high blood pressure ? pre e?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: high blood pressure ? pre e?

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I don't have time to read ALL of the responses, but you're better safe than sorry! I would DEFINITELY go to your doc and have him check it out. They need to check your urine. Pre-E isn't something to mess around with. Besides, they may need to get you on a diuretic for your swelling.
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Well, tomorrow is my weekly appt. I'm SOOOOOOOO nervous for some reason. I'm very anxious about this possible pre-e stuff and I'm so afraid they're just going to blow me off or something. Not that I'll allow that, but sometimes I have a hard time while "in the moment" trying to say everything I need to say. I've made a list of al my blood pressures over the last few days, all my symptoms, etc etc. So hopefully that will help me get through the appointment OK. I JUST want them to take me seriously.... I'm NOT making up the high BP's (they should know that, they were high in the hospital on Fri) nor any of my other symptoms..... how much "this is just how your body is handling this pregnancy" is OK to accept? I mean I don't want to be anxious and nervous, but I am!! Aurgh. I just feel like I wish my docs were overbearing and overly concerned types. They are perinatologists and deal with this all the time, so it seems like nothing phases them. I should have faith in them then, right??? aurgh.

I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes. I'm so fearful I'll show up and my bp will be low and all will appear fine, making me look like a hypochondriac!!! By they way, heachaches started yesterday with BP's in 150's /90's when I have them........
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:49 am

I have an appt tomorrow too! Hopefully we both have good appointments. If I were you, I would ask them specifically what IS concerning to them and let them know that YOU have been concerned for a while now and feel like that hasn't been taken into consideration. They need to either give you some really good reasons to not be worried so you feel reassured or make sure to tell you to come in whenever anything seems off. This is all new territory, we are high risk and I don't know about you, but I don't want a home delivery so they need to do their job and make sure we feel taken care of and reassured! Plus, you are so close to delivery, it's totally understandable that you will be worried about anything that doesn't seem right. Even with my first pregnancy and not knowing what to expect, I was still worried and concerned about my BP. My OB didn't take any chances though so at 37 weeks I was sent to deliver. You're right on the cusp of full term with twins so they sure as heck better be erring on the side of caution. Is your DH going with you? Can he help advocate for you? My DH is really good about speaking up when he knows I'm having a hard time telling them how I feel. Anyway, keep us posted!!
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:56 am

How did everyone's appointments go?

I hope they actually listened to you Hazel. Pre-e is nothing to mess around with.

I had my appt this morning too. Still 1cm and 50% so no changes there for a few weeks now. BP and urine looked good and at least A is head down still. Unsure of B, but I guess we won't know until delivery or our next US at 35 weeks.
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I would ask to do a 24 urine to be safe. I'll share my personal experience. I had my first NST at the hospital at 32 weeks (Friday) and I was consistently having high BP readings. I saw my OB on Monday and I had a very low level of protein in my urine, but it was the first time that ever happened. He sent me for the 24 hour urine. I turned the jug in Wednesday and saw my MFM Thursday. My BP was high again and he was able to check the results of my 24 urine. A level above 300 is pre-e and I was over 900 by that point. He diagnosed me as pre-e, put me on bedrest and told me I'd delivery by 37 weeks. I went home and my water broke that afternoon. The babies were born the next morning. Like Robyn, I never had any headaches or any other symptoms of high bp. It was a total surprise. Good luck!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shelly+3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 pm

That sounds scary Hazel, especially when you are consistently getting headaches along with bps of 150/90s. I hope your appointment went well today and they took you seriously!
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby hazelbazel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 pm

OK, I already wrote this all out once! And lost it! Aurgh! Lemme try to sum everything up!

