Frustrating doctors appointment

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Frustrating doctors appointment

Postby Andrea19 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 am

So I had my usual OB appointment this morning and my doctor wanted to discuss delivery. I was so thankful that my DH was with me this morning because part of our conversation really upset me. We talked about an induction dates, conditions for vaginally delivery, and reasons for c-sections. Most of it was fine and as I expected. However, he told me that he would do a c-section if EITHER baby is breech. This really surprised me because everything I've read and heard says that you can do a twin delivery vaginally as long as baby A is head down. I thought it was okay for baby B to be breech because either they just deliver the baby that way or try to flip it once baby A has been delivered. When I asked him about this, he gave me the "oh, it's very risky, the baby's head could get stuck, etc." I got really upset by this because it just sounds like he's not comfortable delivering breech babies and isn't even willing to consider it or give me the option. So now I'm upset and wondering if I should start looking for a new doctor. What do you ladies think?
Me: 30 :kiss: DH: 30
~Expecting babies #1 AND #2 in October 2013!~
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Frustrating doctors appointment

Postby fiver18 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm

So I just came from my doctors appointment and he told me that if Baby A's head is down that they will do a natural delivery even if Baby B is breach. But Baby B might move once it has room and baby A is out.

If you want to try natural delivery given the above scenario I personally would start looking for a doctor who is comfortable with this. Even if your doctor changed his mind about being okay he obviously isn't super comfortable with it. These are my first children but once piece of advice I've been given by multiple moms is to have a birth plan that you are comfortable with. In the end you might have to have a C-section (as my doc says its 50/50 with twins) but you want a doctor that is willing to listen to what you want as well as take your health into consideration. Giving birth is already stressful enough the last thing you need is your doctor making you upset.

Those are just my thoughts.
Me - Amber - 31
DH - Dustin - 30
TTC - 30 months
IVF Fresh 5 day Transfer - April 14, 2013
Beta 1 - 178 (8dp 5dt)
Beta 2 - 442 (10dp 5dt)
Beta 3 - 3083 (14dp 5dt)
U/S may 11 - twins!!!!
Baby a - 119 baby b - 116

http://fertileclimb.blogspot.ca/
fiver18

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 pm

My OB told me he would deliver vaginally as long as Baby A was head down and he would deliver Baby B breech. However if Baby A was breech he wouldn't be able to deliver vaginally due to hospital guidelines or whatever. My OB is awesome and is very comfortable with whatever deliver presents itself. He told me he would "Reach in and grab feet" if he had to. We did agree that if at any moment he felt like either baby was in danger he would do a c/s. If you aren't comfortable with your OB and the plan he has I'd look for a new one. You still have enough time. Ask around, maybe see if you can find a Multiples group in your area that can suggest an OB that is experienced with multiples.
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Yes, mine also said the same... vag delivery if baby a head down and baby b breach... same as OPs said, he would reach in and rotate if needed, and worst case, deliver the second via c-section if a problem developed. This is why they do all twin vag deliveries in the OR. I don't know what type of doc you see, but I saw a high risk perinatologist who has done tons of mult births so was totally comfortable with this. Perhaps this is the type of doc you need if you don't already have one? All the best to you!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:48 am

My OB also would have delivered vaginally as long as baby A was head down. BUT not all doctors are comfortable doing that and if your OB isn't, then you certainly don't want him to attempt it. There are some OBs who won't deliver vaginally unless both babies are head down.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the responses ladies. I totally understand that if my doctor is not comfortable with breech deliveries, then it's not a good idea for him to try. However, I want every opportunity to deliver vaginally (remember, I'm coming from wanting a homebirth and not wanting a hospital birth at all) and I don't want my doctor's experience/comfort level to be a limiting factor. I want that doctor who is comfortable with either trying to turn a breech baby or doing a breech extraction, just in case. So I ended up posting on the discussion board for a local parents of multiples group and got a lot of good recommendations. I made an appointment with a different doctor based on those recommendations for Tuesday - I was shocked they could get me in so quickly! I'll keep you all posted.
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby megan6912 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Modis are different. Most doctors like to see both head down. Sorry I can't write more, I'm drugged up and can't write to save my life.
Megan (me)- 25
Jared (dh)-24
DS-1 born January 29, 2012 after 3 years of infertility

SURPRISE we are pregnant with an oops baby!!!!!!! YAY
Omg TWINS!!
megan6912
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lita74 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:06 pm

That's great you were able to get an app't with a dif doc! It is def possible. My baby A was head down, and B transverse. B ended up flipping breech during my vag delivery...and the dr. pulled him out feet first. No tearing or anything. Just depends on the comfort level of the dr. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lita74
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ritzy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 pm

