The Babymakers #4

This board is for anyone who wants to join or start a buddy group!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Re: The Babymakers #4

Postby carak21 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am

Oh how I'm not excited for the teething stage. I was late getting teeth and I feel like Archer will be too. Close to 9 months.

Krissy-cute pictures! Love the one of Frankie and Kyle. I forgot to tell you I have a new nephew and his name is Kyle! Kyle Reid to be exact lol. He was born on the 7th and even though I can't stand his mother he's a cute little guy. How has Kyle done this weekend with you?

Rachel-oh how I would love to go to Amsterdam!!! I would love to go anywhere in Europe and will still beg DH all the time like I do lol. I just don't know if I could handle a flight that long! Sorry Eli had a ruff nights sleep! Hope he gets back to normal soon. Maybe put some numbing gel on his gums before bed.

We having a very poopy weekend! Poor Archer. I've ate chili the last two nights and I didn't think about it but it's effecting him poorly :( I won't make that mistake again. He has just pooped all day long and all last night. We're going to a bday party at grandmas today for cousin Ross. He's one year old on leap day February 29th but his mother doesn't have custody of all of her kids so this is the only weekend she has then all to deter. Sorry mother is what she is but I can't do anything about it. So that's out plan today. It's been cold all weekend so we haven't done much of anything just went out to eat for lunch. I get my valentines day lunch at the melting pot in two weeks then we are going shopping!!! Yay I need/want new clothes and Archer needs summer shirts. So excited for that day to cOme.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby h0ping » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 am

Rachel: How is Eli sleeping now?? I wanted to ask you - has he rolled over yet or is he trying to roll over???? Sometimes babies get frustrated learning a new skill and it can really effect sleep (rolling, crawling, walking, etc.) I think this is in part what was wrong with Kyle he is now rolling around like a crazy boy and just wants to MOVE!!!! LOL he's gonna crawl before I know it - that kid wants to move!!!!

Cara: How sweet about your new nephew!! And Kyle..aww!! It's funny when you hear your kids names else where lol!! (not that my kids names are uncommon its just neat!!!!!) Poor Archer!!! Is he feeling better now?? Poor little guy!!! I remember Ross - he was the baby you thought you might get custody of??? He is one...wow!!! seems like he was just born!!! Sounds fun - lunch and shopping!!! We had a birthday party yesterday also - my niece and nephew - lots of people its crazy we didn't stay long and that was just fine.....I don't even think I really got to say hi to them....I would much rather see/spend time with them without 20+ people there! but oh well - I just babysat them the previous weekend so we got to hang out :D

Well not much to report - Kyle seems to be sleeping better :D and I even got him to nap this weekend!!!!! 8O I couldn't believe how well he did! I was happy just surprised.....otherwise just ready for winter to be over I am starting to go crazy and just want to get outside already! I want to get out walking and just be able to be outside...I am having a hard time excersing at home in the house and at least when it's nice I can put Kyle in the stroller and take him with me.....trying to work out at home I have him and then once he's in bed I have a million and a half other things to do and try to get to bed so I can get up with him at night and then get up at 5am!! I don't really know where I am weight wise but I just don't feel right......and I am having to eat extra to keep milk supply up (still making a little more than what Kyle eats but just don't want it to dip...) and notice if I don't eat like my whole cupboard every day I have a lower output....so I'm just stuck!! And I hate it......ok end.....

Thanks for listening ladies!!!!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby carak21 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Just popping in to say...archer slept through this night!!!! From 730-600!! I was so well rested! Woke up at 430 to check on him and he was still snoozing so I left him alone! He woke up at 600!

And I pumped 28 ounces today!!! 8 last night 8 this morning and 10 at lunch!!! But jeez I hate having to pump. I didn't pump all weekend because I just didn't want to.

Anyway, will update more later. Hope everyone is having a great day!
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bouvgirl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm only on quickly before I go to bed - have to go a bit earlier cos of Eli's early waking...

Cara - yay for Archer sleeping through for the first time - you must feel great!!

