Finally! Clara and Benjamin Birth Story and Spam!

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Finally! Clara and Benjamin Birth Story and Spam!

Postby hazelbazel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm sorry I'm so late with all of this! Considering the twins will be 1 week old tomorrow, I figured it was about time I updated you all! :)

First of all, my birth story:
I can't remember what I've already shared with you all! So forgive me if I repeat any details. Basically I went in last Sunday night only to find out I was almost 5 cm dilated all on my own- with NO symptoms mind you... oy! Good thing I was scheduled, or I may have delivered at home! lol! So anyway, no cervical ripening was needed. They told me to go to sleep, and we'd start the pitocin at 6 am. So after pretty much zero sleep...lol!.... they came in at 5:30 and checked and I was still at 5. They started the pit right around 6. I could feel a bit of something happening, so I decided to get the epidural before the real pain kicked in. The minute I sat back after my epidural was placed, my water broke all over the place (my body was ready!). I was pretty numb by about 7:30 except for one side of my uterus was pretty on fire....eventually though it did go numb too. They checked and I was 7cm by that point. Then the rest was a blur. Around 8:15 or 8:30 I was feeling "something" and told them they better check me. I was about 8-9cm at that point. Nurse said, oh it'll probably be a while yet. I told her I highly doubted it'd be more than 10 mins...! She left the room, then came back during my next contraction and I told her she'd better check again, I was having the urge the push. Sure enough, baby was practically falling out of me! I was ready! All of a sudden it was a mad rush to get to the OR, with IVs, wires, people everywhere, everyone throwing scrubs on in the hall while running.... it was crazy! We get in the OR, they lock my bed in place and no sooner I hear myself asking, "can I push now?", and pop! Out came Clara! :) Everyone was shocked! Then they said baby boy was still rather "up there" and I'd have to push a lot to get him to come down to the birth canal. So I began pushing and pushing... and 8 short mins later, out came Benjamin! Again, everyone was shocked! Especially me! They made it sound like I was in for the long haul to get baby boy out... nope! Next thing I know, I'm delivering the placentas and we are all focused on the babies. At this point, I leaned over to my sister, who held 1 leg during the delivery, and whispered, "I don't want to jinx anything, but that was SOOOOO easy!". Haha! She had a good laugh out of that! She said "you made it look easy!"....! I mean, really? After the last months of pregnancy being no fun at all, I just couldn't believe it went so smoothly. It was seriously easier than my singleton deliveries. And my theory is this: it's easier to push 2 small babies out, than 1 large baby! :) Speaking of which, I had no tears or stitches, just a "skid mark" they called it... like a scrape that couldn't be stitched. And I was actually sitting normally on my perineal area within 2 days. With my other 2 I couldn't sit normally for at least a week.

Now with that being said, we didn't get away without any hiccups unfortunately. Once we left the OR I found I was gushing a lot of fluid and it turned out I was hemorhaging. They had to do a sort of D&C right there, which honestly was no big deal because I was still numb. The nurse just used her hand and literally scraped my uterus out of all the clots and clumps. I bled for a few more hours pretty well, but finally it tapered and I didn't have to get any special treatment. Also, we had our fair share of minor scares with the babies. Both babies had low blood sugar at birth. So they were sent to the nursery for IV fluids and such. I was sad because they weren't with me. Clara bounced back quicker than Benji and was back with me in a few hours. However Benji was in for most of day one. But by day 2, they were both perfect and no longer needed their sugars checked. In addition, Clara had a heart murmur on day 1, but by day 2 it had cleared. Then Clara went on to really scare me when she failed her hearing test. She wasn't responding AT ALL in one of her ears. This really worried me. But, AGAIN... by the grace of God, the next day, everything was OK! She passed with flying colors!

We were released on Wednesday, and everyone is doing super well! Clara, is just the teeniest little peanut (to me, remember my first 2 babies were 9 lbs 5 ozs and 8 lbs 8 ozs, and Benji was 7 lbs 7 ozs).... so at 6 lbs 4 ozs at birth, then 5 lbs 12 ozs at our first neonatal check up on Friday, she is just TINY. But she's a strong feisty little thing! She can hold her head up and roll half way over! Benji on the other had is a little chubber for a little guy and is totally laid back! They are being formula fed and are doing really well. I'm hoping to see some weight gain (esp from Clara) at tomorrow's pediatric appt. They are in sinc perfectly on a 3 hour schedule at this point. And although we are exhausted, really everything couldn't be go smoother.

As for me, I'm down 30 lbs already and my extremities are really swollen still. I had gained about 65 in total. So I'm hoping the weight will continue to trend downward in the coming weeks. I still look at least 6 months pregnant, but that's totally to be expected. My body is VERY sore still, my back, my hips, pelvis, legs.... etc....just feel like I've been through a war. But, it still feels better than being pregnant at the end! lol! Also, my GD is gone and my gestational hypertension is gone as well! yay!

And.... the best part of all.......baby spam! Could they look any more oposite??? LOL!

1 day old, hospital.jpg
1 day old, hospital.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

professional brand new black and white.jpg
professional brand new black and white.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

professional cord cutting.jpg
professional cord cutting.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Finally! Clara and Benjamin Birth Story and Spam!

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:58 pm

OMG! They are precious!! And yay for a vaginal delivery!!!!

After delivering Deacon and Finley I remember telling DH that was too easy! It was much easier than my singleton delivery. I'm hoping my next twin delivery is just as easy but I doubt I can get that lucky twice!

Congratulations on your beautiful babies!!!
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shelly+3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 am

Awww! So precious! I love the little arm up in the air in the B/W photo :D my munchkins are both doing that a lot when they stretch or something, so cute! So glad you had a quick, uncomplicated delivery after all you went through with the pregnancy!
Shelly+3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 am

They're beautiful! Congrats momma!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your story! Glad everyone is home and healthy. Love the pictures, they are precious!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Congrats Hazel! What an incredible birth story. Glad to hear that your babies are home and doing well. They are precious - and you're right, they look totally different!
Me: 30 :kiss: DH: 30
~Expecting babies #1 AND #2 in October 2013!~
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby kricket724 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Awww!! I love them! So sweet! So glad you had a great delivery! I had more swelling post delivery than I did while pregnant. It was awful, like pitting edema bad and then one day it was gone and I had lost another 8lbs from the fluid loss. I'm so glad they're both here safe and sound and you're all doing well! Yay!! Huge congratulations mama!! :D
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 pm

What a great birth story!! So glad it went well minus the post bumps in the road. I've been wondering how soon the backache etc goes away. Glad to have some insight on that
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JADE0199 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:35 am

Congratulations!! :balloons: They are gorgeous!!
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:34 am

Congratulations! They're beautiful babies! I also lost 30 lbs in the hospital, and once I got home and could weigh myself it was crazy - I would lose 8 lbs overnight because of the water weight I was shedding! I had gained 70 lbs at the end because of swelling. My babies were similar sizes to yours too. I still call my daughter little peanut even though she's twice as big as she was at birth. :)
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More