Par for the course?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Par for the course?

Postby babyluv51 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 am

Last night I woke up with a sick child and noticed I was having 8 contractions an hour. I couldn't remember if I took the procardia befor bed so I took one At 2am and went back to sleep. Today I'm still having 5-6 an hour ranging from 5-15 minutes between them. I have a call into my OB but wondering if this is just par for the course of twins in the third trimester? They don't feel like true labor contractions, just crampy bh as they always have lasting just over a minute. It's just so frustrating not knowing and running back and forth to the office or hospital every few days is getting really old. Any veterans have similar experience? Hazel and kricket, are y'all still contracting? How much and what are your doctors saying?
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Par for the course?

Postby kricket724 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm

I haven't really kept track of mine because I feel like as long as its tightening and not really super painful, I'm ok. I'd be more concerned with sharp cramps and spotting at this point. I haven't had anything super regular though and mine are predictable (when I stand longer than a few minutes, go up the stairs, move in bed, potty, etc) BUT, I do think better safe than sorry! Hopefully your hospital isnt too far away?

Hey, how was your growth scan on Fri? Did you find out how big the babies are now? Sorry if you posted already and I missed it.
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I was able to see my OB in the office. 1cm and super soft "it's really trying to open" she said. So I am to take the procardia every 4 hours now ( was 6 hours) and take a second pill if still having a lot 30 min after taking the first pill. I asked if I can relax a little since they are not intense or increase threshold of when I call but she said preterm contractions can almost fully dialate you even at an intensity less than I feel ( tightening with mild cramp).
Mine are def worse with any movement so I only time then when im laying still.

The scan showed A at 2lb 4oz and B was 2lb 2oz. I was 27 + 4 that day. I asked how that size was and the Ob said its less than 50th percentile but not bad for twins
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Mon May 20, 2013 5:49 pm

I had a lot like that very frequently. They were never consistent. My doc was not concerned unless they were getting longer, stronger and closer together. They gave me the 6 in an hour limit, but then said if it continues at 6 in an hour for a few hours in a row. So I never ended up going in for it as I could usually stop them or slow them by laying down, taking a bath or drinking a ton of water.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Wow, that's weird how similar our situations are now. Sounds like you're having a tougher time with contractions though. I rested most of the day today and didn't get very many but when we walked across the street to the park I had quite a few more. I know it probably wasn't the best idea but I've seriously been going stir crazy today and it was sooo nice outside. Plus i sat on the park bench the whole time we were there. Anyway, I feel like when I walk now the tightening is just constant and doesn't ever really let up. Does that happen to you? I think our babies are measuring really close and anything over 2lbs right now is great! I was 27+2 when they measured them last at 2.6 and 2.7lbs. I'm aiming for over 3lbs by next growth scan on the 29th. Trying to eat lots of extra protein, calcium rich food and of course drink tons of water. Also upped my magnesium to 500mg. I want to make it as enticing in there as possible so they stick around a while longer!
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4

TTC#3 since 2010

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Mon May 20, 2013 9:56 pm

I went in today too again. I have the same frustrations as you! WHEN should I be concerned? I was having about anywhere from 4 to 10 an hour all night long (some were waking me up) and all day. So in I went again. Good news is that my cervix is still 3.4 and I'm still only a finger tip dilated. I was actually shocked by this! BUT, come to find out, baby boy decided to flip sometime in the last few days and is now head down. So now I have 2 heads down there! This may be why I've been having such extreme pressure down there and a lot more low cramping. It makes sense anyway. Anyway, they sent me home with procardia this time. I'm to take it as needed every 4-6 hours and call if contractions don't go away. So we'll see if it works for me or not.

Babyluv- the doc said to me today that the procardia will only delay "true" labor by about 48 hrs. Given that you are so soft and spotting it seems like they might give you something stronger to stop the contractions other than procardia? Like I can't remember how it's spelled or what its called exactly, but there's an IV drug called something like terbultaline??? Are you familiar with it? Has your doc mentioned it to you? Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't heard of that option. My understanding is that this is what they use to stop true labor in it's tracks.

PS- isn't it weird that the 3 of us are all sort of going through the same thing????
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Oh yeah, I'm a bit further ahead than you guys, but at 30 week exactly babies were 3lbs 4 ozs and 3 lbs 6 ozs. At 27 weeks I think they were roughly a lb less. So you guys are really close to hitting the 3 lb mark!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 am

It is really interesting what one OB will do and not the others. That's why I think it's so important to stay informed and do your own research because they're all just practicing and going with what THEY think is the right thing. So far I'm happy with what my OB has offered and handled things. It's crazy how we're all going through very similar things! Hopefully we can all keep these babies in and baking for another month or two. I'd love to get to 36-37 weeks.

