Addison and Caleb's birth story.....LONG!.....twin spam :)

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Addison and Caleb's birth story.....LONG!.....twin spam :)

Postby macksmom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Well as you know, the twins are here It was unexpected, but things changed rather quickly.

So I got ready for my general check up on Tuesday @ 10am...34w2d

Felt totally fine, nothing different than any other day or any other appointment. My mom went with me because DH had just left the day before to head back for work...in PA...10hrs away We got called back and were joking about the dreaded scale and was surprised that I had actually lost a pound since the week before. I give the nurse my urine sample and we check my blood pressure....162/80...very high for me. She rechecks it to make sure then checks my urine and tells me it was loaded with protein. Doctor came in and did internal exam...2cm dialated, -2 station, and really soft and thinned out...big changes from the week before. He instructed me to go to the hospital to get more tests done.

Just to be safe, we went home first and grabbed our bags...just in case.

Checked into L&D around 1130-12pm and got hooked up to monitors for babies, blood pressure for me, and they had me start 24hr urine and drew labs. Alarm bells kept going off because my BP wasn't going down...getting to 150/100 etc. They got the labs back which were abnormal....so basically all signs pointed towards pre-eclampsia. They high risk doc and my regular docs agreed that we should induce.

Started me on Magnesium to prevent seziures because my BP was so high. Also started Pitocin. They warned me how bad Mag was, but I actually did well with it and didn't have any negative s/e except being tired. Mag relaxes your body and Pitocin tries to contract it, so they counteract each other...so we just had to see how I would progress. I also got hooked up to antibiotics in case I needed a c-section. Labs needed continually drawn which ended up a real problem...the pre-e was making me swell and my viens weren't hydrated...multiple nurses had to try to get veins, lab techs, and even anesthesiologists. Needless to say, I am bruised everywhere! They also had me start an early epidural just to have it in in case of emergency. So actually everything was fine at that point because I never felt the contractions when they started

I progressed slowly...partly because the Mag and Pit counteract each other and partly because my body, at 34w, probably wasn't ready to go into labor. I was glad I wasn't going fast because DH was trying to get back home, and he had a 10hr to get to me. They did an u/s to check position, and they were both still head down...so we planned for a vaginal delivery. I was having regular contractions but just not dialating. DH arrived at 11pm...whew! At 5am I was still only at 3-4cm, so my doc decided to break my water to move things along...and that they did.

After they broke my water, every time they checked me I had dialated more. Around 9am I was 7-8cm and feeling pressure. They adjusted my epidural but about an hour later I was still feeling A LOT of pressure. They said they weren't going to check me because they had just checked me...but I talked them into it and as soon as they checked they said "okay I'm calling the doctor and we're taking you back"...I was complete I had to deliver in the OR in case of an emergency c-section.

They prepped me and had DH back in our room gowning up. My first contraction I pushed and the doc really wasn't watching too well....DH walked in the OR during my 2nd contraction and doc said to push. He turned while I was pushing and said "oh, ok! keep going".....and Caleb was born 2 contractions and 3 pushes was all it took to get him out
He came out crying and they cleaned him up while they waited for Addison.

Problem was, after Caleb was born Addison decided to flip transverse and the doctor couldn't feel her. Her water had not broke yet and she was no where near the birth canal. While he was getting u/s ready to find her DH got to hold Caleb...the nurses were trying to decide weather he even needed to go to NICU because he was doing so well. So while they were deciding, DH just held him and doc tried to find Addison. U/S showed she was transverse and doc tried to get ahold of her and turn her internally, but he couldn't grab her. He didn't want to break her water because then we risked a prolapsed cord. He even was up for grabbing her feet and pulling her out that way. At one point I had a doc on each side trying to turn her from the outside and my doc trying to turn her from the inside......ouch. After MUCH work, doc decided we had no choice but to do a section...the EXACT birth I didn't want! I didn't mind having a section, I just didn't want to deliver one vag and one section...well too late for that.

They decided to take Caleb to NICU just to be safe and started prepping me for the section. Started the section and Addison decided to move even higher in me...up in my ribs. I was thinking a section would be fast...boy was I wrong. Doc had a horrible time getting her out. She was so high and only her arm was presenting....so there was A LOT of tugging and pulling from multiple docs. It got so high it was out of the epidural area so they gave me morphine. FINALLY they got her out, but she was slow to start. Took her a little bit to breath on her own because of the stress of both labors. Finally she got going, they let me kiss her then took her to NICU.

Overall, my doctor said it was one of the hardest delivers he had ever done

I had to stay on the Mag for an additional 24hrs after labor to continue to treat the pre-e. I wasn't able to see the babies, but DH stayed with them as much as he could.

I had tons of issues after labor. Labs showed a huge drop in hemoglobin, so I had lost more blood during labor than they thought and I had to have 2units of blood tranfusion. My oxygen was dropping everytime I fell asleep so I had to start oxygen therapy. The next days exam revealed lots of fluid in my lungs due to congestive heart failure because my body couldn't handle all the fluids I had going on so it was dumping into my lungs. And the pre-e swelling was still making it near impossible for anyone to get blood from me or place additional IV's....It was a mess

I was started to get depressed because I wasn't able to see the babies. DH would go and take pics and come back and show me but it wasn't the same

Caleb was born 5lbs 1oz 19" long and didn't need anything, no oxygen, feeding tubes, IV's...nothing

Addison was born 4lbs 15oz and 18" long, they had her on an IV to try and liven her up a bit.

