Toddlers!!

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Toddlers!!

Postby buggie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:09 am

OH MY GOD. I'm about to concede and just let the boys win. Between the climbing every piece of furniture we own and getting into everything and the inability to really communicate yet (a few words each, not enough to head off a tantrum) and the general crapness of meal time, I'm going insane.

I was just sitting at my desk trying to do something and I had one of them on either side of me screaming in my ear because they wanted me to stick their two blocks together. So I did for each of them. Then they each pulled them apart and screamed and cried and shoved the blocks at me to fix again. Repeat like 20 times until I took the darn things away. I had to put them in their cribs so they could calm down (or so I could calm down, lol).

I think two toddlers are more difficult than two newborns were!!!! They scream just as much but it's louder and more awful, plus they climb, have attitudes, bite, etc etc. At least they sleep for like 11 hours at night now.

Ok, rant over. I love them. They're adorable, but omg, they are taking over and winning.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Toddlers!!

Postby MommaMac » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I can sympathize! I don't have twins but from sept 2010 to dec 2012 I took care of my son and my nephew (who is 5 weeks older) - so from the age of 1 to amost 3.5 yrs I had two toddler boys with vastly different personalities. Name any character trait, habit, interest, you name it, opposite - even their tv shows were starting to change.

There was only a small age difference, but honestly, it was still a challenge. One was crawling before the other, the other ate way better, one was more compliant but VERY needy and clingy while the other was stubborn as hell and 'too' independent. Every day was a new challenge, and there were times that I wanted to murder one, the other or both!

My day went from 7am to 5pm......it was a long day, but I have nothing but respect for you full time twin mommies.
ME - 30
DH - 30
DS#1 - Sept 16, 2009
DS#2 - Jan 12, 2014

MommaMac
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MommaMac » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:54 pm

PS - I love your picture!
MommaMac
Star Member
Star Member

Postby buggie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Haha, yup, it's a looooong day from 7am to 8pm usually. No real family or friends nearby to help out sucks! Thankfully we hope to move close to our family and friends next year.

And you're so right about every day is a new challenge. I swear they each grew an inch last night because it was like they woke up this morning and could suddenly reach things they couldn't yesterday! Our living room won't have anything lower than like 4 feet off the ground soon :D
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommyToOne+2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:39 pm

In my house the toddlers always win. If they aren't hurting themselves or each other then it's fair game! lol
Me - 29 DH - 31 DS - 9 (Concieved Naturally) DS2/DD -Almost 2 years!
TTC #2 for 72 months
IVF #1 - Sept 10 - m/c @ 11wks - blighted ovum
FET #1 - Mar 11/11 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS!!!
10/15/11 - Deacon 5lbs 1 oz, Finley 5lbs 10 oz - Vaginal Delivery
Breastfed for 16 months!!!
FET#2 - June 11/13 - BFP!!
U/S 5w3d - TWINS AGAIN!!!
2/8/14 - Piper 6lbs, Harvey 6lbs - Vaginal Delivery
MommyToOne+2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I consider the day a success if we make it until after their second nap before needing Sesame Street. All that "my kids won't watch tv until after they're 2 blah blah doctor said blah" went right out the window!!!

I think the horrible part right now, at least with meals, is that I can't win. I cave once in a while and say I'll just give them a meal full of foods they like so we can all have a break. Then suddenly they don't like all their favorites and scream about it anyway!!! And I'm sitting there sobbing "But you ate a whole bowl of this soup yesterday and LOVED it..."

Oh parenting... 8)
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaMac » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am

Lunch time always presented a challenge - when they were younger I just stuck them in their chairs and what I gave them they would eventually eat. As they got older, my nephew would sit and sit without complaining at the table but would barely eat anything because he was so bloody picky - but my son would eat almost anything I gave him but would refuse to sit at the table.

I think the saddest day was when my son and NOT my nephew decided nap time was for suckers. I used to get 2 hrs un interrupted in the afternoon. Then because I needed my son to not by psychotic while my nephew napped, I lost the the tv to Elmo and Backyardigans....and he had to watch tv for 2 + hrs...doh

My nephew was the chicken and my son the daredevil so whatever he tried, my nephew followed, but was to afraid to follow through with everything he did so always ended up hurting himself and crying for AGES. My son has split his eyelid open and needed it glued shut twice and barely cried either time - he's insane.

They were two little people, polar opposites yet because they were both fair skinned, blue eyed and blonde, people thought my 'twins' were beautiful. I got tired of explaining that they' weren't so I just said thank you. I remember this poor woman I met in the line at Walmart who asked me how far apart they were, I said 5 weeks and she almost had a heart attack - she was a nurse and was asking how far apart they were at birth. I had to calm her down, and explain they weren't both mine ;)
ME - 30
DH - 30
DS#1 - Sept 16, 2009
DS#2 - Jan 12, 2014

MommaMac
Star Member
Star Member

Postby buggie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:22 pm

One of the things I'm always having to remind myself is that even though they're twins, they are two different people who aren't going to want to eat or do the same things at the same time. And that is hilarious about the nurse asking how far apart they are! Can you imagine twins 5 weeks apart? lol Though I have heard of one being born premature and being able to stop labor on the second. Crazy.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mritnire » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 pm

must be boys :roll: My DS was the same and I swear he was soooo much harder then the girls.