Hazel - That's awesome your babies were over 3lbs at 30 weeks! That's really encouraging and what I'm hoping to hear at our next growth scan on the 29th. When do you go for another growth scan?
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4

TTC#3 since 2010

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:34 am

It is weird, but I'm glad I "know" people going through the same thing. When I was admitted I had orders for terbutaline any time I had over 6 an hour but never had over 6 an hour once they got them slowed down. I don't have another growth scan scheduled so I don't know when the next one will be. We did discuss that if I go early ( less than 35 weeks) that they recommend a section since B is transverse. After 35 weeks its safer to deliver B breech. I am scared shitless of being cut and the recovery. My dr said she would be surprised if I went that far and wouldn't be surprised if I end up admitted before they are born but of course hopes that doesn't happen. Last night they were evert 7-8 minutes for a few hours so I did take 20mg in 4 hours and finally they slowed to eevey 15-20 min before bed. I def contract every time I stand up or walk or go up stairs like you do Kristen. I am totally stir crazy but scared to get up and do anything I don't have too. My kids either have someone here to watch them or they go to someone's house so I am not doing any alone time with them. A 2 year old is impossible to be alone with. My 3 year old is easier because he dorsnt run off or need picked up or diaper changed but he's def sad. He asked me " you won't have to rest once the babies are here right?" did you both get the steroid shots for the babies? I can't remember. Glad you have the procardia now hazel! It gives me horrid headaches and makes me hot/flushed but has been doing its job so I guess that's worth it!
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am

Babyluv - I'm so glad you have help! I did get the steroid shots. One last Wed and then one the next day in the Dr's office. Trying to think of it as an insurance policy rather than an earmark for an early delivery. I'm glad we all have each other to talk to about this stuff too! I have several friends who have had twins but its nice to talk to other mamas going through this at the same exact time. We're going up to the hospital tonight for a tour of the maternity ward. I know I'm going to feel silly having DH push me around in a wheelchair but I really want to go so I know what to expect. Especially if I end up being admitted for hospital bed rest at some point. Hopefully we all get to stay home! I'd miss my kids like crazy and I would feel horrible if my youngest had to go to daycare all day. :cry: Just hoping for the best when I go in for that growth scan next week!
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4

TTC#3 since 2010

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Tue May 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Wow! I just had to share! Just got home from my regular ob appt and baby boy is 3lbs 15 ozs, and baby girl is 3 lbs 10 ozs! I can't believe they grow so fast! They are in the 60th and 50th percentiles for singletons...do really good for twins. Oh and doc doesn't seem to think the gd had anything to do with it. Otherwise all its good. Having a good contraction day.....not many. Got some teaching on the gd. Babies both still head down.... All its good! :)
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Holy crap hazel!!! That's amazing! You have almost 8 pounds of baby in there!!!! Nice work! Glad it's been an uneventful day for you!

Have fun on your tour Kristen! Before I was on full out bed rest I would ride the electric carts in the stores and at the zoo.... It is embarrassing but sooooo worth it!
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Aww, that's awesome news Hazel!! You're a pro baby baker if I ever heard of one, wow! I'm super impressed and encouraged that my girls can put on a good bit of weight in the next 2 weeks! I'm jealous they're both head down too. Really wish mine would turn! Yay for a good contraction day too! :D

The hospital tour was great and I didn't feel too bad because there was another lady in a wheelchair too. So far we've toured three hospitals this pregnancy and I'm sooo glad I'm going to be delivering at this last one! So nice and new and the L&D rooms are really big and open. Just praying my girls flip so I can try for a vaginal delivery! I'd so much rather do that than have a c-section. Seeing the OR hall and learning the differences on how things go with V vs. C at this hospital make me even more motivated to want a regular delivery. I'll still have to deliver in the OR but all the nice things they have available for laboring plus the fact that I get babies right away instead of in recovery is very appealing. I wonder when it's worth the effort to try different things to get them to flip? I'm definitely going to research it.
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4

TTC#3 since 2010

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shelly+3 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Wow Hazel that's huge and awesome! :jump: Mine were just under 9 lbs together at my last growth scan but I was over 32 weeks at that point. For yours to be so big at 30 is wonderful!

Kristen if you find anything out about flipping twins I'd love to hear. I talked to my MFM about it and she told me that while it is technically possible, at my size now it's very improbable :cry:

Well I guess it's only fair - it's so hard for me just to roll over too, I guess I'm in the same boat as these boys.
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby meggola » Wed May 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Just wanted to share that I went through the same thing and carried to 37+3. At 30 weeks I was 1cm dilated and 80% effaced and stayed that way until 35 weeks when I got up to 3cm and 90%. Baby A was head down all that time and was fully engaged by 35 weeks. Her water broke at 37+2.
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More