Krissy - I'm so glad Kyle's sleep has been a bit better for you too! Eli has started rolling onto his front but I've put things under his sheet to stop him doing it at night because he can't roll back yet and then he wakes up crying. He also managed to crawl forward a few inches the other day - so they sound quite similar - I think he'll be crawling soon! Sorry you're feeling a bit fed up with the whole eating/weight thing. I really miss exercising too, but I can get out for a walk more days than not. I used to do quite a bit of exercise like weights, at-home DVDs, jogging etc. but I just don't seem to have the time now either. The most I get is 40 minutes when Eli is napping and then I always have something else to do. I've also noticed that I'm eating more than I used to which I assume is to do with the BF. I don't believe in diets but I'm looking forward to losing a bit more weight. I don't think I'm that far off my pre-pregnancy weight now but I think I'll have to get some exercise in to get my body back to anywhere near what it used to be. So - don't be too hard on yourself - we're all different (Cara - I'm jealous of you lol!) - how long are you planning on BF for anyway?

Right, off to bed for me. Hope my post made sense! Catch up with you all later
Bouvgirl
Star Member
Star Member

Postby h0ping » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Rachel: I also just don't have the time - when I can get outside to walk it will be much better since I can take Kyle with and hopefully he will like it / be entertained / content....and my little pup loves walks and my older son (Frankie) likes to go to...and I figure I will be able to have Kyle, excersise myself and my dog and spend time with Frankie talking etc which I also feel I have no time for.....I don't (and never really have) "dieted" but I can't really even just "watch" what I eat right now because I am either starved or making myself eat so I don't get a dip in supply......I think I am just feeling stuck right now and it sucks!! I really didn't gain much weight at all while pregnant and wore my usual clothes through pregnancy and still do I just feel yucky....I don't know....just ranting/venting I guess......sorry!! But thanks for listening!!!! I am not sure how long I plan to breastfed - my goals were 3 months then 6 months so now I will probably say I am shooting for 9 months...what about you??? Hope you get some sleep and Eli goes back to his usual schedule soon!!!

Cara: Go Archer!!! WOW!! That's great!!! And great pumping too!!! Wow!!! Glad things are going well - how is Archer eating during the day??? Sounds like a lot got better with him when you switched bottles which is great....

I also get sick of pumping - mainly when I am tired and just want to go to bed / stay in bed but I have made it this long so I am going to keep going.....and I am glad I am able to only have to pump a few times per day to make enough for Kyle - I don't think I could do it if I was still having to pump 6-8xday.......(since I don't ever nurse)

Well ladies my day is almost over (my work day....) I can't wait to see my sweet baby and Frankie of course lol (I feel weird calling him my sweet boy since he is getting older and "MOM....." lol) ready to be home and snuggling my little man.......

Question - this is such a crazy "hot" topic but when your boys wake up at night / early in the morning (not usual wake up time) do you let them cry for a little while or what do you do??? Some people get so worked up about this - I have read some people saying - that if you let them cry your raising their stress level and they will stop crying because they think your not coming, etc. and others say its ok for a few minutes or whatever.....I just want to know what you ladies do (again if its not regular wake up time or for Cara you know Archer is not hungry - I am not talking about if they wake up screaming from hunger or anything.....)

Thanks!!!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby carak21 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Rachel-hope you get some rest tonight, I know how tough it is to wake up early and stay up all day! I hope Eli has some better nights soon!

Krissy-I bet you will be happy when winter is over! I get plenty of exercise outside with my preschoolers. We play all kind of games where I have to run or walk a lot. But I would love to get my tummy flat again! Archer rats pretty good at my moms now. Anywhere from 10-12 ozs in like 6-8 hours. Today was an off day for him though, he only ate 7 ozs from 9-3. I don't think he feels very good today though because he has been fussy while eating. Hope he's over it tomorrow though! To answer your question about crying, I'm not very good at distinguishing cries so if he wakes up at way I think is too early to be hungry like 4-5 hrs after a feed, I give him his paci bit I usually listen for a minute to see if he settles himself. I never let him scream. Now in the beginning I had to for the first few nights to get him to sleep in his crib but now he loves to sleep in his crib. When he's tired I can just put him down and hell go to sleep within a couple minutes. Usually when he wakes up it's more of a fuss than a cry. After the paci is offered if he wakes back up in the next 30 minutes I know he is hungry so I'll feed him. I don't like to not let him eat because I dont want him hungry and I don't want my milk supply to lessen. But usually if I give him his paci he goes right back to sleep, last night he woke up at 130. I gave him his paci and he slept til 6! It was crazy!

