Experienced MOMs - I need advice to preserve my sanity! lol

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Experienced MOMs - I need advice to preserve my sanity! lol

Postby meggola » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 am

I'm getting desperate to get out and about with my 3 month old twins! I'm home by myself all day with these two, and am feeling like the nice summer weather is passing me by while we're all cooped up in the house! I thought I'd turn to you all for ideas on how you managed to get out and about with your twins at a young age. What were your strategies? Where did you go? So far my big outing each week is to go to a new mom's coffee group that meets at our pediatrician's office. We went to the mall this weekend, which was fine until it was feeding time. Also - navigating stores and bathrooms with a double stroller was a little insane. Help! lol
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Experienced MOMs - I need advice to preserve my sanity!

Postby buggie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 am

Do you have a park near enough to walk to? I would go for a walk with my boys, they'd fall asleep in the stroller and I'd sit on a bench and read until they woke up. It was really nice to have that fresh air and quiet time.

Or we would go to the baby program at our local library. I had a friend meet me there so she could hold one for the songs and such. We started that at maybe 4 or 5 months, but there are always teeny babies there too. We still go every week.

Target! No one cares if babies are crying in Target, the aisles are super huge and ours has elevators for the different floors/parking garage.

I'd just get used to the double stroller being huge and a pain in the butt. Mine is a tandem and you just learn how to maneuver it eventually. Doesn't phase me anymore.

And my main outing was walks. Everywhere and anywhere. Around our neighborhood, to downtown (live in a small town right near downtown, so very convenient), to the park, to Starbucks, to Subway, to Brueggers.

Good luck! I know how horrible it feels to be trapped in the house, after two winters of preemie isolation!!!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby imdesired » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Last summer, our sanity savers were drives to small towns in the mountains (I live in Colorado), and then sight see, or we got a season pass to our Amusment park, and just walked around with them in their double stroller/bucket car seats. Anything that I could pack them up and walk and go. Tons of drives - that was so nice!
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bakermommy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 am

I don't really have much advice because We pretty much lived indoors for the first year. I like to keep things low stress so I just chose to stay in but I just wanted to stop and say that it does get easier with age and you learn how to manage by yourself. Hope you can get out soon.
4/2009 :angel2:
IVF#1 BFP 10-23-10
Beckham Cale 5lbs 6 oz 6/17/11
Brody Kingston 6 lbs 2 oz 6/17/11
BFP#3 5-4-12
6-5-12 :hb: 157
6-26-12 :hb: 160
7-25-12 :hb: 144
8-6-12 It's a boy
1/5/13 Bray Isaiah 8 lbs 5 oz
BFP#4 7/29/14
Beta # 1 7/30/14 (15)
Beta #2 8/1/14 (66) Progesterone 26
9/10/14 :hb: 166
10/8/14 :hb: 156
11/10/14 It's a Princess!!
3/27/15 Brooklyn Grace 7lbs 13 oz 19 in
bakermommy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby babydust2me » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm

I pretty much lived indoors our first summer as well. Combine premature babies with South Lousiana summer heat and me not fitting into any shorts means I wanted to be in the A/C. I did go out a couple times a week sometimes. Mostly it was trips to the grocery store or Target. Reagan was in PT for a while so we went there about ever 2 or 3 weeks. Other than that we didn't do much. I went back to work when the girls were 12 weeks old.

It definitely does get easier and like Robyn said, you kind of just get used to the big double stroller. I use the tandem one as well for most shopping trips. Yes it's long but you gotta have it. It's tough getting things done with 2 babies. I used to plan our outings around feeding time. My girls were pretty regularly eating every 3 hours so I'd give them their bottles and then we'd go run errands so we'd be back home before it was time for the next bottle.

Like the others have said, it does get easier the older they get!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JJsBump » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Meg thank you for asking this!!!

When I'm by myself (which is most often), I end up staying home with them. But last weekend my GF was in town and we took them everywhere!! We were all exhausted by the days end but I enjoy getting out. I kind of feel like a celebrity when I do though bc everyone ogles them (and then stares at me and my stomach!!!) and the questions start.

Oh and Laura, OMG love your new pic of your boys..they look like rock stars .
Me:(JJ) 33 DH:37
TTC#1 for 2.5 years
IVF#1: BFP but chemical
FET#1: BFN
IVF#2: BFP! TWINS!!
15w: 2 BOYS!!!!
4/10/13: We welcomed E & O @ 35 weeks!!
5/8/15: SURPRISE BFP !!!
Betas: 12dpo: 49, 14dpo: 102, 21dpo: 1749, 28dpo: 14,737
6/4/15: ONE baby with :hb: 134
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
JJsBump
Angel
Angel

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:24 am

I started taking mine out and about the week we got home, with my singleton too. I just decided I wasn't going to be stuck at home (either time). We would go all over the place: Shopping, baby stores, parks (for my older one), museums, zoo, family's houses, etc... As far as strategy, I would make sure the diaper bag was packed, have the stroller in the car and go. If we were going to be somewhere for a while, I would take the pack n' play. Also, depending on how many kids were with me I would take a baby carrier. You just have to do it, like ripping a bandaid off, the 1st time and then you'll be fine. You can do it!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ritzy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm

I 'm with Greek on this one....we went everywhere and anywhere...we still do! I have an older daughter so I had no choice but to get out. I was taking her to school everyday when the twinkies were 3 weeks old...We walked to our Farmers Market every week and I got used to nursing on park benches and the mall. Nordstrom(do you have Nordstrom where you live? I'm in So Cal...) has an awesome women's lounge that we would use at the mall to nurse and change the kids....I hated my tandem stroller so I invested in a small side by side and its so much easier. We took tons of walks...the only thing we didn't do that first summer was hit the beach...I wasn't brave enough for that! The kids are two now and we go everywhere!
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 pm

ritzy wrote:I hated my tandem stroller so I invested in a small side by side and its so much easier. We took tons of walks...

^^ Totally agree! Hated the tandem, got a jogging side-by-side and life got SO much better!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shelly+3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:51 pm

I can't wait until mine are old enough to go in a double umbrella stroller. The giant stroller barely fits in my car. Actually DH has put it in the car for me and I have yet to do it myself!
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 am

Well I actually prefer my tandem stroller when I'm shopping. Those side by sides just don't navigate well between aisles or clothes racks - even my super light umbrella one. I've got 3 double strollers - a tandem one, a double jogger and a double umbrella. It sounds a little ridiculous but they all serve unique purposes!

IUI#2 - BFP!
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:23 am

lol - we have 4 strollers already! Two Gracos and two joggers. We've been finding them at yard sales for cheap, thinking that we would keep one or two at my inlaws for when we visit. The twins aren't old enough for the jogger yet though. I feel more comfortable with the other stroller anyway, for the same reason, the side by side is just so wide!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:26 am

Yeah I didn't start using the side by side until the girls were around 7 months old. They weren't sitting on their own until then so it was just easier to stick them in the Graco tandem with their carseats.

IUI#2 - BFP!
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More