was IB, so to get an idea of how far you are, I would count a week back from that day to be around the time when you ovulated, and then add 2 weeks before then. Looks like your dates are similar to mine, so I'd say you are probably 11 or 12 weeks, give or take.

I'm sorry they won't give you an u/s, it's so annoying when they are so rigid. I understand why they are, but still, we do tend to know how our bodies work so it would be nice to be acknowledged for that!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

DD #1 - Cecelia Kathryn - June 18, 2011
This baby is another GIRL!!!! - Calliope Jean
Whig
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to High Risk Pregnancy