Or it could just be my girls are making up for their early life and all the grays they gave me then :wink: But if you could tell me how to get Avery to stop biting her older sister & brother I'd love you forever! She is the more verbal of the two but her voice often gets lost with her louder twin and brother. Just earlier this week I asked Gwen why she was crying and Avery said "this time I bit her!"

Other then biting, the girls are great, fight over toys but I can almost always redirect them. Never could for their brother.

It does get easier though.
Me(Erin): 29 DH: 30 DS:5
Blog: http://hitachiin1.blogspot.ca/

TTC#2 from Sep 2009

BFP July 24, 2011
EDD April 2, 2012
Gwen & Avery Born at 25 weeks 2 days - Dec 21, 2011

mritnire
Angel
Angel

Postby buggie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:29 am

Ugh, biting, yeah Emmett is a biter. But he's only bitten Beckett, never me or my husband. And it only happens when Beckett is up in his space and really bothering him. No idea how to stop it, everyone says it's just a phase.

When it happens I pick up Beckett and comfort him right away, reassure him that he didn't do anything wrong. Then I tell Emmett no biting and biting hurts Beckett and he loves Beckett and should not hurt him. Then I usually put him in time out for a minute and cuddle Beckett. Thankfully the biting has slowed down a lot in the last few weeks.

Emmett is just a really emotional kid. If he's angry, he is 100% livid and pissed. If he's happy, he's laughing and screaming in excitement. Takes after me, I feel like biting (or really screaming) at people all the time but thankfully I am an adult and can stop myself :) But I know that out of control emotion feeling well.

Your girls definitely owe you some down time!!!! That's so funny that your one son was more difficult than twin girls, lol . I just tell myself boys are harder now but when they're teenagers they'll be easier than girls.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:41 pm

HUGS mama. This stage passes, I promise. Each new stage has it's own struggles, but it's going to get better :) HUGS!

Does your hubby ever give you a night off or anything, or do you get a sitter and go out together? It's a necessity!

PS- LOVE your siggy pic, LOL!
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaMac » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 am

My nephew was a HUGE bitter, there were two times in specific: my son had a perfect purple/blue teeth ring, like complete dental impression on his cheek and once on his calf....both times because my son took something he either wanted/had. Much like you, I just made sure that my nephew saw my son getting cuddles and hugs while he sat in time out. I talked to him about how we don't bite our friends and my ds is his special friend. Sometimes, the best (and only!) way i could go in this case "Tristan (nephew) biting isn't nice, have you seen how sad it makes Ethan (ds)? Would you like it if he bit you?" I think sometimes they forget that what they do to someone, they can inevitably turn around and do it back.

It was a phase, lasted a month max, and was something that my son never did. In fact, now that I think about it my nephew was a bitter, hitter and pusher, all at some point and my son never did much of any of it. Now they are both four and don't really need to do much else other then get mouthy and talk back 8O
ME - 30
DH - 30
DS#1 - Sept 16, 2009
DS#2 - Jan 12, 2014

MommaMac
Star Member
Star Member

Postby buggie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Unfortunately all of our friends and family live far away, we're kind of isolated here. So we don't really get a break. And my husband doesn't get home from work until 8pm so the boys go to bed right after that. My break is grocery shopping and any weekend errands we come up with! When we were visiting family in June we did get to go to a movie together, without the boys! That was the last time :)

Anyway, I'm feeling better now. We just had a bad few days there!! Thanks for the encouragement.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bakermommy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Glad to hear things are better. We definitely go through phases. Some nights/weekends are great and others they can't fall asleep fast enough. I feel defeated most days, but it really is just such a challenge. And like pp mentioned I have the polar opposite twins. THey play great together but one is constantly in trouble for hitting or pushing..... The other has actually started to retaliate. And most dinners are the same where they suddenly don't like things. For me I try not to concern myself with the dinner part. IF they don't eat what is fixed then I assume they aren't hungry (if it's something I know they like) and they just don't eat. They will learn one day. (I promise they don't starve ;) Right now our biggest battle is night time with toddler beds. The ornery one won't stay out of the others bed. HE wants to be next to him which is cute and all but he won't keep his hands off of him. Or they will just crack up laughing and stay up way too long. They both have internal clocks set for 5am so they need to go to sleep. It is usually abuot an hour long struggle EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT! IT is exhausting. Hang in there momma and actually thanks for the vent. It helps me know I"m not such a crazy mean momma. I'm just dealing with the challenges of toddlers :)
4/2009 :angel2:
IVF#1 BFP 10-23-10
Beckham Cale 5lbs 6 oz 6/17/11
Brody Kingston 6 lbs 2 oz 6/17/11
BFP#3 5-4-12
6-5-12 :hb: 157
6-26-12 :hb: 160
7-25-12 :hb: 144
8-6-12 It's a boy
1/5/13 Bray Isaiah 8 lbs 5 oz
BFP#4 7/29/14
Beta # 1 7/30/14 (15)
Beta #2 8/1/14 (66) Progesterone 26
9/10/14 :hb: 166
10/8/14 :hb: 156
11/10/14 It's a Princess!!
3/27/15 Brooklyn Grace 7lbs 13 oz 19 in
bakermommy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby buggie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Ohh toddler beds! I am dreading that day. Thankfully my guys haven't tried to climb out of their cribs yet, even though they climb everything else. I'm blessed with good sleepers, so they don't really fight bed time, they just lay down and go to sleep most nights. But yeah, I like having them contained to a bed they can't get out of!!! Kids are crazy.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More