Confused about folic acid dose

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Confused about folic acid dose

Postby Jasmine1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:16 am

How much are you taking in the 1st trimester with twins? (I'm carrying at least twins)

One of my drs said 400mcg is enough, the other say 5mg...that's whole lot of a difference! (400mcg=0.4mg!) For carrying twins it'd be the same.

From what I've been reading, it seems that pregnant women should take more than 400mcg....which is around 600-800mcg, no more than 1000mcg unless the dr advises. It's the same with twins.

Anyone can help here? :?

PS. I'm not taking prenatals because dr says it's unnecessary at this time of pregnancy.
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Image
User avatar
Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby buggie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:38 am

My doc put me on a prescription prenatal with DHA right at the start of my pg. I don't know why your doctor would say no prenatals, but I'm not a doctor so... anyway, I was on CitraNatal DHA which is 1mg of folic acid. My doc said he wanted more than the usual 800mcg (what my non-Rx prenatal had) since I was having twins.

Have you had an ultrasound yet? It's possible to have a singleton despite a high beta. And congrats!!!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
Image
User avatar
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:17 am

My OB suggested I take extra folic acid but didn't tell me how much. It's in my prenatals so I haven't started taking any more. I didn't take more than what was in my prenatals last time either.

Congrats on the twins!
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby Jasmine1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi,

My dr said no prenatals because it's still early. She thinks my babies are so tiny I don't need extra...

I did have an ultrasound at 6 wks. Saw three sacs and two heartbeats. The other no heartbeat yet.

There're so many different opinions on the dose it's really frustrating. I'm planning to take 5mg as my RE told me to but that seems an awful lot. :roll:

buggie wrote:My doc put me on a prescription prenatal with DHA right at the start of my pg. I don't know why your doctor would say no prenatals, but I'm not a doctor so... anyway, I was on CitraNatal DHA which is 1mg of folic acid. My doc said he wanted more than the usual 800mcg (what my non-Rx prenatal had) since I was having twins.

Have you had an ultrasound yet? It's possible to have a singleton despite a high beta. And congrats!!!
Last edited by Jasmine1 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Image
User avatar
Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby Jasmine1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks... So I assume it's about 800mcg in the prenatals usually...

Wow it's hard to imagine carrying twins more than once! I don't have much confidence in carrying twins...esp. that I'm already 40 and have had two m/cs. :( And they always tell you how complicated it is to carry twins...Is it really that bad? :?

MommyToOne+2 wrote:My OB suggested I take extra folic acid but didn't tell me how much. It's in my prenatals so I haven't started taking any more. I didn't take more than what was in my prenatals last time either.

Congrats on the twins!
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Image
User avatar
Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby buggie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:12 am

Yeah 5mg is a lot! Maybe just call to confirm that's what they wanted? My store brand prenatals are 800mcg and my Rx was 1mg, just for reference.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
Image
User avatar
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby meggola » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:28 pm

I took prenatals once we started TTC, all the way through pregnancy and while I was BF. My OB then prescribed extra folic acid on top of that while I was pregnant because I had twins. I just checked and it was an extra 1mg per day, plus whatever was in the prenatals.
Me (Meg)-36, DH-33
TTC #1 since Nov. 09
:angel: 8/2010 @ 6w 1d (ectopic- natural BFP)
:angel: 3/2012 (chemical - IVF)

Our IVF/FET miracles born March 24, 2013 at 37w3d!

Image
User avatar
meggola
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 am
Location: PA

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby Jasmine1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 am

I remember my Re saying you need to take in much much more than 5mg to be overdosed, and whatever you don't need you'd just pee it out. But to me, any extra would just add more stress to my body...

Thanks for your info. I read some posts on babycenter and the ladies seem to be getting 5mg too...hmm....

buggie wrote:Yeah 5mg is a lot! Maybe just call to confirm that's what they wanted? My store brand prenatals are 800mcg and my Rx was 1mg, just for reference.
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Image
User avatar
Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby Jasmine1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 am

Thanks...hmm...it seems that a total of 1800mcg would be enough.

meggola wrote:I took prenatals once we started TTC, all the way through pregnancy and while I was BF. My OB then prescribed extra folic acid on top of that while I was pregnant because I had twins. I just checked and it was an extra 1mg per day, plus whatever was in the prenatals.
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Image
User avatar
Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby ritzy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I took Naturally Smart Prenatal vitamins, DHA and Folate plus. I started all that before IVF. I took a heck of a lot of Folic Acid...I mean a ton. I'm trying to find out how much total it was, but I'm fairly certain it was over 5mg. However, I have an autoimmune disorder that won't allow my body to absorb folic acid the right way so I needed to be on a ton. I would do what your RE suggests. For me, the folic acid played a HUGE role in my pregnancy. Without it, my kiddos might not have even been here let alone as healthy as they are today!
Michelle 40 DH 39
DD1 6/18/03
MC:12/4/09 We will always love you baby girl!
Twin DD & DS 3/21/11- Our IVF Miracles!
M/C 5/3/12 Always in our hearts....

Image

Image
ritzy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Confused about folic acid dose

Postby Jasmine1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks. I'm now taking 5mg, just to be safe.

ritzy wrote:I took Naturally Smart Prenatal vitamins, DHA and Folate plus. I started all that before IVF. I took a heck of a lot of Folic Acid...I mean a ton. I'm trying to find out how much total it was, but I'm fairly certain it was over 5mg. However, I have an autoimmune disorder that won't allow my body to absorb folic acid the right way so I needed to be on a ton. I would do what your RE suggests. For me, the folic acid played a HUGE role in my pregnancy. Without it, my kiddos might not have even been here let alone as healthy as they are today!
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Image
User avatar
Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am


Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More