August 08 Mamas, ~~part 2~~

This board is for anyone who wants to join or start a buddy group!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby qtpietara » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi ladies! I'm not sure if any of you remember me, but I'm an August '08 mommy too, soon to be a Feb '10 mommy! I stumbled across this thread today, and I recognize a lot of you. Your little ones are adorable!
Tehra -28 Richard -27

DSD - 6
DD - 3
DS - 9 months
ImageImageImage
qtpietara
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby missnita » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Heya ladies! Just checking in! It's been quiet around here, but I know a lot of us are busy with new little ones, or little ones on the way :)

I'm 33wks preggo tomorrow. Holy smokes! 6 weeks until my c-section. All has been well. I've lost 23lbs this pregnancy. Yup, LOST. Doctors [I have two] aren't concerned at all, so that's good. But baby is on the smaller side, around 35th percentile at last u/s which was around 28wks. However, I feel he had a huge growth spurt, because my belly feels HUGE now.

I threw out my back about two weeks ago & was in agony, so I was on Tylenol 3 for about a week or so. Luckily I'm healed up for the most part, besides typical pregnancy back pain, hehe. Taking care of a 2 year old & being 8 months pregnant is tiring & I'm only really now starting to feel exhausted ALL.THE.TIME. The smallest tasks feel like monumental undertakings, like laundry, cooking etc. UGH. I remember how agonizing the last month or so is...you just feel like a big lump that can't/doesn't want to do anything.

To top it all off, we're moving on October 8th. We just weren't happy with our apartment, no matter how lovely it was in appearance & space wise. Plus, even though we could certainly afford it, we felt like we were throwing money out the window when we could buy our own home or in the least be renting a full house. So we're moving into an apartment in my in-laws basement...ick. It's temporary, only for 6-7 months until Spring, but it's still a pretty small/dark/ugly place & I'm not looking forward to spending the fall & winter there. Ah well, it's saving us around $400 a month, so I guess it's worth it.

Well, off to fix some dinner for me & Oliver while DH works late!
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NatalieR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 am

Hey ladies!

I don't know where everyone else's little ones are when it comes to speech but I'm starting to feel like Taea's a little bit behind. She says a TON of words and will repeat things when we tell her to, but she still doesn't form a lot of sentences. The only things she'll really say is "I love you", "colour with me" and a couple other little sentences. I don't want to jump into some sort of speech therapy because she's so young and I know children learn at different paces, but it still kind of has me worried. Is anyone else in the same boat as us?

We've also started the big girl bed transition. I'm not a really patient person so it has probably been harder for me than her, ha! The first day I put her down for a nap and it took over an hour of me laying with her until she fell asleep. The second nap (the following day) was much easier - I only had to lay with her for about half an hour. Yesterday's nap was a little more rough - getting closer to the one hour mark. On top of that, since she's still waking up in the middle of the night, she refuses to be put back in the crib and so I have to lay with her in the BGB until she falls back asleep. Aaaaah! It's a whole new level of sleep deprivation! LOL!

Annnnd, I cannot get this child of the boob. I'm not even kidding. Two years old and still OBSESSED with boobs. As great as it is to know that she's still getting all the benefits of breastmilk, I would like to have both my body and my sanity back. I've been trying to wean her off but ugh. It's almost to the point of me regretting the decision to breastfeed.

Okay. Enough complaining. LOL! Apparently, I needed to vent. :oops:

qtpietara - I remember you! Congratulations!! Will you be finding out what you're having?
Natalie ( 30 )
Jordan ( 32 )
Taea Danielle ( August 5, 2008 )
Boober #2 ( Coming July 2013 )

NatalieR
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MK13 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 pm

We're way behind with speech. Nick only says about 12 words and doesn't want to repeat at all. He tries to imitate stuff that he hears on TV and from his toys but completely avoids any repeating of words that we try to teach him. We have a full Early Intervention speech evaluation scheduled for him in about two weeks. Looks like he might need speech therapy :(
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18
DS August 15, 2008 ... 3 weeks early
DS2 March 15, 2010 ... 3 weeks early
baby#3 ... edd 12/21/12 ... u/s at 12 weeks showed no heartbeat ... D&C at 13 weeks 6/14/12

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missnita » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:38 am

Nat: I'm sure you do, but never hurts to ask...when you're reading, do you ask her to repeat things, esp. new words or do you ask her, in general, to repeat things you say? When we say to Oliver "Hey, can you say this for mommy & daddy?" & then give him something to repeat, he usually can say it no problem [as long as it's not too hard] or he at least attempts it. I think he's learned a lot of new words & phrases this way. Also, he just started watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse a couple of months ago & it's become his favorite show...he now knows several shapes & had learned lots of words from the show.

