Twin Questions

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Twin Questions

Postby ishouldhavebeenadoctor » Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Ladies!

I'm 13.5 wks pregnant with twins and I was hoping you all could help with a few questions! I'm 34 yo and have a 22 mo ds.

I saw my regular OB for the first time yesterday. She said that I can opt for c-section since it is twins or I can see if the lower twin is head down and try for a vaginal birth. I had #1 vag, but wondering if life may be a bit easier if I have a scheduled c-section.

Also, I was wondering if you were put on bed rest or reduced work schedules. I worked up until the day I went into labor with #1. My OB said about 50% of her twin moms end up on bed rest. Just wondering if you experienced it.

My last question is when did you/how did you find out if your twins were fraternal or identical. My ob did another u/s yesterday and said they are really close together - one right on top of the other. I had fertility treatments and multiple follies, so I assumed they were fraternal but she said there was a chance they are identical. Just wondering when you found out.

Thanks for all of your insight. I've been stalking the boards quietly for a few weeks now and have gotten a lot of great information already!
ishouldhavebeenadoctor

Postby Egray » Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 am

Me personally if I had the option for a vaginal I would have taken it. Having a section increases your risks of hemorraghing (sp?) which I did, and not to mention having twins in itself increases your risks. And recovering from a section sucks. If you dont' need to and both babies are head down I would go for it.

I ended up with high blood pressure and was put on modified bed rest at 34 weeks. I stopped working then too at the office and started working from home. I had the girls at 37w due to Pre E.

There is always a chance your twins (if same sex) are identical even being in seperate sacs so it was always said "most likely frat twins" but there is always a chance they aren't. I knew as soon as I looked at them they were fraternal. They loooked 100% different. You just don't know until you A. Find out their sex's (boy girl obviously fraternal) or B. They are born!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby macksmom » Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm

I was set on having a vag birth....didn't see why I would want to "choose" to be cut open and like PP mentioned, the recovery is harder. Buy many twin moms choose c-section...it's really up to your wishes, and more so how the babies end up presenting. If Baby A is breech then obviously you won't be able to attempt a vag birth. Some docs with only let a twin mom attempt vag birth if BOTH twins are head down, and some will attempt to deliver vag is Baby A is head down and will try to turn Baby B after Baby A is born. If you choose to have a vag birth, you really won't know if that will really happen until you're in labor. Doc will do an u/s to see how they are presenting when you get to the hospital and go from there.

Also, if you choose a vag birth, stay realistic about it....because it might not happen. Take a look at my birth story of my twins (just happened 9days ago) "Addison's and Caleb's birth story". You will see that even though BOTH twins were vertex (head down) when I was in labor I was only able to deliver Caleb (baby A) vaginally because then Addison flipped transverse and doc couldn't turn her. He tried to turn her internally while 2 docs assisted and tried to turn her externally. It didn't work and I ended up having to have a c-section with her. Also, just like PP said, because a twins mom uterus is soooooo stretched, there is a higher chance of hemorrhaging...which also happened to me. I am actually still in the hospital because of complications. Now I am NOT saying this to scare you because obviously it doesn't happen to everyone! There are MANY twins moms that delivered c-section and had ZERO issues...just wanted to tell you what I experienced.

I was never put on bedrest, but you'll find towards the end you may WANT to take it easy because you get pretty uncomfortable.
I delivered my twins at 34w2d due to pre-eclampsia.....I was totally fine at one doc appt and the following week my BP was through the roof and protein in urine, even though I felt fine. Was sent to hospital and my BP didn't go down and my labs were abnormal so I was induced.

I did fertility treatments as well...had multiple follies etc, so we were pretty sure they were faternal and at 7-8weeks my fertility doc said the same thing....we found out for sure when we found out we were having B/G twins, because obviously different genders are not identical (but you have no idea how many times even though I said they were B/G I was asked were they identical haha).....so you really won't know for sure until they are born...by blood type and/or DNA.

This is a great place to ask questions and get answers from moms that have been through it :)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Robynsegg2 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Congratulations on your twins!!!!

I knew right off the bat that my guys were fraternal because each baby was on either side of the uterus. We recognized this at 6 weeks via internal u/s.

I was hell bent over having a vag delivery but ended up with a c/s after 21 hours of labour. We didn't even talk c/s actually.

I worked until I was 30 weeks and I asked to leave because I didn't have day care for my eldest son (16 months when the twins were born) so she took me off work but for no medical reasons.

ENJOY your pregnancy and ask away!
Me - Robyn 31, DW - Melissa 32

Robynsegg2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bethann » Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 pm

I had a great vaginal birth with some interventions b/c my Stella was breech but I wouldn't have had it any other way!! Being a nurse I see ALL the complications to a csection and yucky things that can happen!! That being said alot of moms on here have had csections and are just as happy with their decision as I was with mine!

I was put on modified bedrest at 28 weeks b/c my cervix was shortening and I was having some contractions. I made it to 37 weeks and probably would have lasted a little longer! But there are some that work and are fine all the way up to their full term delivery!

Our twins were IVF and were fraternal and you could tell from the beginning b/c they were far apart and seperate but I think sometimes it is hard to tell, especially if one is on top of the other!!

Congratulations!
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
bethann
Angel
Angel

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sat May 07, 2011 4:14 am

Congrats and Welcome!

You will be able to tell if they are: identical if they share a sac and fraternal if you find out your expecting B/G twins. Other than that, there's no way to tell until birth, possibly a little later. You can have identicals in separate sacs, even opposite side of your uterus - depends on when they split. There is a mommy on here who just found out her girls are identical, I think they were about 2-3 months old when she sent a test in. So it really varies. I found out mine were fraternal when we found out their genders ;)

I think a few multiples mommies had scheduled c-sections and the rest of us just winged it trying for a vaginal. My doc told me from the very beginning I could try for a VBAC as long as I was 18 months post previous c-section and both babes were head down. It came down to the wire but I was 19 months post c-section and both head down when I went into labor. Unfortunately I wasn't dilating and I was a little early so they sectioned me.

As far as bedrest, you never know. It's a higher chance with multiples but that doesn't mean you will need it for sure. I never had to go on bedrest with the twins (well 4 days when I went into labor, then they delivered me). I worked up to the night I went into labor. Now I did have to go on bedrest with my singleton for several weeks, so you just never know. Prepare like you might and act like you won't ;)

Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ishouldhavebeenadoctor » Mon May 09, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks for all of your insight! I don't know anyone IRL that has twins so it's hard to figure what it will be like! When I was pregnant with #1, I had a really easy time, felt great the entire pregnancy, etc. I'm only 14 wks with twins and I'm already uncomfortable!! Geesh!

Thanks again, ladies! I'm sure I'll be asking many questions over the next few months! I'm glad there are so many twin mommies to get insight from on here!!
ishouldhavebeenadoctor

Postby GreekMythFreak » Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 am

I found out at 9 weeks it was twins and I remember feeling SO relieved because my pants already hadn’t been fitting and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me and why I was showing so soon, LOL!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More