Surprise! Twins at 21 weeks

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: Surprise! Twins at 21 weeks

Postby GreekMythFreak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Awesome! Glad you found someone you like who's listening to you :)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JoyfulJackson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm

With your midwives you never heard two heart beats? Reason I ask is because I'm also using a midwife and haven't had my ultrasound yet, but I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead, have twins in my family, all my dreams are with boy/girl twins(one time sextuplets, I had a positive test 3 weeks after last period (idk if that's really early or not) an had pregnancy symptoms start the week of conception. And I just have this feeling. I feel guilty I I talk like I'm just having one baby. But on the Doppler we've only heard one heartbeat.
JoyfulJackson

Postby GreekMythFreak » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:30 pm

JoyfulJackson wrote:With your midwives you never heard two heart beats? Reason I ask is because I'm also using a midwife and haven't had my ultrasound yet, but I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead, have twins in my family, all my dreams are with boy/girl twins(one time sextuplets, I had a positive test 3 weeks after last period (idk if that's really early or not) an had pregnancy symptoms start the week of conception. And I just have this feeling. I feel guilty I I talk like I'm just having one baby. But on the Doppler we've only heard one heartbeat.

It's definitely harder to find twins on a doppler, especially if you're not looking for them (midwife). Really a scan is the only way to confirm. can you not get an elective scan at an Ultrasound facility? many offer them for a flat fee
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:52 pm

JoyfulJackson wrote:With your midwives you never heard two heart beats?

Nope! She never heard two and I suppose there was never a reason to go looking for a second heartbeat once she found one. We opted out of the 12-week ultrasound and blood work that was tied to genetic testing, so the first opportunity to see that we had twins was at our anatomy scan, which didn't happen until 21 weeks.

In terms of symptoms or indicators, here's what I had: I got a light but clearly positive HPT at 8 dpo. I started throwing up at 5 weeks (3 weeks past conception). I continued to throw up almost daily (and often multiple times a day) until 13/14-ish weeks. I didn't measure big until I got closer to 20 weeks - my 19 week appointment with my midwife was the first time she was surprised by my size. I didn't have any dreams about twins, but my DH and I found ourselves talking or joking about twins a lot for no reason (or so we thought?). That's about it. Of course at the time none of this screamed "twins!" to me; I just thought it was all part of being pregnant.

Good luck to you, keep us posted on what you find out!
Me: 30 :kiss: DH: 30
~Expecting babies #1 AND #2 in October 2013!~
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby JoyfulJackson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:59 am

Thank you both!!! :) I'm a FTM so I didn't really know what was normal pregnancy either. I think te fact that they're in my family along with me knowing I was pregnant the week I conceived and all of my friends saying it was impossible to know or have symptoms yet started making me guess. And of course the dreams. Lol! But after measuring large consistently I'm more curious than ever. But I just kept being told "they'd probably hear two". Now I have some hope and don't feel as crazy for thinking there's a chance. My anatomy scan is sept 20. So i have a months wait. Singleton or twins I'm completely blessed and so happy! Married for 17weeks and I'm 16 weeks pregnant. And we're, Lord willing, going to have a BIG family! :)
JoyfulJackson

Postby GreekMythFreak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 am

JoyfulJackson wrote:Thank you both!!! :) I'm a FTM so I didn't really know what was normal pregnancy either. I think te fact that they're in my family along with me knowing I was pregnant the week I conceived and all of my friends saying it was impossible to know or have symptoms yet started making me guess. And of course the dreams. Lol! But after measuring large consistently I'm more curious than ever. But I just kept being told "they'd probably hear two". Now I have some hope and don't feel as crazy for thinking there's a chance. My anatomy scan is sept 20. So i have a months wait. Singleton or twins I'm completely blessed and so happy! Married for 17weeks and I'm 16 weeks pregnant. And we're, Lord willing, going to have a BIG family! :)

Just to offer some perspective, I was WAY more sick with my singleton than my twins, and with every pregnancy I started having M/S at 4 weeks... I did have a darker line right away and my HCG was WAY higher with the twins. Can you get a peak at your lab work maybe? Congrats either way on your BFP and KUP as to what your scan shows in a month! I know that feels like FOREVER away!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JoyfulJackson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 pm

I'll have to try to find my copies of the lab work. Thanks for your input! :D and Andrea19, Congrats on your pregnancy and twins!! :]
JoyfulJackson

Postby Labamby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Wow! What an amazing surprise! Congrats!
:babyb: 4/22/07
:babyb: 3/3/12
:babyg: 6/10/13

Handmade tutu sets, headbands/bow clips, and crochet accessories!
http://www.facebook.com/babybettyboutique1
Find us on Pinterest! @babybettyboutique
Labamby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mritnire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:11 am

Congrats on the twins! this is a great place to ask questions, and the girls are so supportive throughout everything!
Me(Erin): 29 DH: 30 DS:5
Blog: http://hitachiin1.blogspot.ca/

TTC#2 from Sep 2009

BFP July 24, 2011
EDD April 2, 2012
Gwen & Avery Born at 25 weeks 2 days - Dec 21, 2011

mritnire
Angel
Angel

Previous

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More