Update Thread

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: Update Thread

Postby kricket724 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:46 pm

babyluv51 wrote:I'm still hanging around. Had a follow up in the OB office yesterday. Probably about the same (a good 2cm) to quote the doctor. I am absolutely dreading any nicu time so I really hope they stay put. As hard as it is now, I can't imagine back and forth to the hospital with having my DS1 and DS2 to take care of too.

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you're doing. I totally understand and feel the same way about the NICU. The longer we can keep them in now, the less time they would spend in there and hopefully in another two weeks, they wouldn't spend any time in there at all. Hang in there mama! We're so close! Plus, Hazel has to have her twins before us! ;)
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:32 pm

It's a weird position to have, but a tiny bit of NICU time isn't the worst thing. I'm sure to a mom who has only ever brought their newborn home it seems that way, but as a mom whose only experience is 9 weeks in the NICU (don't recommend that!!!), a few days to recover from a c-section if you have one could be a blessing.

Of course, hopefully all of your twinkies will be born perfectly full term etc and won't need it, but if it does happen, there's an upside too.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:43 pm

kricket724 wrote:
babyluv51 wrote:I'm still hanging around. Had a follow up in the OB office yesterday. Probably about the same (a good 2cm) to quote the doctor. I am absolutely dreading any nicu time so I really hope they stay put. As hard as it is now, I can't imagine back and forth to the hospital with having my DS1 and DS2 to take care of too.

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you're doing. I totally understand and feel the same way about the NICU. The longer we can keep them in now, the less time they would spend in there and hopefully in another two weeks, they wouldn't spend any time in there at all. Hang in there mama! We're so close! Plus, Hazel has to have her twins before us! ;)

LOL Kristen! If I wasn't scheduled for an induction I'd bet money you'd all go before me and I'd still be sitting here at 40 weeks!

Babyluv, try not to stress too much. Your babies are really great gestational ages for twins and you should feel proud. Like buggie said, a LITTLE NICU time might not be so bad if it is just the way the happens....they say the advantages are things like the nurses getting them on a decent feeding schedule before they come home, and you'd be able to actually sleep at night and recover for a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's without a doubt preferable to avoid the NICU if possible, but if it does happen it might not be all bad. Keep us posted on your progress and I'll say a prayer that those babies stay put a good while longer for you!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:33 am

It's funny, only knowing the NICU experience, I'd be WAY more scared to take a brand new newborn baby home with me than to leave them in the NICU for a while. It sounds terrifying. lol (ETA: this is 1.5 years out from my NICU experience, during it I would have taken the scary babies home ASAP!!! But they did come home on a schedule and I already knew them very well)
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:03 am

buggie wrote:It's funny, only knowing the NICU experience, I'd be WAY more scared to take a brand new newborn baby home with me than to leave them in the NICU for a while. It sounds terrifying. lol (ETA: this is 1.5 years out from my NICU experience, during it I would have taken the scary babies home ASAP!!! But they did come home on a schedule and I already knew them very well)

I feel the same way! Having them already on the NICU schedule when they came home was wonderful. But while they were in the hospital I wanted nothing more than to just have them home.

The idea of the NICU is scary and daunting but the most important thing is that your babies are born safely - whether they come early and have to stay in the hospital, or the can go straight home with you. I didn't have any kids at home when my girls were in the NICU though and that 3 weeks they were there was pretty tough.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 am

I think that's the main reason I want to avoid NICU time if I can Cassidy, because I have two older kids and it would just be really hard to go back and forth everyday. I think I would be so torn between my babies and my older boys. I feel really good at this point though. I know they've had a boost from the steroid shots and we're through the scary part of pregnancy so if they were born anytime now, they would be fine. I can totally see what you mean about the benefits of the NICU for scheduling and feeding, etc but I'm still just hoping I can take them home with me! Whatever happens, I'm just SUPER grateful we've made it this far! :D
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4

TTC#3 since 2010

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 am

I think there are several of you that have 2 kids at home already right? Yeah I can only imagine how hard it would be to split your time. The good news is that you're still going strong! My girls were 33 weekers and stayed 19 days in the hospital. Every day you keep baking those LOs, the lower that potential NICU time will be. Take care of yourselves ladies!

The point I was trying to make was only that the NICU was probably the scariest thing to me when I was pregnant, but in hindsight, it really wasn't the worst thing in the world. And I'm just grateful that it was there.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 pm

babydust2me wrote:The point I was trying to make was only that the NICU was probably the scariest thing to me when I was pregnant, but in hindsight, it really wasn't the worst thing in the world. And I'm just grateful that it was there.

Definitely! I have a friend who's a NICU nurse and I think they're all amazing. So thankful it's there if we need it. I would be more scared of seeing a tiny, micro-preemie hooked up to tons of tubes than a baby born at this gestation in there. I don't look at it as a horrible place or anything, just something I'd prefer to avoid if I can. All of you moms who have had NICU time are just amazing to me! I love that you all have super healthy babies now too because of what they can do for them if they're born early.
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4

TTC#3 since 2010

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 am

Yeah, I know the NICU is a good place for babies that need it. But just the worry of something going wrong and then having the other two (one just turned 2 years, and the other is almost 4 years old) at home is what makes me really hope I can take them home with me. BUT, I don't really have much a of a choice in the matter so will just have to wait and see what I am dealt :)
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More