Needing BFing encouragement/advice

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Needing BFing encouragement/advice

Postby meggola » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 am

Everyone told me I shouldn't have any problems BFing two babies...but I am. Between the complications from my c-section and the GD I wasn't able to nurse immediately in the hospital, so the babies were given bottles of formula right away and then it took almost a week for my milk to come in. Now I feel like I'm playing catch up and my poor nipples are so sore I cry when I try to nurse or pump. I'm pumping/nursing as much as I can, but still supplementing with formula at least 50% or more. I'm feeling so discouraged...:( Any help you can offer is appreciated. This is so hard.
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Needing BFing encouragement/advice

Postby hazelbazel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 am

I was one of those people that it was really hard for too. Neither of my first 2 babies latched on correctly and I was often left with bleeding nipples. I ended up exclusively pumping for both of the babies. But that was really hard too because of the time commitment and I personally ended up getting mastitis several times due to being a super producer. This time I'm not planning to breast feed/pump at all. I had too many issues and it did a number on my body. I am choosing this for my sanity and the sanity of my family, since I also have 2 older ones depending on me.

With that said though, don't give up quite yet if you can hang in there a little longer. You may need a lactation consultant to come by and see if they are latching correctly. If they are then it may take another week or 2 for your nipples to "toughen up". If they are not, then maybe she can help you guys make some adjustments that will help. In the end, if it doesn't work out for you, don't beat yourself up. Breastfeeding truly isn't for everyone no matter how much they make it seem like it should be. Not all of us can do it. Most importantly do what is right for you and your babies and don't look back. Only you know what's best. Try not to let others pressure you into anything you don't want to do. GL and hope things start going smoother soon!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am

Breastfeeding is SUPER hard, especially in the beginning. It blows my mind that something so natural and something we're meant to do is so tough! I remember curling my toes in the beginning when my boys would latch on. They will toughen up though and it will get easier! If you can just plan to pump or breastfeed every 30 mins or so for a few days, it'll happen faster and you'll get a good supply going. Don't forget to eat too, you still need lots and lots of calories to keep your supply going. I used lots of nipple cream in the early days and also a hot/cold pack (Lansinoh has some out now I want to try, I saw them at Babies R Us) and then when I nursed my boys I had to use a nipple shield at first to keep them latched so it wouldn't hurt so much. See if you can get a lactation consultant to help you too! It will get easier, hang in there mama!
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 am

I'm lurking :wink: and not a multiples momma, but I surely remember the first few weeks of breastfeeding. I also cried every time my son latched. Then magically, one day it went away. Those nips can toughen up super fierce! Hang I there momma, it will get easier.
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby h0ping » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 am

Lurking - I also don't have multiples either......but I ended up switching to exclusive pumping for my now 7 month old. It was (for me personally) much easier and much nicer to my nipples lol! In the beginning I pumped 90-95% of the time and just nursed on occasion - sometimes 1 or 2xday sometimes not at all - then before he was 3 months I switched to only pumping. Again for me personally this was so much easier and I am still going at 7 months! But I would suggest try to talk with an LC - maybe they can offer some tips. For pumping - have you tried different size flanges or using olive oil on your nipples before pumping to "lube" them up? (its 100% safe for you and babies) and yes lots of eating and drinking!! Gatorade and water are best but any fluids are good - oatmeal is said to help with supply also..... and honestly you just need to do what works best for you - and breastfeeding/pumping is not for everyone and that's OK! Once I gave myself "permission" to do what I felt was best I relaxed a little more and things got better - and even know when I have a tough day I tell myself the same.....the first weeks no matter what you do are hard but the more stress you place on yourself the harder it will be....good luck you're doing a great job!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby meggola » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank you so much ladies! You rock.Your words are just what I needed to hear. I've had a good supply today, which has helped lift my spirits as well. Hoping to get to the point where they get all BM during the day and Ff at night...then go from there. I haven't been as sore today which is helping too.

I have seen a couple of LCs - one in the hospital and one at my pediatrician's office. It's because of them that I'm BFing at all. Really had the cards stacked against us from the beginning and I just have to keep reminding myself of that and try to be proud of our sccomplishments rather than beating myself up over what we have yet to achieve.

Thanks again!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lita74 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm

It will get better! I never really ended up tandem feeding mine...I did a couple of times, but found it hard. I fed one, then the other when they were both still on the boob. I had a nipple ointment called APNO from Dr. Jack Newman (google him for BFing tips!) and it really worked. Hang in there!!!!
Lita74
Star Member
Star Member

Postby tdarrow » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:31 am

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. Breast feeding is one of the most rewarding things we can do as mothers but it has its definite ups and downs. Lansinoh does make a really great ointment you could try. With my last baby he was 3 weeks early and found it hard to latch so the lactation consultant at the hospital got me a nipple shield. It saved me. It made it so much easier for him to get latched on until his mouth was bigger and stronger to latch on to just the nipple. After 10 days he was able to latch on just right. They make all different sizes. Maybe this would help you. If breastfeeding doesn't in the end work, don't beat yourself up. You are still a good mother and know you are doing the absolute best by your babies just by having them and loving them the way only you can. You are in my prayers. God Bless!!!!
tdarrow
Angel
Angel

Postby imdesired » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am

It will get easier! I promise. BF'ing twins is *nothing* like bf'ing one. Seriously - not even on the same wavelength. It was the hardest thing I did.
Having said that, yes, it will get easier. Don't let it discourage you. My boys also had to have formula in the hospital due to weight loss, and I became mostly a pumper for that reason, but still bf.
Hang in there...
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More