Questions for moms of multiples.

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Questions for moms of multiples.

Postby jen78 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 am

Hey everyone you may have noticed already that I am pretty anal right now about carrying twins. I can't seem to stop worrying about everything. Are my babies ok? Am I going to be able to handle carrying them? I am 4' 9 1/2 " tall and weigh around 118 which is a little overweight for my height and bone size. I am medium sized bones. Do you think I will be ok? Can my body handle this? Is there anyone else who is as small as me who carried multiples and did ok? Is my BP going to be really bad at the end? I have had high blood pressure in the past. Am I going to get gestational diabetes? I already have a sugar issue called reactive hypoglycemia and am already on metformin. Is the ligament pain going to kill me at the end? I carried my youngest daughter who was 8 lb 3oz and I had a ton of extra water and it was quite painful at the end. Is it possible to have braxton hicks contractions this early? I have already been having some pains that are accompanied by a hot flash which feels like the BH contractions I had with previous pregnancies. I know all of these questions depends on everything else but I just need some insight of what to expect. Sorry I am so anal ladies , I appreciate any help and advice you can give me. Thanks
Me Jennifer 32 PCOS DH 35 DD 14DD 6 DD 3
Clomid Cycle #5 BFP!Beta 11 DPO 45.86
Beta 13 DPO 166 Doubling Time 25.49
one twin died at 9 wk 4 days one healthy bean
Jacob Born 12/6/11 8lbs. 1oz. 20inch.
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1108a5
[img]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
jen78
Angel
Angel

Postby Egray » Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 am

I wish I could give you some insight but I am tall and carried my girls without issue. I'm sure being shorter makes it harder to carry a baby period but I think some of the girls on here are tiny and carried theirs just fine!

As far as your BP I would say if you had an issue with it before you probably will again, thankfully there are meds that are safe while pregnant and if you already have sugar issues then I would say it would make you more prone to them while pregnant as well. Then again I"m no doctor!

Just wanted to wish you luck! Its not going to be an easy pregnancy but its worth it!
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 am

I am only about 5'4", and I generally seem to carry babies out front. I carried my son that way, and everyone asked if I was having twins. Now I am huge at 29 weeks. It is uncomfortable, but doable. I have started having to wear a maternity belt to help with the support. I get pretty bad lower abdomen pains if I don't wear it. I am still working full time though, and am able to do it if I am careful and don't push myself too hard.

I also had BP problems in the past, but had low/normal blood pressure while pg with my son. So far I have low/normal bp this time as well.

I had GD last pregnancy, and am waiting today for my doc to call me back to see if I passed or failed the 1 hour test on Friday. That is manageable too. I managed it with diet last time.

Twin pregnancy is hard and uncomfortable, and it is easy to worry about everything. It is just impossible to predict what surprises will pop up for you, and what will go just fine. Just ride it out, and keep asking questions of us and your docs.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashrash » Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 pm

You might have them a bit earlier than 38 weeks, but I'm sure you will do very well! The docs will keep a close eye on you! Not going to lie... the end is rough... BUT... you will and CAN do it!!! You are going to amaze yourself with your inner strength! It's quite a road having twins, but once they are here, you will quickly forget about all the pain and struggles! It's been 7 months, and my pregnancy is becoming a blur. In fact, we're thinking about trying for #4 in a few more months... despite the fact that I said I would NEVER, EVER in a million years do that EVER again! :lol: Hang in there, mama! You are going to ROCK the pregnancy!!! :D
Ashley-28, DH-33
DD1-Dylan Grace born 12.15.2008
DD2-Ryan Elizabeth born 10.14.2010
DD3-Payton Faith born 10.14.2010

ImageImage
ashrash
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Questions for moms of multiples.

Postby GreekMythFreak » Tue May 17, 2011 12:40 am

I will try and answer each of your questions as best I can, and I Will be honest:

jen78 wrote: Are my babies ok?

I know you were just throwing this one out there, however try to always believe your babies are ok. I know it’s hard and nerve wracking but just remember when YOU stress it stresses the babies too.

jen78 wrote: Am I going to be able to handle carrying them? I am 4' 9 1/2 " tall and weigh around 118 which is a little overweight for my height and bone size. I am medium sized bones. Do you think I will be ok? Can my body handle this? Is there anyone else who is as small as me who carried multiples and did ok?

I am 5’1” and I carried my twins until 34 weeks without going into labor, at which time they were large and my body just couldn’t hold them in any longer. I was HUGE (you can see my pics in the belly thread). I like to think I did a very good job. I knew I would go early, I did with my 8lb son as well. I just hoped I would make it to 32 weeks and I did! I actually didn’t deliver them until 35 weeks and 1 day. You just have to take EACH day at a time, don’t worry about when you will deliver them, celebrate each day you made it still pregnant. My first goal was to make it to 13 weeks; then 24; then 32. Make small goals and don’t worry about things that haven’t happened. Many of the mommas on here made it to 38+ weeks. You can too! Chances are high that you will deliver at 36 weeks or less, but you could go until later. You never know. Prepare for the early delivery but act like you’re going all the way.

jen78 wrote: Is my BP going to be really bad at the end? I have had high blood pressure in the past.

It’s possible, but not definitely. Make sure to rest an keep and eye on it. I had super LOW BP and had dizzy spells constantly and even blacked out twice. You just never know.

jen78 wrote: Am I going to get gestational diabetes? I already have a sugar issue called reactive hypoglycemia and am already on metformin.