Caleb was doing so well that the nurses finally brought him to my room for a quick visit so I could hold him But I still wanted both of them at the same time! Finally, yesterday, I got to visit them both and hold them and feed them....it was amazing!!!!

They finally took out all my tubes, caths, IV's etc even though my labs are perfect yet. I just wanted to feel better and be able to visit my babies and with all this stuff dragging me down I wasn't feeling it.

So I was admitted on 4/26, had the twins on 4/27, and today is 4/29....we are all still in the hospital and there hasn't been any talk about any of us going home yet. The ONLY issue the twins are having are being fussy eaters. They the the minimum requirement but not anymore...so they are really watching them on that. But good news is I was able to do an hour of kangaroo care with them today and surprise, surprise, they are eating sooooooo much better now!!! So I'm going to ask the pediatrician in the morning what is thier goal for going home....I'm hoping I can stay as long as they are here....we'll see.

So as of right now all is well I can't believe how long this post is!!!! sorry!!!!
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby macksmom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Here are some pics....my last baby bump taken the right before I left for the doctor appt then the ones from the last few days :)

They are amazing!!!!

leaving for my doctors appt

at the hospital being induced

Caleb

Addison after section

Caleb

Addison

Both of my angels :)
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PregwithTriplets » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Congrats your twins are beautiful, God bless... I'm so glad you are feeling better and your twins are doing amazing... Cant wait to see more pics...
Me-28
Dh-28
TTC#1- 3 years
Pregnant with Triplets!!
2 Boys and a Girl

PregwithTriplets

Postby jlcpowers » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 am

Sorry your labor was so crazy, but I am so glad that you lil babes are here! They are absolutely gorgeous.
Me ~ 25 & DH ~ 28 + our twins Isaiah & Lorelei
jlcpowers
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:10 am

They are beautiful!!! Congratulations!!!
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shrimpsey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:20 am

Congradulations!! Your babies are beautiful!! Sorry to hear about the rough L&D, yikes!! Glad everyone is safe and you are recovering. I totally understand how you feel about not seeing the babies right away. I did get a quick look after I had my girls, but then I was my room for what seemed like forever until someone took me down. I hope you all get to come home together, but if not, it will be the hardest day when you are discharged, however, you baked them good, and they are doing so well and at great weights, they will be home in no time!! I bet a week max and you all will be home! I hope your recovery goes a little smoother, and speedy. Congrats again, keep that great spam coming!!
Michelle 31 ~ Jim 38 ~ 2 angels 05/07 & 10/07
Believe| Breast is Best | Nutritional Cleansing
Our TAPS twins arrived at 31W2D~ Meghan 3lbs 1oz ~ Molly 2lbs 14oz
shrimpsey
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Dani26 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:48 am

Congrats!! They are beautiful!!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Me-26-DH-26
1Angel Baby-Earned her wings 3-14-04 @19wks gest.
Dani26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Robynsegg2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Congratulations!! I'm so sorry that the birth was less than ideal, but in the long run, you and BOTH babies are doing well and that is the main thing! You did an amazing job and you can't say you didn't try everything first! Awesome job!

They are just beautiful! Take it easy and get lots of rest!
Me - Robyn 31, DW - Melissa 32

Robynsegg2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Egray » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Awwww. Your story reminded me so much of my own that I cried! So glad everyone is safe and sound and the whole thing is over with for you! Now the fun begins!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:10 pm

They are beautiful!!!!!!!!

Sorry the delivery was not the best, but so glad everyone is doing ok.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:02 pm

How scary! So glad you are all doing well. They are gorgeous and can't believe all the hair!!!! Hope you all get to go home soon and can't wait to see all of your baby spam :) CONGRATS!!!!

What were their birth times?
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carolmccarthy » Sun May 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Glad everything turned out ok. Your babies are so beautiful!!
carolmccarthy
Angel
Angel

Postby macksmom » Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks ladies!!!!

The twins are 35 weeks today and doing great!
Addison and I got discharged and are home today :) Unfortunately Caleb hasn't been eating enough consistently so they want him to stay a few more days to allow him to catch on better before he comes home. Luckily the hospital offers a "parent care room" to parents that have babies in NICU...free of charge! So daddy is staying at the hospital with Caleb while Addison and I get settled in at home.

Pumping is going okay....just getting colostrum so far but I'm hanging in there because it's obvious that the twins prefer my breastmilk to the formula they are being supplemented with. Caleb will chug the colostrum right down but then when we switch to formula for the rest of the feeding he isn't interested. So hopefully I can work better on pumping and trying to breastfeed Addison at home and my milk will come in so Caleb can come home. The docs are only thinking a few more days anyways, but it's no fun to leave one of your babies behind :( At least daddy can be there with him.

I think overall I (and the twins) were very lucky. My issues are resolving and I think it's amazing that Addison was able to come home at 35weeks :)

@ Greek - Caleb was born at 10:01am and Addison was born at 10:27am
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sun May 01, 2011 11:44 pm

So glad you are home with Addison and sorry Caleb couldn't come too. I am sure he'll be home in no time. :) It definitely sucks having a babe in the NICU while you're home... Keep at the pumping and BFing! You're doing a great and twins can be tough to keep up with in the beginning but you can do it! CONGRATS!!!! (can't wait to see more pics)

PS - I was just curious how far apart they were born with all that Addison put you through, LOL!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Mon May 02, 2011 8:51 am

Wow, impressed you two could go home so fast. I am sure Caleb will be right behind you guys.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More