high blood pressure ? pre e?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: high blood pressure ? pre e?

Postby buggie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Oh great, good cord blood flow is a good big deal. Yay!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:42 pm

So let's rewind to last week. Turns out my 24 hr urine came back clean and so did my blood work. In addition my bp seems to be coming down (sometimes) now that I'm on the bp medicine. At Friday's appt the doc wasn't overly concerned but did say that due to the gestational diabetes and gestational hypertension that she'd be willing to induce at 37 weeks. So right now we are scheduled to go in on July 7 and deliver on July 8.

Fast forward.... So for the whole week I've been getting headaches that are getting progressively worse. The doc thinks this is due to the bp meds because my bp is lower. However my bp isn't always lower, there are many times that its still 140s/90s especially when the bp meds seem to be wearing off for the day. Nonetheless, I've been having other wierd symptoms too. I have been having really bad middle right back pain that radiates to the front of my ribcage for the last couple of days, periodically. Last night it lasted from around 4pm until I finally fell asleep sometime in the middle of the night. But today it was better only coming and going sometimes. Yesterdays episodes were interesting though because I was having a fair amount of contractions too and could feel the back pain intensify when the contraction came on. Anyway, it didn't hit me until last night that my pain was on the right side of my body and prehaps this is another pre-e sign. Additionally, today I went to sit down and all of a sudden got tons of extrememly vivid black floaters in my eyes. It only lasted maybe 30 sec to a minute and I had changed positions, so I just wrote it off. But still..... kinda weird and a bit concerning to me.

Lastly, the worst of all of this is that I have TERRIBLE body aches. It almost feels like I have the flu. My limbs all ache. My knees ache when I bend them, the bottoms of my feet have serious pain when I walk. If the tops of my feet are touched in any way I recoil because if feels like I have giant bruises all over them. My fingers are so swollen I can't touch my thumb to my pinky. My neck and jaw hurt. Oh and of course the constant pressure headaches. I have so much fluid on me that it's just so painful now. I'm guessing this is the reason for the all over aches and pains. I only gained 1 pound between Mon and Fri's appt, so that was good. But I weighted myself tonight and I am 2 lbs heavier than yesterday.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO THINK OR DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much of this is normal??? I know pre-e can develop overnight and I'm already borderline but I've been tested twice in the last week for it and was squeaky clean. My BP is also better if anything... not worse. But who know's what it'd be without the meds at this point, right??

Aurgh. Sorry, I just need to get it all out. I have my next appt on Tues. Should I just wait? Get checked again tomorrow? Aurgh. I seriously just don't know what to do......
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 am

Don't mess with it, go to the hospital, or get a second opinion, or something. All just my opinion but you sound miserable and those are signs that something is not right. Personally, I would not wait until Tuesday as that is a loooong time and a lot can go wrong very fast if you're developing pre-e or eclampsia.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:22 am

Oh Hazel, that sounds horrible!!! :( I think I'd go in for a second opinion too. If the babies are ok, that's one thing, but you shouldn't be miserable like that and I can't really imagine it's good for the babies either. I still can't believe they're being so blase about all of this! It really seems like onset pre-e and I just can't believe they haven't hospitalized you to keep a constant watch on all of this. I hope something eases up and you get some relief. July 8th is a long way to go being that miserable! :hugs:
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:52 am

I tend to agree about getting a second opinion. Go with your gut - if you feel something isn't right, don't take any chances, get it checked out. Go to triage/L&D, get a 2nd opinion, whatever you need to do.

Also - the MFMs were willing to schedule my c-section earlier because of my horrible swelling - it was very painful - I cried every day because I was so miserable. There was no risk to the babies from it, but I was miserable and immobile and my health was declining because of it (I didn't know it at the time, but I was losing weight because of the GD diet and my imoobility - I was putting on water weight so fast that the docs thought I was good, but within a few weeks of birth I was 10 pounds lighter than I was pre-pregnancy). At that point the babies were looking great and a good weight, so they felt that my well being was worth going a little earlier. I'm glad they did - my OB had wanted to wait another week. The swelling and how it had affected me at the end ended up affecting my recovery IMO and if I had gone longer I think my recovery would have been even more difficult - and when you have newborn twins to take care of, you need your strength! Of course, in the end, my water broke the day before my scheduled c-section so they would have been born then no matter what - but I took it as validation that going any longer wouldn't have been good for us.

