28 week update

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

28 week update

Postby Andrea19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi all, I wanted to give you an update since I had another growth scan today at 28+3.

The good stuff:
Both babies are doing really well and are both head down, side by side. They've both been head down since about 24 wks so I hope they stay that way! The girls measure more or less right where they should be and continue to measure tall and skinny - their femurs measure in the 50-60th percentile and their torsos measure in the 10-20th percentile. Baby A (on my right side) is estimate at 2 lbs 13 oz and Baby B (on my left) is estimated at 2 lbs 9 oz. Both vertical pockets are ~6 cm and blood flow through both umbilical cords is good. So far they are just about perfect!

The bad stuff:
I have hit a turning point. Over the past two weeks my level of comfort has changed dramatically. My body hurts every day and I'm really slowing down with my level of activity. I'm really struggling with SPD pain. Apparently having the twins side by side means they are pushing apart the two sides of my pelvis and the pain has gotten a lot worse as they get bigger. Two nights ago I rolled over in bed and my SP joint popped so loudly that it woke up my DH. It was super painful and I was afraid to move after that! My doctor recommended some exercises that are supposed to help relieve some of the pain, but so far I haven't noticed a difference. In addition, I had shingles two years ago in the nerve line along one of my thoracic vertebrae on my right side (T6, which runs from just under my right shoulder blade around my right side and along my ribs) and something is aggravating that nerve bundle again so I'm dealing with some serious nerve pain along my ribs on that side. Serious enough that I feel like I'm being stabbed. Of course when I cried about it to my doctor, he empathized but said there really isn't anything he can do and hoped that it would go away quickly after the babies are born.

Sorry for such a long update and thanks for letting me complain a bit. I'll keep you all posted on how things go.
Me: 30 :kiss: DH: 30
~Expecting babies #1 AND #2 in October 2013!~
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: 28 week update

Postby momto10plus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 pm

You should see a chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy. I went to one my last pregnancy and started going earlier on this time around. I had a pinched nerve which made it difficult to do anything and after seeing her its gone.
Around 28wks. with my twins it hurt to do anything but of course I was one to push myself. Try to put your feet up as much as possible. It seems like forever you'll be pregnant but it goes by quickly. I carried straight out and both babies were side by side as well. My baby a was head down the whole pregnancy until I started contracting at 34 wks. and decided he didn't want to be head down anymore. I had to deliver by csection. Hope the next few weeks goes by quickly for you. Sounds like they are growing very well. :)
~~Mom to 14 GREAT kids~~
Girl 11-18-92
Boy 2-20-95
Girl 5-29-97
Boy 3-11-99
Boy 12-04-01
Girl 10-07-03
Boy 8-03-05
Boy/ Girl(twins) 5-15-07 c-section
Girl 8-11-08 vbac #1
Boy 5-15-10 vbac #2
Girl 4-4-11 vbac #3
Boy 5-2-12 vbac #4
Girl 10-18-13 vbac #5
#15 due 12-17-15 (it's a GIRL)

momto10plus
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:35 am

Glad that the girls are doing well and so sorry about the other stuff :( I had the same problem with my pelvis, I had to use a cane for the last 2 months of my twin pregnancy and I couldn't get out of bed by myself since my hips would pop out of place. It was awful! and my baby a was standing on my pelvis and would kick it, that would hurt SO badly!

I am with momto10plus - I got a massage about the time the pain started a week before i delivered, made a HUGE difference. She was a chiropractors office, but it was chiropractic work per se. Definitely worth it
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyluv51 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:09 am

I remember around 28-30 weeks is when things started to get really hard physically. Whats weird is that I had shingles post parturm when ds2 was 3 months old but I had them on my facial nerve. ANyways, during this pregnancy I could swear I feel it coming back in my scalp like where I first felt it before but then it goes away.
Baby Gavin born 7-10-09
Baby Finley born 5-10-11
Me and DH 32 years old
babyluv51
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 am

28 weeks was some weird magic number when I felt like I hit a wall. Dr. Luke's book recommends all twin moms stop working at 28 weeks. I was 26 or 27 weeks when I read it and thought how soon that was and how crazy it seemed. Then 28 weeks came and things got DRAMATICALLY harder. I only made it to 33 weeks and those last 5 weeks were by far the hardest. My mom swears my body just gave up when I went into labor.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JJsBump » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am

Oh man I feel for you! My boys were positioned the same way THE ENTIRE TIME which left no relief for my pubic bone.

I was on "restricted activity" starting at 24 weeks and I think that was the only thing that helped my Aches (resting in my recliner!)

