BF'ing one, bottle feeding the other

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

BF'ing one, bottle feeding the other

Postby january » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:59 am

Anyone have any experience with this?? The girls are 9 months now, are breastfed, but 8 days ago Cecilia went on a nursing strike (she bit me, I yelled, she got scared, commence strike) and absolutely nothing I have tried has gotten her back on the breast. I'd been feeding her pumped milk out of a cup because I don't want her getting hooked on a bottle but she fights it and will barely drink anything. And after days of that, she's started to get dehydrated (not very many wet diapers at all) so I've HAD to break out the bottle.

I'm going to keep trying to get her to latch but I think that now that she's getting a bottle, it'll never happen for us. :(

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this... what's easiest, what's the least time-consuming. I'm pumping for her too so I need to fit time for that into my schedule as well.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: BF'ing one, bottle feeding the other

Postby Lita74 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 pm

I did. My one son breastfed great until he weaned at 13mo. His twin, I weaned when he was 5mo due to biting/pulling, etc. I pumped and bottlefed him until he was 13mo...until his brother weaned! Then I stopped pumping completely. It was a lot of work and very time consuming. I don't know if I would do that again...I would probably do formula b/c I was exhausted. I think you have to consider quality of life, but do whatever you feel works best for you. Good luck!
Lita74
Star Member
Star Member

Postby january » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm

So far, I'm doing pretty good with pumping... it hasn't gotten too tedious or time consuming yet. I pump one side when I get up in the morning, pump again while the twins are having their morning nap, again at lunch time or when they take their afternoon nap, again after they go to bed & one last time before I go to bed. Ceci has some allergies and tummy troubles and doesn't handle formula too well so I really want to keep her exclusively on BM. But if I get to a point where she has to have a bottle or two that's half BM and half formula, I'm ok with that.

A couple questions though:
- How did you feed them? At the same time or one right after the other? I was thinking I'd try to just put Ceci on the nursing pillow while Ellie is nursing and give her her bottle there. I've nursed down on the floor while Ceci was playing an then given her a bottle after while Ellie was playing, but they're both too curious and demanding of my attention for that to go well.

- How do you know how often and how much she needs to eat? I've never bottlefed a baby before and I know FF'd babies don't tend to eat as much, but she'll be on pumped milk. I've got no idea how much she typically drinks when she nurses.

When she nursed, she'd do so 5 times a day. They both eat a substantial amount of solid food. Three large meals or table food per day.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm

We bottle fed, formula not bm so I'm not sure if it's different, and around that age it was about 5oz every 3 hours or so during the day. Mine weren't doing well at solids at that point though, so that's probably way more often than your girl will need. At 16 months, we're down to two bottles a day, 8oz each.

Chances are, if you give her 5oz and she's not full, she'll whine for more. Or she won't go as long as you want her to for the next bottle. I would go maybe 3 or 4 feeds with them finishing the bottle consistently, then add an ounce or so, to see if they did want more or if what they had was enough. I liked when they left a tiny bit of milk bc then I knew they were full.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shelly+3 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:24 pm

I think how much they need in a bottle really depends on each child. I went back to work when my DS1 was 11 weeks old and pumped while I was at work so he could have exclusively BM until 6-7 months. I know by about 4 mo. though he was getting 7oz at a time in his bottle and that wasn't enough and I had to supplement with formula because I couldn't pump enough.
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby babydust2me » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 am

We're exclusively FF here too but since my girls are close in age to yours I figured I'd offer my 2 cents. Mine are on solids 3x a day now. They get 3 7oz bottles during the day and one 8oz bottle at bedtime. Sometimes they take all 7oz sometimes they don't but that's what I offer every time. They let me know when they're done. Usually they'll go about 4 hours now between bottles. To bottle feed both at the same time I prop them up with Boppy pillows. Morgan holds her own bottle but she's not that great at it and Reagan doesn't even try to hold her bottle so I just sit between them while they're eating.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Have you tried pumping while the other is nursing? I'm not sure if it would be distracting for the nursing baby or not. You could nurse using the football hold and then hold the pump on the other side or get a hands free pump. I was lucky to never deal with nursing strikes. I hope you find something that works! GL!
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am

I don't check in that often here anymore, but just saw this. I BFed one and bottle fed the other from the beginning. Griffin took to nursing right away, even though he was the one with the traumatic birth. Henry never would. He had kind of a weird suck, and I think that was a big part of it. I tried for multiple days and refused to give him a bottle. After 4 or 5 days I was so exhausted and it was so hard we went ahead and did a bottle with some formula. As time went on I kept trying, but I pumped. He got pumped BM and Griffin was a champion nurser.

Generally I fed them 1 after the other, or DP fed Henry and I fed Griffin. In the beginning I had enough BM and enough time to pump so Henry got lots of BM. As time went on he got more and more formula. It was kind of a pain not to be able to nurse both, but it also gave DP time to bond with Henry while she fed him. There were times during the night that I would nurse Griffin and Henry would be on a boppy next to me and I would hold the bottle for him. You just do whatever works.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More