Breastfeeding Questions

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Breastfeeding Questions

Postby katieq » Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 am

For those of you who did breastfeed I have a few questions. Am getting a bit nervous about it as it gets closer but am committed to it. My DS was so hungry all the time and feel like two could be a full time job.

In the hospital, did they make you supplement with some formula? Did you feed both babies at once? Did you breastfeed as long as you did with a single child if the twins were your second or third? Are you hungry all the time to keep up the milk supply? (That is the part I look forward to since food feels like a chore right now!) Any other advice and or tips? Thanks so much!
katieq
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Egray » Thu May 19, 2011 7:38 am

My milk didn't come in for 6 days so the girls got bottles of formula until then. Once my milk came in I gave them about 1/2 and 1/2. They never

I tried for a week with a LC to get the girls to latch but they never would, so I pumped and yes I was starving and SO thirsy all the time!

I have no advice as I failed at the BF part and just pumped around the clock for them. My advice would be get them to latch ASAP so you dont have issues like we did!

I felt so crappy for days after my section that I didn't even see them for the first day (I hemmoraghed) and didn't get to even try to BF them for days......that was a huge mistake on my part.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Breastfeeding Questions

Postby GreekMythFreak » Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 am

They did make me supplement at one point in the NICU because Willow wasn't gaining enough weight. She was on a NG tube but they made me do it anyway.

I didn't feed both babies at the same time until they were really good at latching as it's too difficult to assist two at the same time. I started BFing them at the same time around 2 months and it was SO much nicer (Didn't take forever) and I bought a special twin's BFing pillow (made ALL the difference).

I actually BFed the twins longer than my singleton and would have gone longer but I had to stop for medical reasons.

I was hungry all the time, but mostly THIRSTY non-stop! Could never get enough to drink. I would even drink while BFing, LOL!

I didn't have a problem keeping up for the 1st 2 months but then it became a game of "keep-up". Just make sure to drinks LOTS and don't ever feel bad if you have to supplement, we had to from time to time and it made switching to formula no big deal :)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Thu May 19, 2011 2:24 pm

You should PM Shrimspey. She EBF'd her twin girls.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sharerc » Sat May 21, 2011 6:17 am

I ended up pumping for my girls. But in the beginning in the hospital, I was just BFing them. I did not have to supplement them at all. I actually refused to at one point because the LC was an idiot. They both lost weight but no more than the average baby loses weight. I had problems getting one of the girls to latch and the other was not gaining as much as they wanted her to gain. So I was having to nurse and pump and I just decided to start pumping so I didn't have to fight the latch problem and could monitor how much they were getting.

I drank a lot of water and ate a lot. But I don't think I needed to eat that much. :wink: I guess I just wanted to.

I actually provided all BM for the twins longer than I nursed my singleton. I had a fantastic supply and probably could have nursed triplets without a problem. I pumped for 10 months and the girls went 14 months on my fresh supply and frozen supply. I only nursed by first DD 11 months and quit because I was going out of town.

Good luck! It is overwhelming but just take it a day at a time!
Carrie and DH, Bryan
DD1 Raegan
DD2/3 Samantha and Mallory
The Sharer Family Blog

ImageImage

ImageImage
sharerc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby macksmom » Sat May 21, 2011 1:14 pm

I breastfed for about 2weeks before I had to quit because I was just too sick...I had a lot of complication after birth and had to keep pumping and dumping my milk and have been in and out of the hospital, so unfortunately it didn't work out for me...but I was able to do it for about 2 weeks so they got all the really good stuff (colostrum).

My milk didn't come in for 5-6days....so they were given a special preemie formula. Any colostrum I was able to get, even drops, were given to them in the NICU. When my milk did come in they still couldn't latch well, so we just fed the breastmilk through bottles, but it still had to be supplemented with a special formula to increase the calories...because formula has more calories than breastmilk.

When we were trying to get them to latch on in the hospital, the lactation consultant said it was better to work with one at a time until they both got good at latching on. So I never attempted to feed both at the same time. I would work with one then the other.