I was SO worried about Oliver's speech, because he didn't say his first real word until around December of '09 at 16 months old. Now he really does not stop talking. He's in the "What's that?" stage...constantly asking what everything is & then repeating the new word when we tell him. Two days ago we were watching TV & he said "soccer ball"...sure enough, there was a soccer ball on the screen, but I've never taught him what a soccer ball is.

With all this new speech though, his behavior has gotten lousy. Or maybe it's just the terrible two thing. Just a few minutes ago he knocked everything off the coffee table & said, about himself, "Why'd you do that?!" [because we often ask him why he's done something when he's naughty]. He sits on the edge of the sofa or bed & kind of teeters there & will say "woooooah. Be careful." to himself, lol, as he giggles. My day is filled with a chattering toddler throwing things, pulling my hair, deliberately messing up his room, throwing things down our stairs...SO.MUCH.FUN.

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rleash » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Hey Nat,

Noah has always been pretty far ahead in terms of vocabulary (his pediatrician was very impressed he knew over 100 words at his 18 month checkup) yet he still doesn't speak in sentences. But just this week, he started putting 2 words together here and there ("Here, mommy" "more milk" and my fav, "Kitty! Bad girl!" (even though the kitty is a boy.. but he hears us yell at the dog, who is a girl, more often) :) )

He even told me a whole story the other day, all in nouns. He saw me reading my library book, and recounted the whole previous day's trip when we went to go get the book: "Mommy book. Library. Lady byebye. Car. French fries!"

So I'm sure she'll get there. Noah's cousin who is the same age as him still says very few words at all.

What I DO worry about is that while Noah knows a lot of words, he doesn't pronounce them well. I wonder if I should be worried about that at all. It's like he uses the wrong first letter of most words (but is consistent). Milk is "Bilk". French fries are "Gah gies". Star is "car". yogurt is "gogurt". Mickey is "beebee" (even though he can say "mommy", M&Ms "MMs" and Monkey). And then there are some that aren't even close... like Cheerios ("doosh"), and Raviolis ("dah-dies"). I pronounce things slowly for him when he gets them wrong, but he just looks at me like, "yeah mom, I know, that's what I just said." I don't know whether he'll just figure it out on his own someday, or if I really need to work harder on it with him.

I have to say, he's also great with his colors. Thanks to a puzzle he got for his birthday, he even knows a few weird colors like "turquoise" and "rust"!

Like the rest of you with your LOs, he's definitely keeping me busy, though. He's also been getting more and more possessive. He won't even let Mommy or Daddy play with his toys, even when he's not playing with them! We're trying to nip that in the bud. One day he wanted to play with the phone, and I said "no, that phone is Mommy's. Here's Noah's phone." Then later when it rang, DH answered it, and Noah got SO mad at him! He said, "MOMMY'S!! MOMMY'SSS!!!" It was so cute, though :)
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby NatalieR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks, girls. Taea seems to be pretty much on course with everyone else, I guess. It's just frustrating when I see other people's children talking in full sentences and they're the same age as Tae. But at the same time, they are usually lacking in other areas such as climbing (we know a little girl who still can't climb onto the couch or do stairs but when she talks, it's in complete sentences; where as Taea is a complete monkey and has the stairs mastered but still hasn't figured out how to string words together).

We do spend a lot of time reading and asking her to repeat things we say and she is slowly picking them up. It's just one of those things that can't be written in a book for "milestones", I guess; every child is different. We'll probably give it a couple months and if things haven't really changed, I'll bring it up to our doctor.

As for the badness, it's in full force at our house. Taea is constantly doing things to see how far I'll let her go or how much I'll let her get away with. There are days that can't end fast enough, that's for sure! Today was definitely one of them with Taea waking up at 530AM and crying until I picked her up and layed with her in the BGB until 830AM.

Btw, I'm starting to really hate the BGB... ha!
Natalie ( 30 )
Jordan ( 32 )
Taea Danielle ( August 5, 2008 )
Boober #2 ( Coming July 2013 )

NatalieR
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bunny827 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:44 am

Hi Girls! Long time no speak! :hi: I've been reading along and just haven't had the chance to write. We've been super busy all summer with getting our house sold. We are finally hoping to close by next week and start renovating our new house..... all before the baby comes! That's a very short time away now, but of course DH thinks it can happen.

