Chicken Pox!

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Chicken Pox!

Postby buggie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 am

I had shingles a little over a week ago and last night Beckett had a little spot on his thigh. This morning, that spot was bigger, then there were 5 on his belly and a few on his face. I think we've got chicken pox. I'm sure there is no way Emmett will avoid it as they share spoons, bottles, toys and air.

Anyone had a preemie or an under 1 year old get chicken pox? They are going to the pedi this afternoon, and the nurse didn't sound concerned even knowing they are former 29 weekers. I'm super nervous, they've never even had a cold.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Chicken Pox!

Postby babydust2me » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh no! I don't have any experience with preemies/under 1 year olds having chicken pox. Please KUP on what happens! I hope they deal with it OK.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ritzy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

I get recurring bouts of shingles, they suck really really bad! I actually had them when I delivered the twins! My DD had a mild case of chicken pox before she was a year and could get the vaccine. She wasn't a premie but her pediatrician wasn't concerned at all. I figure we all had them. They didn't have the vaccine when I was little, heck, we had chicken pox parties so that all the kids would get them and get them over with. Keep us posted on how they are, poor guys...and take care of yourself! I know from experience how icky you feel when you have shingles...
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sisrea » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 pm

I would assume that since they are so young getting it that they might be relatively mild,. But i know the fact that they were premies is a little worrysome! KUP!
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:28 pm

The pedi seems completely unconcerned. She said that since they are nearly a year, the fact that they were preemies shouldn't really affect things. Basically we just treat the symptoms, fever, itchiness, etc. So far, he has no symptoms other than spots. No itching, no fussier than usual, quite hungry.

And the nurse we saw said the country she's from (she sounded British maybe?) doesn't even vaccinate and there's no big deal. So she wasn't concerned either.

As for me, thankfully as soon as I started the antivirals my shingles started getting better. I'm 99% better now, thank god, because it was awful for a few days (during a hurricane, derp).
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mritnire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Rhys got chicken pox the day after visiting the girls in the NICU (back in March/April) they ended up giving the babies in the room and them the non active vaccine but they were not too concerned because if the mom had chicken pox before and breastfed at all (or if the baby was under 6 months) they carried over the natural immunity. During that whole time I was told that kids under one usually have very mild cases of chicken pox. I hope the kids don't get too sick
Me(Erin): 29 DH: 30 DS:5
Blog: http://hitachiin1.blogspot.ca/

TTC#2 from Sep 2009

BFP July 24, 2011
EDD April 2, 2012
Gwen & Avery Born at 25 weeks 2 days - Dec 21, 2011

mritnire
Angel
Angel

Postby GreekMythFreak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I know it's better to get it as a child than as an adult. It's mostly just uncomfortable as a child :)

So sorry you had shingles tho, how painful...
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby skmommy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:43 pm

HOw is it going? I've had shingles and they were no fun. Poor baby and mama!
Me-31, DH-31
Damaged Tubes-Burst Appendix
MTHFR-Copy one
IVF #1-Twin Boys, Carried 39 weeks
Lost one of my miracles due to blood clot in his kinked cord

FET 1-m/c at 7.5 wks
FET 2-BFN
FET 3-All remaining frosties (3) one took and split, expecting identical twins Due date 11/7
Lovenox & Folguard

Identical Twin girls born 10/15 (at 36 weeks 5 days)!
skmommy
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby buggie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:58 pm

My shingles are gone, no more pain. Just some scabs to heal up still.

Beckett is COVERED in spots. He's pretty sleepy and uncomfortable. Wants to spend all day in my arms, which is fine with me. Emmett is getting more and more spots but still seeming to feel fine. It took Beckett a few days of being covered in spots before he started feeling crappy, so I assume it's coming soon for Emmett. Not looking forward to two of them wanting to be held all day! I hope it holds off til the weekend, or better yet Tuesday when we'll be at their grandparents' house!

I think the suckiest part is that this week they both have chicken pox AND Beckett has 3 new teeth coming in and Emmett has 4 new teeth coming in.

Thankfully the preemie thing doesn't seem to be affecting anything. They are perfectly healthy other than being covered in itchy spots!

Here's my Spot:

Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 am

It's no fun when both babies are sick and/or fussy. Hopefully Emmett holds off until you've got extra hands available to hold him.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanhall » Thu May 14, 2015 7:07 am

buggie wrote:My shingles are gone, no more pain. Just some scabs to heal up still.

Beckett is COVERED in spots. He's pretty sleepy and uncomfortable. Wants to spend all day in my arms, which is fine with me. Emmett is getting more and more spots but still seeming to feel fine. It took Beckett a few days of being covered in spots before he started feeling crappy, so I assume it's coming soon for Emmett. Not looking forward to two of them wanting to be held all day! I hope it holds off til the weekend, or better yet Tuesday when we'll be at their grandparents' house!

I think the suckiest part is that this week they both have chicken pox AND Beckett has 3 new teeth coming in and Emmett has 4 new teeth coming in.

Thankfully the preemie thing doesn't seem to be affecting anything. They are perfectly healthy other than being covered in itchy spots!

Here's my Spot:

I really feel pity a child having chicken pox, I remembered before my daughter had chickenpox but I'm thankful that time because of the natural remedies and treatments..
My friend told me later he got the chicken pox . I told him I caught politics and never got over it.
stefanhall

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More