Getting ready & the essentials

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Getting ready & the essentials

Postby Andrea19 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi all,

I've been slow to nest and I have a couple of baby showers coming up this month so I've been hesitant to buy anything for our babies. However, my DH and I have been talking this week about getting ready with a few essentials in case our babies come early. So I have two questions:

1. When should we be ready? I was thinking that we should have the absolute essentials by the beginning of August, which puts me at 30 weeks. Does this seem reasonable?

2. What are those absolute essentials? So far I've come up with: car seats, a place for them to sleep, basic newborn clothes, swaddling blankets, diapers and wipes, burp rags, feeding pillow(s) and other breastfeeding supplies. What else would you add?
Last edited by Andrea19 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me: 30 :kiss: DH: 30
~Expecting babies #1 AND #2 in October 2013!~
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Getting ready & the essentials

Postby buggie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm

I would say 30 weeks sounds good, even a little later would be fine as if they were born then you'd have their NICU stay to continue getting ready at home.

Stroller!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 am

I agree with Robyn about the timing. I would add though that for me, things really went downhill after 30 weeks and I wasn't able to do much after that point. Luckily I had gotten most of my nesting done by that point.

Your list seems to cover what you'll need right away. I guess you might want to have a breast pump, though the hospital should rent you one while you're there and if you need the NICU if you're unable to nurse right away.

You'll be amazed at how generous people will be with gifts. Make sure you have plenty on your registry. I was blown away at everything we received. After the twins were born I swear we got a package every day in the mail for a few weeks!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 am

I had all my essentials by 28 weeks because you never know how the end is going to go and you start to get REALLY big and don't want to be doing much. I bought everything else after they arrived ;)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JADE0199 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 am

Breast pump and accessories

stroller or stroller frame for car seats

atleast 1 swing

bottles and accessories

bathtub and bath accessories

diaper cream

baby water and formula incase you have to supplement
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:25 am

I had my baby shower at 27 weeks and went to work getting the room set up. By 30 weeks I was pretty much done with the room and good thing because I wouldn't have been physically able to do more.

Yes if you do go into labor early, you'll still be able to get stuff done while the babies are in the NICU. Mine only stayed 19 days and I really didn't have that much free time at home between hospital visits and pumping every 3 hours around the clock. That said, I put together the swing, bouncy seat and stroller while the girls were in the NICU.

As for what you need right away, I would add a few bibs. I wasn't anticipating bottle feeding my girls but I wound up having to and they were (and still are) pretty messy drinking their bottles so it was nice to have the bibs on hand. Oh and pacifiers if you plan on offering those. You'll probably get quite a bit for your shower but in case you don't, either some Dreft or some other kind of sensitive laundry detergent to wash their clothes in. Meg is right, people are VERY generous so make sure you have a lot of stuff on your registry. I had a LOT of hand me down clothes and I had 2 babies who spit up and it still took me a good 9 months to run out of all the Dreft I got at my shower. I wouldn't buy too many newborn sized diapers until after your babies are born and you know how big they are.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More