So at my appt today they FINALLY took my seriously. Mostly because my BP while there was 147/97. However I had no protein in my urine. My weight gain was up another 5 lbs this week though, making about 15 lbs in 3 weeks... while on the GD diet.... so definately mostly water retention. We now have a plan. I've been put on blood pressure medication and complete bed rest now. I will do a 24 hr urine test to see if any protein shows up in the test. In addition I will get repeat labs drawn on Wed, and then follow up with the doctor again on Friday. They agreed to monitor me closely from here on out. I'm to call if my BP doesn't go down or continues to go up. Doc said that if BP is still concerning and I'm still retaining so much fluid they will consider inducing me at 36 weeks. But we will see.

Overall I came out of the appt VERY satisfied. I feel like I'm getting watched now the way I should be and protecting myself and my babies in every way I can. Plus, there's a possible end in site????? We shall see I guess.

Oh and get this!! Baby girl measured 5 lbs 3 ozs today and baby boy measured 6 lbs 3 ozs! WOWSERS! BIG babies! :)

Sorry, I shall respond to everyone else's comments another time.... I already did so once and lost it and now have no energy left! LOL! Thanks for all the concern and advice though. You guys are the BEST and have helped me through this so much. :)
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Glad they're watching you and rest up! You're only job now is to bake those babies and take care of yourself! KUP on your protein study :)

My twins were delivered at 35+0 and they were 5lb12oz each, sounds like you're carrying about the same ;)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 am

Wowsers! I just got caught up on this. I'm so glad your doc listened and is keeping a close eye on you. With my swelling at the end my OB was concerned about pre-e and sent me for blood work and kept a close eye on my BP, but I never developed pre-e. My hands didn't swell though - just from the waist down. You're so close now! Can you believe it? Hang in there momma!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:10 am

Hazel I'm sorry your Bp is still up but so glad they are finally taking you seriously! Do you have help at home so you can rest?
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 am

So glad they're taking you seriously now Hazel!! Should've from the beginning but definitely good that they are now! You are SO close and wow, great sized babies!! :D

Don't want to hijack your thread so I'll post my update in the other one.
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks everyone!

I have a call out to the doc right now because I've had a wicked headache all day that tylenol didn't touch along with nausea. I even had the chills bad this morning. I feel like I have the flu. Anyway my BP just this afternoon has plummetted to normal levels, so I'm thinking it all has something to do with the new medicine. In either case I want to discuss it with the nurse so I called. Oh, and strange, but I've been having pain under the right side of my rib cage here and there for weeks but it's really gotten worse over the last day or 2. I just chalked it up to having little feet pressing on me there, but it is also a sign of pre-e or HELPP. I'm sure I'm just thinking the worst, but in any case it's definately there. I'll keep you all posted on what the nurse says.....
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Yikes on the head ache and pain under your rib, those are the two main questions they asked me every five minutes when I went into the hospital for my pre-e. Good luck and I'm glad you're staying on top of it, after my section my MFM told me my pre-e had him worried he'd put me on the monitors and they wouldn't be able to find heartbeats on the guys. That's why he pulled the c-section trigger for me at 29 weeks. Like everyone says pre-e is nothing to mess around with or not take seriously, I'm honestly shocked your docs aren't putting you in the hospital at this point. Have they checked the babies cord blood flow?
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Buggie- yes they checked the babies cord blood flows yesterday and they were perfect.

I talked to the nurse after she discussed everything with the doc. They think I'm probably having side effects from the BP meds...they can cause headaches. As for the rib pain it's most likely the baby pushing on that side but I will tell them if it gets worse.

I'm in process of doing my 24 hour urine collection and tomorrow I'll go in for my blood work. We'll see what that all shows. In the mean time I'm just feeling pretty rotten. But here I sit, waiting!
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shelly+3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 pm

So glad they are listening to you and taking you seriously now! Hopefully the bed rest will help. I know my swelling went way down after several days to a week of bed rest. I think I actually lost about 8 lbs that first week and it was all water. You are so close now and their sizes sound great. That is about what they estimated mine to be at my last growth scan at 36+2 (and my DS was 9 lbs 7oz so I make big ones)!

Hopefully you are in the home stretch now and that the bed rest helps!
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More