I am hyperglycemic and I never had GD. That doesn’t mean you won’t, but you’re not sure to have it.

jen78 wrote: Is the ligament pain going to kill me at the end?

I can’t lie, the end is definitely painful, but again some multiples mom’s never had any complaints at the end. Just depends on how big those babies are and where they are positioned. If anything you will probably suffer more from the pelvic and/or rib pain more than the ligament pain.

jen78 wrote: I carried my youngest daughter who was 8 lb 3oz and I had a ton of extra water and it was quite painful at the end.

My DS1 was 8lbs 1oz, I feel for ya. At the end the twins were each 5lbs 12oz, so I have over 11lbs of baby. I had really bad water retention with both pregnancies, my feet were sometimes unbearably swollen. With the twins I got regular foot massages at the end to help with the swelling. It REALLY made a difference. I gained about 15-20lbs in water weight the week before I delivered. I lost it immediately after.

jen78 wrote: Is it possible to have braxton hicks contractions this early? I have already been having some pains that are accompanied by a hot flash which feels like the BH contractions I had with previous pregnancies.

I don’t know if it’s possible, you should call your doc. Just make sure to drink TONS of water. When you think you’ve had a lot, drink about 20ozs more! I carried water with me EVERYwhere!

Hope that helps. Keep the questions coming, we don’t mind. Just try not to stress and worry over things that haven’t happen, cuz chances are they may never happen.
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 am

ashrash wrote: In fact, we're thinking about trying for #4 in a few more months... despite the fact that I said I would NEVER, EVER in a million years do that EVER again!

Look at you thinking about #4 after everything! LOL! I knew he'd talk you into it! That man needs another boy in the house ;) :lol:
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shrimpsey » Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 am

GreekMythFreak wrote:
ashrash wrote: In fact, we're thinking about trying for #4 in a few more months... despite the fact that I said I would NEVER, EVER in a million years do that EVER again!

Look at you thinking about #4 after everything! LOL! I knew he'd talk you into it! That man needs another boy in the house ;) :lol:

+1, hahaha Ash, you were so set against no more! I think its awesome you are going to TTC again.

To the OP, I think everyone covered everything. Just breathe!! It will all work out, and all fall into place. All you can do is take the best care of yourself as you can, and the rest is up to the big guy upstairs. There is an old saying that"God wouldn't bring you this far just to drop you on your ass" :D
Michelle 31 ~ Jim 38 ~ 2 angels 05/07 & 10/07
Believe| Breast is Best | Nutritional Cleansing
Our TAPS twins arrived at 31W2D~ Meghan 3lbs 1oz ~ Molly 2lbs 14oz
shrimpsey
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JADE0199 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 am

I am 4' 9 1/2 " tall and weigh around 118 which is a little overweight for my height and bone size. I am medium sized bones. Do you think I will be ok? Can my body handle this? Is there anyone else who is as small as me who carried multiples and did ok? Is my BP going to be really bad at the end? I have had high blood pressure in the past. Am I going to get gestational diabetes? I already have a sugar issue called reactive hypoglycemia and am already on metformin. Is the ligament pain going to kill me at the end? I carried my youngest daughter who was 8 lb 3oz and I had a ton of extra water and it was quite painful at the end. Is it possible to have braxton hicks contractions this early? I have already been having some pains that are accompanied by a hot flash which feels like the BH contractions I had with previous pregnancies.

Hi! Congrats on your twin pregnancy!!

Well, to try to answer some of your questions and concerns, I am also short in stature, I am 5' (more like 4'11" :wink: ) and was pregnant with identical twin boys in 2008. I am not going to sugar coat it, it was difficult but there are alot of women on here that have carried twins without any issues, whether they were short, medium or tall. everyone is different and unfortunately you just don't know how your body will respond. But drs will take into account how previous pregnancies progressed and will monitor you closely in those areas.

For me, the swelling started around 20-22 weeks. I stopped working at around 22 weeks but not because of the swelling. It started in my feet and legs. I elevated them as much and as often as I could which helped until about 28-30 weeks when the swelling was always there. Compression stockings will help this alot, with circulation and comfort. I would say the swelling was the worst between 30-36 weeks, when my twins were born. My only complication I had that was in regard to the swelling was that I somehow got cellulitis in my legs which was extremely painful and had to go on antibiotics. I could not stand or barely sit without being in excruitiating pain so I spent most of the 6 weeks on the couch or bed. I had to lay down in the car on my way to the drs apointments bc it hurt too much to put my legs down. I also had to be wheelchaired the rest of the way to the drs. It was not a very glamourous pregnancy for me. :wink:

My blood pressure was high, but not overly high and was able to lower it when I mediated and took deep breaths at the drs office. I also failed both my 1 hour and 3 hour GD test but was able to control my sugar levels with diet alone. :) The round ligament pain for me wasn't too terrible from what I remember. And I never got any BH or contractions. I felt a small leak several days before my OB appointment and when they tested it came back + for amnio. Since they were 36 weeks and didn't know how long I was leaking, the OB decided it was time. I chose to have an elected c/section.

After all that I swore I would never do that again, but in time you forget...and felt that I would do it all over again if I had too. But in hindsight I'm glad I didn't have too. After getting pregnant again in 2010 and risking getting pg with twins again, I got pregnant with a singleton and having to keep up with 1.5 yo - 2 yr old toddlers, boy was I glad I wasn't pregnant with twins again!

I wish you tons of luck and

HH9!
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend