Am I high risk now?

Place to talk and find support for high risk pregnancy

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Am I high risk now?

Postby justxher » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:31 am

We had a second trimester loss and I'm wondering if that automatically makes me high risk now. The loss was due to external factor (caught an infection) and so I am worried they will say I am not high risk and that it was just a fluke. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this, I really think I'll need the extra monitoring if I get pregnant again or I will go crazy with anxiety.

Also does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to avoid this in the future? I am terrified it will happen again, I know this time around we were under extreme stress in the last few weeks and I'm wondering if that's what weakened my immune system so much. Other than that the only thing I can think of is just constant hand washing and not eating out as much. But I don't want to go crazy and live in a bubble either
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Re: Am I high risk now?

Postby s4mm13 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:09 pm

I honestly think it's too early for you to be worrying about this. You need to take time to heal physically and grieve for the loss of your son.

When you're ready have an open and frank conversation with your doctor. Talk through with them your concerns. If they don't seem to take you seriously, find a new doctor.

What happened to you is very rare and will highly unlikely happen again, but I understand the anxiety that comes with a pregnancy after a loss even if the chance of the same complications occurring a second time are minimal.

Try and be kind to yourself. Understand that there was nothing you did that caused this. You didn't do anything wrong and there was nothing you could do to prevent it. I know that's hard to deal with. I know you want reasons and are blaming yourself. I've been there and I still blame myself for not being able to protect my own son.

Take your time, don't rush yourself. This is a life changing experience that will make you a completely different person but most of all be kind to yourself.

I wish you peaceful and gentle days ahead as you find your way along this very difficult path. Xx
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

Arlo William, our beautiful rainbow born safely 22nd July 2015

s4mm13

Re: Am I high risk now?

Postby justxher » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:47 am

Thank you very much for your response.

I have my 6 week check up in mid August and just want to make sure I am prepared for it with all my questions so that I don't walk out of there feeling uncertain. I've found that doctors usually don't give you more information than what you specifically ask for. I need to know that there will be specific things I can do next time to boost my immune system and avoid exposure to harmful bacteria and that there will be better monitoring and testing available. I will definitely switch OBs if I feel that mine is not taking my concerns seriously.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Return to High Risk Pregnancy