Anyway, finally got home from a longggg day. Had to go to Walmart after work for some stuff ended up forgetting to pay for my pictures!! Gonna call them in a minute and see what I need to do. Hoping for another good night!!
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby h0ping » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 am

Cara: I would LOVE to get outside and run around!!! It is currently snowing again :( I am soooo sick of this and so over it......it is been worse in the last month or so then it was in Nov - Dec - Jan!!!!! Glad Archer is doing well with your mom!!! That is really good! Thank you for your response about bedtime/crying. I also don't let Kyle scream but sometimes he will let out a cry then be quiet then do it again or will "wimper"....anyway I am just trying to get some other opinions about this sleeping business but man I didn't realize what a hot topic this is and the things some people say!! Yikes!!!

Well anyway - the weather is nasty and I hate it!!! I would rather be home with my boys doing nothing....but that's not gonna work I guess....

Will write more later!!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby Bouvgirl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi,
Well I was awake from 340am again today :( He just can't get back to sleep and I don't know why - it's not like him. And his naps are still poor - max 40mins during the day and 2 of his naps are down to 30 mins. I figure it must be a developmental leap or something. Hoping it passes very soon! Which brings me on to the subject of letting them cry... Last night he was crying on and off from about 410am until 6am when I got him up. It wasn't a full-out scream or anything - it started with something I can only describe as 'noise' - a kind of groaning he does when he tries to get himself to sleep. When he wasn't able to do that he then started to whimper more and eventually it was little cries on and off. He wasn't screaming until about 550am - and even then it wasn't his full-on 'i'm starving' cry. I guess with the sleep-training I've gotten to know the different cries lol! Despite waking up so early he was smiling after being fed at 6am :D I used to do pick-up put-down to try to settle him but now I'm having problems with my back so I just check on him every so often and st'roke his hair and tell him 'sleepy time'. To be honest he's best left on his own 'cos he tends to cry more when he sees me! Calpol and teething gel did nothing at 4am so I don't think it can be his teeth. Hmmm - fingers crossed tonight isn't as bad but I'm not holding my breath. I wasn't sure what to do last night but I'm determined not to go back to feeding him overnight - it was tempting I'll admit.

Well, interested to hear how your days are going...
Bouvgirl
Star Member
Star Member

Postby h0ping » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Rachel: Sorry Eli (and you!) aren't sleeping!!! It could be something developmental - they say that can affect sleep when they are trying to learn something new.......I also am able to tell Kyle's cries - for sure the "I'm starving" lol thats easy.....Thanks for your reponse on that. When you started "training" Eli what did you do and what did he do - did he cry, you pick him up - did you wait so long or go in when he really started crying or ???? Thanks in advance!!!

I am asking ladies because as you know I am working with Kyle - he is doing better (I have moved back to my own bed!!!!!) And I really didn't have to do this with Frankie (and what I did have to do I don't remember all of it.....) and its hard to ask people because some people act like your a horrible person if you let them cry even 1 minute....but my thought is ok when I am home with him (alone) and have to use the bathroom - sometimes he gets upset if I leave him.....now I obviously know nothing is wrong other than he wants my attention/me to hold him/whatever......and I don't think anyone would say "well just don't go to the bathroom" lol.....

Anyway this whole thing is confusing and I just need some input on what others are doing and if I am doing whats right......

Thanks!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby Bouvgirl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi!
As a rule I always leave him 10 minutes to see if he self-settles when he starts to cry. Just doing that on its own made a HUGE difference. Also if he's doing what they call a mantra cry, which is a half-hearted kind of cry, I leave him longer to get to sleep himself. Otherwise if he's crying and not settling, the pick up put down cry down method involves 10 mins of pupd - which means lifting them up, shushing and patting their back and saying a key phrase eg. 'sleep time'. As soon as they stop crying you lie them down again and then pick them up if they start crying within the 10 minute window. The aim is to calm them but not let them fall asleep on you. It can be back-breaking and tiring - picking up and putting them down many times within 10 minutes. If they start to arch their back apparently that means they're very angry but also very close to sleep and I was advised to lie him down again - I've seen him do that once and he was asleep within a minute of me laying him down - I was shocked 8O I thought he was really angry but actually he was just desperate to get off to sleep! After 10 mins of pupd then you leave the room and let them cry down for 10 mins - then repeat the process over and over until they are asleep. An alternative to pupd is shush-pat while they're still lying in the cot. With alternating 10 minutes of that and cry down.