My doctor was like yours. He would only do it if both were head down. He told me it could be done, if baby B is breech and many doctors do but that in his experience he has seen more instances were they end up delivering one vaginally and the other C section. I DID NOT want to risk the double wammy.....I was soooooo sad, I too wanted a natural vaginal birth I mean more than anything.... Both of mine were breech so I ended up a needing a c section anyway. I LOVED my doctor. I didn't want to leave him. That man was truly the person responsible for my sanity in early pregnancy- he did whatever it took to keep me from freaking out. I guess in the end I decided that being under his care was more important to me than how my babies came into the world. They did an ultrasound right before my c section to see if they had turned (they didn't). I think that maybe if Baby A had and if Baby B was still breech he may have tried it....to be honest, in the end, I just wanted them here the safest way possible. I hope you love the new doctor AND you get your vaginal birth.....
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:54 am

Every doc has their own preferences, it's just what they are comfortable with. Some Docs don't mind delivering breach babies, some do. You can't fault them for working within their comfort zone. What you CAN do is find a doc who works within your comfort zone. If it's important to you, switch docs. ;)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby megan6912 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:39 am

GreekMythFreak wrote:Every doc has their own preferences, it's just what they are comfortable with. Some Docs don't mind delivering breach babies, some do. You can't fault them for working within their comfort zone. What you CAN do is find a doc who works within your comfort zone. If it's important to you, switch docs. ;)

I think I love you for saying this!!!!!!! It's not always the doctors fault. I wanted s vbav and my doctor did he wasn't comfortable with it but would do it. I told him that I want my babies here safe and I want him to deliver the easy he feels most comfortable cause I know I could always switch doctors if s vbac is that important. I do get Vbac mow that I'm almost fully effaced and dialated 4cm, not as patients sometimes being our ownadvocates means finding s doctor that is the perfect fit and not trying to mold our doctors into the kind of doctor we want. Switch if you need to find s better fit for you. :)
Megan (me)- 25
Jared (dh)-24
DS-1 born January 29, 2012 after 3 years of infertility

SURPRISE we are pregnant with an oops baby!!!!!!! YAY
Omg TWINS!!
megan6912
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meggola » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:11 pm

GreekMythFreak wrote:Every doc has their own preferences, it's just what they are comfortable with. Some Docs don't mind delivering breach babies, some do. You can't fault them for working within their comfort zone. What you CAN do is find a doc who works within your comfort zone. If it's important to you, switch docs. ;)

^I agree! My twins were born via c-section because my son, baby B was breech - and also measuring 2 1/2 weeks ahead, so he had a big head and my OBs practice's policy was to not attempt vaginal delivery when one twin is breech. I asked the MFM about it when I saw him and he agreed with my OB about doing a C-section, and gave the same reasons your OB gave you - the baby could get stuck, cut off from blood and oxygen, etc. You need to be comfortable with your doc and the choices he or she is making.
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kricket724 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 am

Another thing most doctors won't tell you unless you ask is that they aren't TRAINED anymore to do breech extraction. I had my twins vaginally and B was a footling breech. Like you, I wanted a natural a birth as possible (my youngest was a water birth) and did not want a c/s if it could be avoided. One thing I did though was stay open to the idea of having a c/s because with twins, you just never know until D-day. I was discussing a possible c/s with my doctor up until actual delivery. In fact, I had never met the OB that delivered me before I had them. But I knew everyone in the practice was trained to do breech extraction and let him know I didn't want a c/s unless it was an emergency. I would look for a new OB if you haven't already. I'm sooo glad I switched and had the delivery I wanted.
Kristen
Me - 31
DH - 33
DS #1 - 10
DS #2 - 4
DD #1 & DD #2 - Born on the 4th of July!
Twin Angels 2008 :angel: :angel:

TTC#3 since 2010
IVF #1 - Oct/Nov 2012 - :bfp:

kricket724
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Andrea19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks for all the input, ladies!

My DH and I talked about this a lot. We know that many doctors are no longer trained in breech deliveries or are not comfortable doing it even if they have some training. We also know that some much could happen or change during labor and delivery that we need to be okay with any possible mode of delivery. We want our babies to be safe and healthy! However, I really really really want to try everything possible to have these babies vaginally, and so we decided that a doctor that said no to breech extractions was not a good fit for me.

So I did some calling around and talking to other twin moms and found this amazing OB that has been delivering twins for 20+ years and is totally okay with doing a breech extraction for baby B if necessary. I actually feel more comfortable with him overall, so I'm super glad I made the switch even if it is pretty late. I got put on weekly appointments with him right away, so we'll get to know each other pretty quickly!
Andrea19
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby GreekMythFreak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 am

Andrea19 wrote:...so we decided that a doctor that said no to breech extractions was not a good fit for me.

So I did some calling around and talking to other twin moms and found this amazing OB that has been delivering twins for 20+ years and is totally okay with doing a breech extraction for baby B if necessary. I actually feel more comfortable with him overall, so I'm super glad I made the switch even if it is pretty late. I got put on weekly appointments with him right away, so we'll get to know each other pretty quickly!

That's AWESOME! I so glad for you, that peace of mind really makes a pregnancy tolerable ;) I switched with my DS1 at 26 weeks, so it's never too late! I am glad found a doc that's a right fit for you and I am MORE glad that overall you are okay with whatever will happen. That makes a HUGE difference with twins. You can't be set in mind on ANYTHING, even after they arrive! Twins are always throwing you for a loop ;)
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More