fluid leakage?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

fluid leakage?

Postby hazelbazel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm

So today after i got home from walking around the grocery store for a little while i noticed that my pad and underwear were really extra wet. The discharge on the pad was a dark brownish color. But the stuff around it and on my underwear was clear fluid. I noticed since them I've been pretty wet down there but only when i am up walking. Its not soaking really but I'm constantly telling likei have a "leak". When i went into labor with my first 2 children my water broke at home and would only come out ofI was standing in certain positions. This its sort of how I'm feeling now because if I'm laying down I'm ok. I dunno if this is making sense! Lol, sorry! Anyway I'm a tad worried and am just monitoring it for now... But wondering if any of you experienced anything like this? Ooh. And the odor is strong.... Not sure if sweet though?
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: fluid leakage?

Postby imdesired » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Well, a few things. You most likely wouldn't have such a little tiny leak like that since the babies heads aren't fully big enough to plug it all up, like you would a late term singleton.
When my water broke with the boys, it was a RIVER flowing out of me, like totally unmistakable. It also had a distinct odor, nothing like I've ever smelled before.
I'd definitely watch it. My discharge and wetness was out of control the last few months.

GL!
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 am

I didn't experience that, but if you continue to worry about it just mention it to your doc and maybe they can test it to reassure you it's nothing.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 am

If you have any doubt it's more than pee or reg discharge I would get tested ASAP just in case it is fluid. Better safe than sorry....
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks ladies. i went in today and all its well. I do have a lot of extra fluid and discharge they said but its not amniotic thank goodness. glad to rest my mind at ease!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Great news! I'm glad you got it checked
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 am

I'm glad to hear it wasn't amniotic fluid!

When my water broke it was obvious that's what it was. It didn't all gush at once but I had gushes like I was peeing. I had quite a bit of discharge while I was pregnant and I would sweat a lot down there.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 am

I'm late to this post but wanted to add my experience since it was different that the other experiences. When my water broke it was not obvious. I got up out of bed and was walking to the bathroom when I realized my thighs were wet. I had no idea if it was my water or if I had peed myself. The hospital tested me and sent me home, but then I noticed I was still leaking later that night and starting to have stronger contractions. Apparently if you have a small leak it's more likely to leak when you've been laying down and stand up as the baby's head acts like a cork when you are upright and keeps the fluid in, but while you are laying down it will leak out and pool in the birth canal and leak out when you stand up.

Anyway - just wanted to share. I'm so glad everything checked out okay and that it wasn't amniotic fluid!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Wed May 01, 2013 10:17 am

meggola wrote:Apparently if you have a small leak it's more likely to leak when you've been laying down and stand up as the baby's head acts like a cork when you are upright and keeps the fluid in, but while you are laying down it will leak out and pool in the birth canal and leak out when you stand up

I had a different experience although my girls were both breech so I'm sure that affected things. When I was sitting I didn't notice any leakage but everytime I stood up I'd feel another gush. Let's just say the Always pads work really well to contain amniotic fluid!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Good point Cassidy - baby has to be head down to be the 'cork', as my Baby A was.
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks ladies! With my first 2 they were head down and I'd get the gush when i first stood up too. My baby a is head down too so i imagine it'll NE similar. Its funny because even though i was tested i stool wonder of there isn't the tiniest of leaks happening. I hey really wet at times where my undies are soaked in liquid. And it's not thicker like the discharge that I've had loads of all through this pregnancy. Very thin. And i know this is strange, but the odor it's exactly the same as the bleeding was after birth....a sweet sort of smell.i know, very strange! But i figure its seriously a tiny Leak of it is one at all and I'll be checked again next week. Also i haven't had any increased contractions PR anything
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More