As far as Eli goes - the first couple of nights it was about an hour and a half of this cycle before he was asleep - and then when he woke later in the night I think it was about 30 mins. This was the first night I went straight from feeding him until he was unconscious (!) to doing this. So I think he did pretty well. He learnt really quickly and within a few days he wasn't even crying when I put him down awake at night. Now he seems to know how to get himself back to sleep - and the recent nights he has been frustrated because he can't do this. I think it's important to remember that they're not crying because you're being cruel - they're crying because they're frustrated and they want to be able to go to sleep!

Phew, that's a long post! Hope I've answered your questions but let me know if you have any others.

The other technique is controlled crying - which I think involves checking on them at regular intervals until they are asleep - not lifting them out of the cot but stroking their hair or patting them and saying a key phrase then leaving the room again. You can also use pick up put down without any cry down if you don't want to let him cry - but you could find yourself having to pick up put down constantly for a couple of hours before he falls asleep - and that can be pretty exhausting physically. I think it's best to take that in turns with DH and it takes a bit longer than if you use some cry down apparently.
Bouvgirl
Star Member
Star Member

Postby carak21 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Rachel-maybe a growth spurt, that's all I can think of. I hope he chills out soon and can get back to sleep! Archer will do the groaning type thing too. He never full out screams and cries. He does have a hunger cry but I don't like to get to that point with him because I can tell when he's hungry before the cry usually.

Krissy-I think you pretty much have to use your mom instincts for this one. What you think is best is what will be best. I didn't have as hard a time letting him cry for the first two days in moving him to his crib because I was often frustrated myself. But if I had to do it now I would give in, plus with me working now I feel guilty for not being with him all the time. Yay for going back to your bed!!! How did you sleep?

Archer slept ok last night. Not another all nighter but 8 hrs. But I was concerned because I only get 3 ounces this morning! It was not cool. My mom brought him to me at lunch sono could feed him just in case something was going on with my supply. Hopefully it was just an off day. Off work now, getting some make up then home to get my baby :)
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Clairebear » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 am

Hey ladies just Checking in
Waiting for charley to get dropped home.
She had a bad night last night, up at 2am with her nose running like a tap! Must have been going down her throat too as she was having some breathing trouble too and vomited a couple of times - just snotty stuff. Took her to the bathroom n steamed the room up for 10 min then went to her room n sat her in the rocker n tried to get her to sleep there, gave up n watched tv with her a while til I realized she was watching the tv too lol
Turned the tv off, wedged a pillow under one end of her mattress n tucked her back into bed with a bottle. I slept on the floor in her room to b sure she was ok and she was asleep again within 10 min of that, mind you by this time it was after 5am!
She looked fine again when I got up this morning n took her to MILs and my lunch time report from mil said 'no snot' so hoping she's ok now.. But mil just txt'd n said she's going past the chemist on the way to bring charley home so I don't kno what that means.. Hope my little cherub is ok tonight..
Miss you ladies. Still read often. Hope to post more regularly soon.

Clairebear
Addicted
Addicted

Postby carak21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:33 pm

My baby has his first cold. So I may not be able to post for a little while. Gotta tend to him and focus on his snotty nose :( be back soon!
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bouvgirl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Hope he feels better soon Cara!

Last couple of nights we've been awake from 5am so not too bad - 515am this morning. 10 more mins then it's 6am and I'm going back in to get him up and feed him :) Hopefully I can pop back later to update

Hi to Claire!
Bouvgirl
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Clairebear » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:28 am

Cara hope archer feels better soon.

Rach Hi glad your starting to get a little more sleep.

Afm bout to feed charley dinner n put her to bed. No sign of her runny nose again since the other night YAY :-)

Clairebear
Addicted
Addicted

PreviousNext

Return to Preg/Mom Circles & Buddy Groups