Like I said, I wasn't able to continue breastfeeding....but I always stayed realistic about it, so I wasn't overly upset when I had to give it up....but I hope that helps a little bit.
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Breastfeeding Questions

Postby shrimpsey » Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 pm

katieq wrote:For those of you who did breastfeed I have a few questions. Am getting a bit nervous about it as it gets closer but am committed to it. My DS was so hungry all the time and feel like two could be a full time job.

In the hospital, did they make you supplement with some formula? Did you feed both babies at once? Did you breastfeed as long as you did with a single child if the twins were your second or third? Are you hungry all the time to keep up the milk supply? (That is the part I look forward to since food feels like a chore right now!) Any other advice and or tips? Thanks so much!

Hi Katie,

I would have responded sooner, but I don't come around as often anymore, lol. So I had a lot of the same fears you are expressing before I had my girls, and I am happy to report that we are still EBFing and I have never supplemented even a drop, EVEN during their NICU days. They have had 100% mommas milk! It CAN be done, lol.

So, our start was a little bit differant because they were preemies, but I got on that pump about 3 hours after they were born, and pumped every 2-3 hours around the clock for the first 2 weeks. That was exausting, however it is critical that beginning stage because it sets the stage for your long term breastfeeding supply. SO hopefully you will not have preemies, and just nurse them as often, and I would pump for about 10 minutes after if you can for that first week just to get that supply boosted, and also you can get a little freezer stash going. My milk came in day 3, and I would just keep bringing all my pumped milk to the NICU and they fed the babies. Once they got old enough and I could start nursing them, I would do one at a time(as preemies) but when they were around 36-38 weeks gestational age, I would tadum nurse them. This is the best way to save time, and keep them on the same schedule. Get a easy to nurse twins pillow, the twin pillows are a little firmer and wider then the regular breastfeeding pillow, and get them both on. Major time savor, and awesome to boot. If i were you and went full term though, while in the hospital I would nurse one at a time until they got their latch down because it can be a little tricky getting them both latched when they are really tiny. One would get latched, and then you would try and get the other one on and the first one would loose the latch, lol, but it is all a learning experience those first days anyways. Once you get the hang of it, it workds great.

As they got older, I would sometimes tandum nurse, sometimes nurse them seperately, and now I almost always nurse them seperately. We feed on demand, and I have 2 older kids, still able to juggle it all. It is not as overwhelming as I thought it would be when I was pregnant with them.

Hunger and thirst, well, super thirsty. Drink lots and lots of water. This is critical. Always have a jug of water on the go, especially at the start. YOu are producing so much more fluids so you need to replace them, so yes, drink lots. I don't notice a huge differance in my hunger. No differant then when I just nursed one baby.

Good luck momma, you can do it!!! We are still going strong 9 months later, and I plan on letting the girls self wean, hopefully around when Abrielle stopped, I nursed her until 20 months, and it was wonderful.

Any other questions, ask away!
Michelle 31 ~ Jim 38 ~ 2 angels 05/07 & 10/07
Believe| Breast is Best | Nutritional Cleansing
Our TAPS twins arrived at 31W2D~ Meghan 3lbs 1oz ~ Molly 2lbs 14oz
shrimpsey
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby katieq » Mon May 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks so much everyone....this helps so much!! Never even thought that it is easier to do one at a time at first to get the latch down before attempting two. That actually feels more manageable. Feel inspired that so many of you had success but also know that it may not go exactly as I'd like it to. I do remember the thirst from DS. Just when I thought I could have a glass of wine here and there again I was was too thirsty to drink anything dehydrating. I can only imagine what it is like when producing milk for two. Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses. Am getting so excited cause I loved the bonding I felt when breastfeeding DS.
katieq
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby MominMD » Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 am

I am reading along on this thread too. I too am hoping to BF the twins. DS had some latch issues in the beginning, I think mostly due to a flat nipple on one side. He then successfully BF'd for a year. I am hoping I can manage with twins. I am nervous and excited to start again.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More