Carseats

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Carseats

Postby babydust2me » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 pm

I probably have a good 6 more months or longer in my infant seats but I'm thinking ahead to what sort of carseats we'll move up to. I'm thinking the convertible seats are probably the best way to go but I'm pretty lost on which ones to get. I have a few questions for those of you who have BTDT.

Also, I drive a Ford Edge and right now I have 2 Graco SnugRide 35 seats. A 3rd carseat will not fit (we tried with my 3 year old neice's a couple months back). I have no intention of having any more children, but we all know surprises happen. So I'd like to maybe get slimmer seats so an infant seat could also fit in my backseat because I'd much rather buy slim carseats and not need them than have to buy a new vehicle.

What type of vehicle do you drive and what seats do you have? Also, how do you handle switching vehicles? Did you buy 4 carseats or is switching not that big of a deal? I'm concerned because while most of the time I drop the girls off at the sitter in the morning and pick them up in the afternoons, during tax season I drop off and DH picks up. If it's a pain to get the carseats in and out, I'm thinking it'll be worth it to buy the extra seats. What have you all done?
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Carseats

Postby buggie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 pm

My answer isn't going to be much help, except in the what not to do area. We have two Britax Advocate 70-G3s and they are HUGE. We have a Honda CRV and I'm the only person that can sit between the two seats bc I'm really skinny. My average size husband could never fit there, so a third car seat never would either. And we only have one car (yay for train to work!) so I can't help on that front.

Upside, it's a freaking awesome car seat. It looks so comfy I'm jealous that they got to spend our 12 hour drive to Christmas in those and I just had a stupid boring regular seat. Very plush with real side impact protection (so they say).
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm

I had a Honda Civic with DS1 and LOVED his Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat. We bought two for him so we could have 1 in each car (DH and Mine) which was affordable and easier at the time. We loved that seat so much that we bought another one and all 3 kids ride in one now :) I originally got that one because it had one of the highest weight limits I could find, because my DS1 is a giant! But we LOVE it! it's a 3 in 1 and is super easy to remove and install either by latch or belt. We can even fit a person on either side of the one in the back seat, they aren't that giant. I can't put all 3 of them together in the backseat however, but I don't know of any that would line up 3 in a row. I think I have a triplet mama that might tho, so let me ask her.

Here's the Amazon link, the second picture in is my DS1 when he was 9m ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Alpha-Omeg ... t+car+seat

Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sharerc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:45 pm

The radian sunshine makes one of the slimest car seats. They are very good seats as well and will last up to 80-85 pounds (in a 5 point harness). I can't remember. Britax also makes a 5 point harness seat that will go up to 85 pounds, the Frontier. I have 2 of these and they are great seats! However, I cannot fit 3 of them in the back row of my suburban.

As far as having seats in both cars, we had a nice seat in my car and a just OK seat in Dh's car. If I were you, I would buy a nice seat for your car and continue to use the infant carriers in DH's car until they outgrow them. At that point, get a cheaper seat if they won't ride in his car often.
Carrie and DH, Bryan
DD1 Raegan
DD2/3 Samantha and Mallory
The Sharer Family Blog

ImageImage

ImageImage
sharerc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby january » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:11 pm

We got Combi Coccoro seats for the girls for Christmas from my parents.

http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cocorro-Lig ... B00261RQYY

They're super slim & compact and can fit 3 across in most cars. We have a minivan with the girls in the 3rd row right now but they're right next to each other in the passenger & middle seats because those are the only 2 with LATCH. So if we keep them in the third row, I needed something slim so they could keep sitting right next to each other. And if we move them to the second row, I still wanted compact ones because I'm going to have to be able to squeeze between the back of the driver's seat and the back of the carseat to get to the third row to get DD1 buckled in.

Weight limit is up to 33lb RF'ing and 40lb FF'ing. DD is 40 and average in size and weighs just a bit over 30lb.

Plus, the colors are awesome. ;)

We have a Evenflo Triumph Advance for DD1 that I love -- super easy to adjust the straps -- but it's soooo wide. My parents have Graco Nautilus which is great too and converts to a booster but it also has a big footprint.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I would just keep in mind weight limits and what the seat can do. I didn't want to keep having to buy new seats at certain weight limits, so I got one that could covert and has a weight limit up to 100+. The most important thing is to buy seats based on your own needs.
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 pm

But also remember they expire in 6 years so you'll never ever hit that 100lb mark... but you SHOULD be able to make it through until they no longer need the 5 point booster and can be in an older kid booster seat.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm

january wrote:But also remember they expire in 6 years so you'll never ever hit that 100lb mark... but you SHOULD be able to make it through until they no longer need the 5 point booster and can be in an older kid booster seat.

That's a good point however, we've already hit the 50lb mark in 1 year, and the booster seats don't go bad that I am aware of, they have no cushioning effect only boosting properties... but I could be wrong. I have big kids so that's why weight was the most important for me. In 6 years I guarantee at least 2 of my kids will be close or over 100 pounds ;) That's why it's important to buy seats based on your own needs. We needed a seat that could hold big kids and not have to be replaced when they went over the weight limit. Most big kid seats can only hold 40-60lbs...

