should I push for more monitoring?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

should I push for more monitoring?

Postby megan6912 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 am

At 8 weeks my OB told me I'm just a regular pregnant woman until 20 weeks. After 20 weeks we will start monitoring the twins more. Now that we know they are mo/di should I demand to have an ultrasound every 2 weeks starting at 16 weeks? Every twin site I've read says that if the twins share a placenta they must be monitored very closely starting at 16 weeks for ttts. I'm going to be seeing a perinatologist now that I've learned ttts can be treated through surgery but I want to know opinions on how hard I should push for more monitoring. My bff delivered a stillborn baby at 33 weeks and the thought of having to deliver 2 because I wasn't monitored enough scared me to death. Any opinions?
Megan (me)- 25
Jared (dh)-24
DS-1 born January 29, 2012 after 3 years of infertility

SURPRISE we are pregnant with an oops baby!!!!!!! YAY
Omg TWINS!!
megan6912
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: should I push for more monitoring?

Postby JADE0199 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 am

ABSOLUTELY!! You are very informed and smart for asking this question. I see you have done your research on TTTS.

I would find a Perinatologist that is willing to see you at 16+ weeks. When I was pg with my id twin boys, I was going to start to be seen at 18 weeks but decided to push it to 16 weeks and they were completely fine with it. Find one that is willing to accommodate you. You might also want to check with your insurance, if you have an HMO you will probably need a referral.

You might want to contact the woman that organizes the twintotwinsyndromefoundation.org website. she is very information. Please know, and I do not say this to scare you, but just to inform you, that the surgery is done only to try and correct it. (to correct the connecting blood vessels from each baby) it is a very invasive surgery and there is no guarantee that it will work. Please research the surgeon that will perform this surgery if your twins require it. Most have been trained by Dr Quintero. He is now in Miami. I was monitored by Dr Quintero and his staff starting at 22 weeks when my boys were diagnosed with Stage I. By some miracle, the boys pulled out of Stage I by themselves as Twin A raised his blood pressure sending more blood to his twin. Thankfully didn't qualify for the surgery and improved each week. Miracles do happen. There are other surgeons that perform this procedure but Dr Quintero is the pioneer of the surgery, he is amazing and a wonderful, kind man.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or just want to talk. Its a long and scary journey but its not always a doomed one.

Cathy
HH9
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby megan6912 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks for the info :). I already researched a Dr that will do surgery if it happens. (Better to be fully prepared and then not have to use all my info then not be prepared at all and have to scramble around and figure out a plan of action at the last minute). I want more monitoring cause I would like to be put on bedrest if God forbid it does happen and try to make it as long as possible without surgery. I'm feeling a lot better about having mo/di twins now that I have a plan in place just in case. I just have to get my dr on board with it.
Megan (me)- 25
Jared (dh)-24
DS-1 born January 29, 2012 after 3 years of infertility

SURPRISE we are pregnant with an oops baby!!!!!!! YAY
Omg TWINS!!
megan6912
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 pm

I would most definitely seek out another OB or MFM. You are not just a regular pregnant woman at any phase of a twin pregnancy and its upsetting that multiple pregnancies are becoming treated as such. Good for you for being proactive! Definitely keep us posted.
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:49 am

Yes you should absolutely be monitored more. You aren't just a regular pregnant woman until 20 weeks. I had di/di twins and the first thing my OB did when I was released from the RE was refer me to an MFM. I saw the MFM every 4 weeks and the OB every 4 weeks until around 26ish weeks. The MFM did in depth u/s at every visit. Mono/di twins are obviously more risky than di/di and if I had that much monitoring, you should have at least that.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JADE0199 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:56 am

I volunteered bedrest when my boys were diagnosed and increased my protein intake from 1 to 3 per day (Atkins Advantage is low in sugar and hi in protein) in the 3 days following the diagnosis of Stage I TTTS, and I think it made a world of difference because the twins pulled out of surgery by the skin of my teeth. I continued the bedrest and protein intake and every week their situation in utero improved. I am a strong believer of bedrest, even though the doctors may not be. You have be pro active in your own healthcare, and just follow your gut instincts.

With TTTS it can happen very rapidly, so having all your ducks in a row, bags packed, doctors chosen, is the best thing you can do to be prepared in the event that something happens.
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More