I'm feeling ok, but overall this pregnancy has not been easy or fun. I'm honestly almost 9mths preg and am still getting nauseous at times 8O As ready to not be pregnant as I am, I'm not so ready for another little one. I'm nervous about how Liam's going to feel, especially with the other big change of moving into a new house. Hopefully, all will go smoothly!

As for vocabulary, I think my little guy is pretty vocal for a boy. He really speaks mainly in sentences (3-4 words usually) and obviously loves repeating every new word he hears. I have noticed a significant language explosion since he turned 2 as well. Don't worry though if your kids don't seem to be saying as much, b/c you know they are all so different in their development!!

We are also hoping to have Liam blood tested again very soon for food allergies. We saw the allergist back in May and he thought we should wait a little longer, as the results might not have changed in that amount of time yet. The last time he was tested was over a year ago, when he had the horrible reaction to trying milk for the first time. We've been very diligent in keeping him safe and away from allergenic foods, so we're hoping that the numbers will go down and he'll outgrow the milk allergy. I get nervous even thinking about having to send him to pre-school next year if he's still milk allergic. However, I guess it will be what it will be.

Keep in touch everyone!!! :D
DS 1 August 2008
DS 2 October 2010

Baby #3- Due October 2012
Bunny827
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MK13 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Bunny ... I hear you on renovating the place! ... We were planning on completely rehabbing our kitchen (like taking everything down to the drywall) BEFORE the baby'd come but as it turned out, baby came 3 weeks early (as is our usual) and we started the rehab the day we came from the hospital ... it actually gave me a great excuse to not cook at all and just concentrate on the baby and Nick :) ... about 3 weeks later we had a brand new kitchen! (the old one was basically very dangerous to kids and even us)

Nick still isn't picking up any new words :( ... still has about 12 words that he uses over and over. Our only accomplishment of the last couple of weeks has been that he's finally started using yes and no sometimes. He has his speech development evaluation this coming Friday. He has absolutely no interest in repeating any words or even trying :(

To those getting closer to having your 2nd babies ... life with two is crazy but so worth it! I think the hardest time was when the baby was about 2-4 months ... that's when Nick started being a little jaleous and wanted more attention but now when Peter's already 6 months old, Nick's always trying to make him laugh, gives him toys to play with and just can't wait for his baby brother to be big enough to play with him. They are such a joy to watch together ... that reminds me ... here's couple pics we took two weeks ago ...

ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18
baby#3 ... edd 12/21/12 ... u/s at 12 weeks showed no heartbeat ... D&C at 13 weeks 6/14/12

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sc_ttc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Hello everyone!

Life with a toddler and a newborn has been a blessing and hectic!

My little Evan is 2 1/2 months old now and Eddie is adjusting well. The only form of jealousy he is showing is more time and attention from mommy. Aside from that, he loves his little brother and wants to help out and hug and kiss him. Then, he wants mommy, mommy, and more mommy! He was all about daddy before and now it's all about mommy. I am very happy that he's not wanting to harm or take it out on his little brother in any way. Eddie always wants to care for his "baby Evan" and makes sure that he is with us whenever we go out.

Few of you are due soon and any minute, hope that you all are doing well and to hear from you all soon!
me - 35
dh - 36

Baby #1 Aug. 12, 2008
Baby #2 Aug 2, 2010

Best Buds!

sc_ttc
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby missnita » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am

This time tomorrow I will have a new baby boy! My c-section is scheduled for 8:30am my time & wow, I'm nervous! Not about the surgery, oddly, just about life with a toddler & newborn.

Just wanted to pop in & say hello while I still have the time, haha!

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MK13 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:32 am

Good luck tomorrow! ... and try not to worry too much! After the first couple of months of temporary insanity you'll get back to normal again :) ... I found the first two or three months being mainly about trying to keep Nick away from his baby brother because he wanted to smother him with love (and anything else he'd find) ... but now with Peter being 7 months and 20lbs he's starting to be catching up to his bigger brother and I'm not so scared to keep them together ... though still under my close supervision. But Nick truly loves his baby brother. He brings him toys, blankets, Nick's super hero hearing abilities (no kidding!) come in handy when he hears his baby brother crying across the whole house and lets me know ... all in all, it's a lot of work but so much fun and joy!

One word of advice ... what I found helpful was (and I know this is usually done where there are older girls and not boys) that I got Nick a little boy doll ... it could be really anything that he could call a "baby" when the baby gets here. Nick carries his "baby" with him most of the time and when I breastfeed he's pretending to feed too (doesn't do it as much now but it kept him busy at the beginning) ... and he cradles his baby and he feels a lot more involved because he has someone to take care of when mommy's taking care of his brother ... just something to consider :)

again good luck and can't wait for the spam!
ME 35
DH 40
DSS 18

MK13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sc_ttc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Any update on missnita?