Anyway, my point is go with what is most important to you (putting 3 in the backrow, convertible, weight limits, etc..) and then look at all the options out there. There are tons of seats for every need :)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 am

When do kids move from a car seat to a booster seat? I guess that makes a difference on the weight limits too.

I'd imagine my babies probably won't outgrow the weight limits. They're both still below the 50th percentile for weight and height so I imagine I'll have smaller babies. I guess I'll know more the bigger they get.

My biggest concern is saving enough money, especially if we wind up getting 4 carseats.

Heather - Do you have extra seats in DH's vehicle or do you just always use yours? Most of the time we do take my car, but for January-April every year, I will be dropping the girls off and DH will be picking up every day and if it's a pain to move seats back & forth, we might have to shell out the money and get 4.

Robyn - Those seats do look comfy - pricey though, so probably not an option if we wind up getting 4

Robin - Love the pics of your 3, especially the Halloween one. That's so cute seeing them so young in that first picture since I'm used to seeing pics of them now.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Lurking

The Radian is very slim and you can fit three across which is really nice. They rear-face from 5-45 lbs., forward-face from 20-80 lbs. and 57" and then they convert to a booster up to 120 lbs. They also have a 10 year life. They are expensive, but you can get them at Buy Buy Baby with a 20% off coupon which is really nice. http://us.diono.com/en/car-seats

I have DS in one but it's an older one that doesn't convert to a booster. DD will be getting one in probably about a month since she is going to exceed the height limit in the infant seat. The Radian is a really nice, safe seat. And I know they are expensive but since you can use them up to 120 lbs. it might be worth it since you won't need to buy anything additional. Plus the 10 year life is really nice.

I don't have twins, but have two now. We do have car seats in DH's car but they are not Radians. I got really good, but less expensive seats for his car since we rarely use his. I hope some of this helps. :)
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby sharerc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm

I agree with not buying seats that won't last until they need boosters. And honestly, you should try and keep your kids in a 5 point harness as long as they will put up with it. They are just that much more safe than a booster. I made the mistake of buying several seats with my oldest DD. We had an infant seat, then one that went up to 40 pounds, then a 5 point harness that went up to 85 pounds (we used this for awhile), then a booster.

Also, just for size reference... My 9.5 year old, who is of average build, is 65 pounds and 54 inches. She could still sit comfortably in our Britax Regents. Of course she would be mortified if I dropped her off at school and she was sitting in a 5 point harness seat :D She did sit in a 5 point harness until she was 6. At that point she used a booster until age 8. My twins will do the same.
Carrie and DH, Bryan
DD1 Raegan
DD2/3 Samantha and Mallory
The Sharer Family Blog

ImageImage

ImageImage
sharerc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 pm

My triplet mama friend just wrote back, and a few other mamas, and they said Radians and Britax boulevards will fit 3 in a row :) Hope that helps :)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 pm

babydust2me wrote:When do kids move from a car seat to a booster seat? I guess that makes a difference on the weight limits too.

I'd imagine my babies probably won't outgrow the weight limits. They're both still below the 50th percentile for weight and height so I imagine I'll have smaller babies. I guess I'll know more the bigger they get.

My biggest concern is saving enough money, especially if we wind up getting 4 carseats.

Robin - Love the pics of your 3, especially the Halloween one. That's so cute seeing them so young in that first picture since I'm used to seeing pics of them now.

Thank you! They get big fast!

I would say if you're trying to save money (and even if your not) I really wouldn't buy double. Just get two seats, they really are fairly quick to install and uninstall. It may take a few times before you're really quick at it, but really IMO it's not worth the money to save a little hassle. Seats are pretty darn expensive.

Each carrier and carseat has its own weight limit and generally that's what most ppl go with, however with the carriers sometimes it's nicer for the kid(s) and parents to get a upright before they are at the weight limit depending on age. Most uprights are able to rear face. All of my kids were in a upright by 6m, mostly because they were bigger, but also because they were tired of laying down and they liked being able to see out the window - even if backwards. Not to mention it starts getting really heavy carrying them in those carriers. Just my 2 cents tho. Go with what works best for you ;)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jacana28 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:20 am

lurking..........(I don't even have twins, but I found this thread but helpful and useful!)

My DD is 15 months actual/12 months adjusted. She is very small for even her adjusted age--about 15lbs and 27 1/2 inches.

Around her first b-day, we moved her to a convertible car seat in my vehicle----GracoMyRide 65. It is a nice car seat (but big) and I like how DD can rear face until 40lbs.

However, in DH's vehicle, DD still rides in her old Graco Snugride 35. She is still well under the weigh limit of 35lb and height limit of 32 inches....however, I feel weird about putting my 15/12 month old in an infant seat.

I guess my question is...how long is is reasonable and safe to keep a child in an infant car seat? We do eventually want to buy another convertible car seat (preferably one that also turns into a booster), but for now this is working.
Julia

DD: 9/27/11~ 26.2 week preemie
78 days in the NICU
Exclusive Pumper---Platinum!

DS: 3/16/15- 39.1 week termie

Jacana28
Star Member
Star Member

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 am

Jacana28 - My post just above yours, the 2nd paragraph has my answer for this :) hope that helps.
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More