Update: Cervical length/funneling?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Update: Cervical length/funneling?

Postby hazelbazel » Tue May 14, 2013 8:49 pm

I woke up at 4am last night with lots of strong contractions. I counted and timed them for an hour while downing water, walking, sitting, laying down, you name it. Anyway, I was getting about 15 per hour so I headed in. Long story short, yes, the contractions were there and coming regularly. But my ffn was negative and cervix was high and closed. BUT, my cervix was 2.9 cm long and showed (what to me looked like) a lot of funneling at the top near the baby's head. I was really concerned when I saw this but the doctor was not concerned about this. She said 2.9 is pretty good and funneling can be normal at this stage with this much baby pressing on my cervix.

The problem is that my contractions still haven't stopped. They are not regular and I'm probably only getting 3 or 4 an hour. But they said to come in if I'm getting more than 6-10 per hour. They also said this may be my new "normal" untlil I give birth... having a lot of contractions. They said that I will likely have to come in a lot to get monitored to see if i'm in actual labor or not.

Anyway, I'm wondering a few things.... Do any of you know what your cervical length was around 29 or 30 weeks? Did you also have funneling? Do you think this is concerning at all? And what about constant contractions? When did you decide that perhaps it was actual labor and go in to get checked?
Last edited by hazelbazel on Thu May 16, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Cervical length/funneling?

Postby Shelly+3 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:18 pm

I have never been told what my cervical length was. They just always check it and say it is ok. I was surprised though last week at 32 wks +2 days they said that would be my last cervical length check. It may be though that I am going in for twice weekly scheduled NST's though now so they are more concerned with things other than cervical length at this point. Since you are almost 30 weeks now are you starting NST's soon? I don't know if that is something everyone does or if I just have to do that because they are worried about placenta issues with me.
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby babydust2me » Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 am

They always told me what my cervical length was but I don't really remember. If they said you were OK you probably were.

I second the question on NSTs. DId they say whether you'll start getting those soon? In the meantime, take it easy momma! I did have a lot of BH while I was pregnant.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm

I was 2.4 with small funnel only with pressure about 26 weeks I think? They said over 3 is good and under 2.5 they get worried more.i went 5 days later and what looked like the same funnel to me they said was mucous plug?? I usually have 3-4 contractions an hour at rest and more when I'm
Up. If I have more than 5 I take procardia and I'd that doesn't slow them I am to call/come in but so far the meds do there job and I usually end up taking them 1-2 times a day
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Update:
Well I ended up back in there again last night. Contractions were around 10-15 an hr for about 4 hrs. So I went in. Anyway, everything was perfectly fine. Yes. the contractions were most certainly there, but my cervix actually was longer at 3.3 this time, so they were not concerned at all. The ONLY thing that was of any concern was that my cervix is now a finger tip dilated whereas 2 days prior it wasn't. Babyluv, it's interesting that they gave you the procardia because they did offer it to me. After a long discussion I decided against it for now but may start it later if the contractions stay this persistent.

As for the NST's I THINK they said at my next appt they'll start them?? But I'm not entirely sure. I do know that everytime they check the babies they are very happy with their heart rates and weights. In fact last night we found out baby A is 3lbs 4 ozs and baby B is 3lbs 6 ozs. :) I was really happy to hear that!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Update: Cervical length/funneling?

Postby babyluv51 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:19 am

Glad they got them stopped. I spent yesterday in the hospital too and my length increased but was also a little dialated (fingertip compared to closed on Monday) they did 2 back to back procardia doses and Iv fluids. Mine slowed to 2-3 an hour and was discharged back to home bed rest and taking the prOcardia every 6 hours instead of only when I had more than 6 contactions an hour. It's interesting to see how and what each doctor does but I guess as long as the babies are cooking that's all that matters
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 pm

babyluv51 wrote:Glad they got them stopped. I spent yesterday in the hospital too and my length increased but was also a little dialated (fingertip compared to closed on Monday) they did 2 back to back procardia doses and Iv fluids. Mine slowed to 2-3 an hour and was discharged back to home bed rest and taking the prOcardia every 6 hours instead of only when I had more than 6 contactions an hour. It's interesting to see how and what each doctor does but I guess as long as the babies are cooking that's all that matters

What brought you back in? Increased frequency in contractions? If so, how many were you getting and for how long? What was the contraction monitor showing? I'm just curious why one doc would give one woman a double dose of procardia to slow the contractions, and send her home on some, and yet another doc gives another woman nothing other than a pitcher of water to drink?? I wasn't even told to be on any restrictions whatsoever! I mean I understand your cervix is shorter than mine, so perhaps that's the difference?? But the constant contractions can't be good either! Hummmmm..... stange. I just want to make sure they're not missing something with me and aren't being too lax.
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:53 pm

I was having 6 an hour for 2-3 hours even after taking procardia at home. I also had some large glob of mucous. I'm not sure how many I was having at first on the monitor bit they admitted me after 5 hours in triage and was still having 6 an hour plus irritability ( contactions less than 30 sec ) every 2-3 minutes. I had orders for terbutaline if I had more than 6/hour but I never did. Not sure of the differmce why they medicated here and not you? The increased length was the next morning after my admission. When I was checked in triage she said I had some spotting in my cervix, was 1/2 cm and 50% with mid position of cervix and baby -3 station. Maybe it's because of the +ffn test? She said I was well hydrated according to my urine but sometimes a huge flush of fluid will slow contractions.
Even if your cervix isn't changing yet, which it sounds like it is, they tell me that over 6 an hour indicates a pattern and they can't predict how log until they will start to change the cervix.
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm really surprised they didn't put you on any kind of restrictions!
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Hum. Very interesting. So our big differences are that you had +ffn and you have started to lose your mucous plug. Perhaps these are the reasons they are treating you more aggressively?? as for the contractions, i had about 10 to 15 per hour for about 5 hours. Then when i went in i had about 6 per hour that were legitimate large ones over 1 min contractions with lotsirritability in between. They finally settled to about 3 an hour after a while. so i dunno. Since then i am still having them but nothing too painful or frequent. Hopefully I'll make it to my next appt on Friday and then see how things look. Thanks got all the info. In the meantime I'm just taking it really easy.
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More