KUP on how you're doing!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:32 am

buggie wrote:Don't mess with it, go to the hospital, or get a second opinion, or something. All just my opinion but you sound miserable and those are signs that something is not right. Personally, I would not wait until Tuesday as that is a loooong time and a lot can go wrong very fast if you're developing pre-e or eclampsia.

Yes, please get yourself checked out ASAP. Pre-e can get serious fast. Keep us posted!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Well yesterday and today have been better so I didn't go in. The only things are that my bp remains arand 140/90 and I've had a few more episodes of seeing spots but not like before.....it was just a few spots and then gone. I did have 1 bp last night that was 162/94 but it was during a really painful belly cramp (I think gas related) and it immeiately came down and hasn't been back up since. Back pain seems to have subsided for the most part too. I have an appt tomorrow so I'll get thoroughly check out then. I'll continue to keep you all posted!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Make sure you mention all of your symptoms tomorrow. Seeing spots was one of the things the doctors told me to watch out for. I'll be thinking of you!

IUI#2 - BFP!
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 am

Hoping you have a good appt today!
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Thinking of you and hoping your appt went well today! Update us when you can! :D
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Well, I'm STILL here... LOL! Everytime I think for sure they'll be keeping me, but alas I'm sent home again. Oy. So today's update. No protein in the urine, BP was good, and I actually LOST 5 lbs this week! So the high BP meds or the bedrest or whatever, seems to be helping. All my other symptoms....well they seem to be due to pregnancy, not pre-e. But, I'm still watching closely. My BP at home is still pretty borderline even with the meds but I'm hoping it just stays "gestational hypertension" and doesn't have a chance to develop into pre-e. I'm now counting down the days until my induction.... 12 more days. (my ticker is screwed up, don't pay attention to it!) I also found out I'm positive for group B strep.... not a big deal I'm told, but it's just so funny how all these things I have this go around I never dealt with in my previous 2 pregnancies. Gotta be the twin thing! Babies looked awesome on ultrasound too, so I was very happy to see that. I guess both of my babies have full head's of hair! I can't wait to meet them!

Interestingly enough though, I could have SWORN I was in the start of real labor as of yesterday. I haven't been able to sleep without being woken with serious cramping and contractions for 2 nights/days. I had as many as 12 contractions per hour last night, and they were rather painful period like cramps that radiated down my legs. The pain is new. Anyway I figured I'd be showing some dilation today, but I COULD NOT believe it.... NONE! After all of that! I swear I have a cervix made of cement! I'm going to be doubled over in pain before my cervix actually makes a change on it's own!!! lol! But actually, with my last 2 pregnancies I never got over 3 cm on my own. My waters broke both times but then contractions just stopped and I had to be induced both times. So prehaps I do have a stubborn cervix. It is soft and 60% effaced though, so that's all good. The nurse was touching the baby's head, she said it's about 0 station right now.

Anyway. That's my update. I'm thankful we all appear healthy at this point. But SOOOOO frustrated with my lack of progress and experiencing EVERY symptom under the sun yet none of it meaning a darn thing! Makes me feel like I don't know my body at all!
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 am

I'm so relieved for you that it's still not pre-e! Keep taking it easy!

That's pretty crazy about the pain and no dilation, but it reminded me of my time in the hospital. WHen my water broke, they admitted me, but since I wasn't contracting they weren't in a rush to deliver me since I was only 33 weeks. Overnight I started having true labor contractions and they got progressively worse from around midnight to 6 am. By the time they checked me I was shocked to discover I was only 2cm dilated. I was in PAIN! I felt like such a huge wuss and I couldnt' understand how women can get all the way to 10 without any pain meds. I've since learned that everyone is different of course.

Keep on cooking those babies!

IUI#2 - BFP!
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More