Hope you are recovering well. My 2nd c-section recovery didn't go so well. I had an infection from the staples and that took extra long time to heal. I think 7 weeks was the mark I felt back to normal. Hope yours is a lot faster!

Eddie has started potty training and is doing great! For the longest time, I would ask if he wanted to sit on the potty and he said no. I'm one of those types that I don't want to push him too much if he's not ready, so I just left it at that, but just kept asking. Plus, I swear with his temper that he wasn't going to be potty trained til 5! One day, I asked (with a little enticement, m&m) and he did it! For over a week now, when we are at home, he goes potty and gets some M&Ms each time. He even went #2 on the toilet couple of times! Now I think he needs to learn to control his bladder, cuz I swear he can pee on queue!

How are all of you doing on the potty?
me - 35
dh - 36

Baby #1 Aug. 12, 2008
Baby #2 Aug 2, 2010

Best Buds!

sc_ttc
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Bunny827 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:37 am

Hi everyone! Long time!!! I figured I should get on here while I have a spare minute. Our second baby boy, Kieran, was born on October 17th! He arrived 11 days early and came very quickly into this world! It was a short and pretty great labor/delivery for me, which I was thrilled about since Liam was induced and gave me a LONG labor. When we arrived at the hospital I was already 7 cm. to my great surprise!!!

Life with a 2 yr. old and 1 mth old is pretty crazy, but absolutely wonderful. I love my new little guy so much and never thought I could love anything as much as my first born. Honestly, having Kieran has made me just want more kids! Haha. :D However, I obviously don't love the tremendous lack of sleep and exhaustion... but it's only temporary right?!? :wink:

Hope you're all doing great!!!! I will check back for updates.... how are you all doing Nita?!?!
DS 1 August 2008
DS 2 October 2010

Baby #3- Due October 2012
Bunny827
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby missnita » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey guys!

We had our second boy, Eli, on October 22nd. He weighed 7lbs 6oz & was 20.5 inches long. My c-section went wonderfully & I was recovering very well/fast until I got an infection this past week & had to be put on antibiotics :/ I also was diagnosed with PPD & was put on celexa not even a week postpartum.

As for Eli...he was doing fine & dandy until at around the 2 week mark we took him to the doctor because we were concerned he was too yellow from jaundice. The doctor agreed & sent him for blood work. Within a couple of hours of the blood being drawn I received a call from his doctor stating that his bilirubin level was really high, but even more troublesome was his hemoglobin [blood count] which was really low, & he wanted us to go see a pediatrician right away. We met with the ped who said she wanted us to admit him to the local hospital to go under the lights for the jaundice, & she asked us to go straight to the hospital to do so. Once we got there & he was under the lights she explained that she hadn't wanted to scare us in her office, but he was going to have to go to the NICU at the IWK hospital in the largest city in our province because his hemoglobin was dangerously low. He had hemolytic anemia & the jaundice was actually a symptom of that. He was to be airlifted but the weather was really bad, so an ambulance came & got him. We drove right down separately. That night Eli had to have a blood transfusion & was also put under 6 lights for the jaundice. He spent 5 days in the NICU & we spent 5 days at the hospital/Ronald McDonald House.

Hemolytic anemia in newborns is pretty uncommon, so they looked into all possible reasons...hereditary/family issues [DH & my blood was drawn numerous times], Zantac related [there have been a few cases on Zantac induced hemolytic anemia & Eli was placed on Zantac at just under 2 weeks old] & they're even investigating 'hemolytic diseas of the newborn' also known as anti-kel. If it's anti-kel, the doctor said "we'll be having a serious talk"...so we're hoping & praying that's not the cause. Anyway, they're still investigating & the doctors are jokingly calling him "mystery baby". We go back to the IWK tomorrow for further testing with a hematologist.

Other than that, life is chaotic! Caring for a toddler & a newborn is def. trying, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be. It's been harder adjusting to the lack of sleep for sure. Plus, we're 99% sure we're moving again in January, so that'll add a whole new level of stress, lol. As much as I love both of my boys & it's nice have a sweet little baby around, I'm totally done having kids. DH had an appointment with his doctor to get a urologist referral for a vasectomy.

Congrats Bunny! Can't believe you had your little guy so long before your DD! So glad your labor & delivery went so smoothly this time around. How is Liam adjusting to having a new sibling?

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Preg/Mom Circles & Buddy Groups