My pain did get better after delivery but my pubic bone still isn't right, it's still hard to squat down.
Me:(JJ) 33 DH:37
TTC#1 for 2.5 years
IVF#1: BFP but chemical
FET#1: BFN
IVF#2: BFP! TWINS!!
15w: 2 BOYS!!!!
4/10/13: We welcomed E & O @ 35 weeks!!
5/8/15: SURPRISE BFP !!!
Betas: 12dpo: 49, 14dpo: 102, 21dpo: 1749, 28dpo: 14,737
6/4/15: ONE baby with :hb: 134
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
JJsBump
Angel
Angel

Postby megan6912 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Okay I have to say I flippin love you girls!!!! On fb some of the twin moms are all like "I worked up until 40 weeks and then went out and ran a marathon, during the marathon I delivered my twins so I tied them to my back with their umbilical cords and finished my marathon and won a medal". Okay so not to that extreme but it seems like they all compete for who made it furthest at work in their twin pregnancy and laugh when someone is having a hard time. Thank you girls for keeping it real! My girls are also positioned side by side and are on something that is causing me to have very little strength in my legs. Kudos to all those mega moms that can run, skip, hop and fly the day before delivery but that's not me! This pregnancy is not easy! Forget flying, ill just be happy if I can get off the floor all on my own.
Megan (me)- 25
Jared (dh)-24
DS-1 born January 29, 2012 after 3 years of infertility

SURPRISE we are pregnant with an oops baby!!!!!!! YAY
Omg TWINS!!
megan6912
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 am

Yeah Megan sometimes I want to smack those moms. I had a client who was still running like 30 miles a week when she was 30+ weeks pregnant. I could barely move at 30 weeks.

And I'm SO not judging anyone here but sometimes I get pissed at women who think they're so great because they made it so far with a twin pregnancy. It's the luck of the draw whether you can make it to the end or not. And I'm not weak for only making it to 33 weeks (which is what they imply). I had no control over that. I went from uneventful (although uncomfortable) pregnancy at 32 weeks to pre-e and delivery by 33. There was nothing I could have done differently and just because they could run marathons at 40 weeks pregnant with twins doesn't make them better or worse than me.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for all your responses ladies! I have been seeing a chiropractor fairly regularly, but he's been focused mostly on my sacrum/pelvis and my neck. I think I'll talk to him about my other nerve pain and see if there's something he can do to help relieve that. I have an appointment next week Wednesday, so I'll let you know how that goes. I guess I'm realizing that I just need more help moving around!
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:26 pm

megan6912 wrote:"I worked up until 40 weeks and then went out and ran a marathon, during the marathon I delivered my twins so I tied them to my back with their umbilical cords and finished my marathon and won a medal"

OMG, I just DIED laughing. I did make it working until the day before I went into labor (at 34 weeks) however I was TOTALLY miserable and only did that because I didn't have enough time saved up for my 6 weeks post partum and didn't want to miss any time with the babies/healing. That being said, I could barely drive myself to work (had to sit sideways) and would pass out after eating meals, had to use a cane and all SORTS of fun things. LOL! I was a hot mess. It took me a year to get back to feeling semi-normal and I still have a skin flap that will never go away so pre-twin clothes will never fit. It is what is - some women make it look easy and others barely get through it. It's all worth it ;)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 am

Yeah I don't understand why some women make it a competition about how far you make it at work, with pregnancy, whatever. It's hard work no matter what and the most important thing is babies and mom are healthy. I'm a teacher and off for the summer and I'm super thankful that I don't have to work right now. I'll gladly be that woman to lose every "competition" out there!
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby meggola » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 pm

I made it to 37+3, which I never thought would happen, but I sure as heck wasn't running any marathons! I was pretty much stuck in bed all day at the end because my swelling was so bad I could barely walk and between that and how big my belly was I couldn't even sit in a regular chair anymore - just in bed propped up with pillows. Just getting in and out of bed was a chore and I hated that I had to get up to pee every half an hour! DH had to drive me around after I hit 30 weeks or so because I didn't feel safe driving a car - I couldn't maneuver myself enough to check my blind spots. It was ridiculous. I almost think that those marathon running women are making it up, kwim? I just can't imagine being in any way comfortable and physically active in the third trimester of a multiple pregnancy!
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah I'm trying to remind myself that I'm pretty lucky so far. Even though it's getting harder, I'm still able to move around and don't have to stay in bed (yet?). Some days are definitely better than others, so I'm just taking it one day at a time.

As an update, I went to the chiropractor this morning. He had my prioritize which areas I wanted pain relief because he said adjusting everything all at once could actually make things worse rather than better. So I picked the nerve pain along my ribs. He did some adjustments on my mid-back and it is already SO much better. He also did some "tissue work" to help my pelvic pain, which was really just a butt massage haha. I'm going back in a couple of weeks to hopefully stay on top of this pain.
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More