Pregnant with triplets, dilemma of fetal reduction

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: Pregnant with triplets, dilemma of fetal reduction

Postby buggie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:43 am

If you mean you want to ask if the babies could get cut when you're having your c-section, I would assume the doctors have had that question a million times and wouldn't be offended at all. I'm sure it is possible, but highly highly unlikely.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mritnire » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:21 pm

My cousin's singleton got cut on her bum during the c-section so its possible, just doesn't happen often. It was an emergency one and they couldn't get the baby repositioned to avoid getting her in the tush, better then the alternative
Me(Erin): 29 DH: 30 DS:5
Blog: http://hitachiin1.blogspot.ca/

TTC#2 from Sep 2009

BFP July 24, 2011
EDD April 2, 2012
Gwen & Avery Born at 25 weeks 2 days - Dec 21, 2011

mritnire
Angel
Angel

Postby babydust2me » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 am

The babies can't hurt each other in utero because they're in their own amniotic sacs (except for the rare cases when they're not). Although positioning does make a difference. Morgan had Reagan so squished in utero that Reagan was born with a big dent in her forehead and torticollis.

As for the doctors hurting a baby during a section, I'm sure it happens, but as long as the doctor who is performing your surgery has delivered multiples before, I'm sure your babies will be fine.

buggie wrote:
Jasmine1 wrote:sometimes I'd imagine myself having a singleton; how much more convenient it would be to take care of, how much less we would have to spend, how much more freedom we would have etc.

I think this is just part of being a parent of multiples. I feel this way sometimes when I take the boys to their gym class. All the singletons of sitting nicely in mom's lap, and my two guys are running all over being maniacs because I can't hold 'em down at the same time like the singleton moms! And the madness of getting their shoes on and coats etc afterwards, while the singleton mom's all just pop on the kid's shoes and go. Meanwhile, I am putting B's shoes on and E is off playing with a fire extinguisher! lol

But seeing seeing the multiple bond and getting to experience such a unique situation is totally worth it!! Even if 1 baby would be so god damn easy sometimes.

I often glare at singleton moms in public and think to myself "You don't know how easy you have it!" Especially when my 2 are both whining and clinging and wanting to be held. Or they're hellions running around in 2 different directions like Robyn's boys. Or you're trying to dress one and the other is hanging off of you, or worse, is somewhere you can't see and is being suspiciously quiet.

It is amazing being a mom to multiples though. I love to watch my girls interact and play with each other. Most of the time they actually share pretty well and will hug and kiss each other for no reason. It's stinking adorable. And honestly a lot of times I'm glad I have 2 at once. I'm done with the newborn thing and I don't have to do it again! And now in toddler hell, once they're done with this, I don't have another kid coming behind them to go through it again.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tdarrow » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:51 am

Jasmine,

Just checking in with you to see how you and those sweet babies are doing? I hope and pray everything is going good. Keep us posted if and when you can. Prayers upon prayers as always!! God Bless!!
ME: DOB 8-1-77 DH: DOB 3-7-79
DS#1: DOB 11-10-04 BF'd for 7months
DS#2: DOB 12-26-12 BF'd for a lil over 13 months :-)
DS#3: DOB 5-31-16 currently on our Bf'ding journey
tdarrow
Angel
Angel

Postby Jasmine1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:09 pm

tdarrow wrote:I too had wondered about that if when you are carrying multiples if they could hurt each other while they are all jumbled up together. The wonderful moms of multiples on this forum will proabbly have some words of advice on that. :-) I have no clue but I have never heard of any babies being hurt by their syblings in the womb. It is usually afterwards when they are out and about fighting over a toy or mommies attention that they hurt each other. :-) It doesn't matter what the doctors think of your questions. If you have concerns, you ask about them. If you don't you'll just worry and stress yourself out. My doctor always told me there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to your body and pregnancy. So ask away, if they give you grief just let it roll off your back. Your peace of mind is worth way more than the doctors thinking that you do not trust them. You are new to this multiple pregnancy situation and hopefully they will be encouraging and compassionate. I pray that they are. Either way you'll get an answer. But I think that those sweeties are doing just fine. :-)If I were you I would probably ask to have a private room so you could get some much needed peace and quiet. Even if it is only for a few days. But that is just me. One of my good friends here at work is pregnant with her 4th child. She is just past 37 weeks. She looks great but when I saw her yesterday she said that she was itching all over. Her doctor told her that the horomones are giving her a run for her money. By the grace of God :-) I only had an itchy belly. I can't imagine what it would be like to itch all over. I know that is aggravating and very uncomfortable. Maybe try an oatmeal based body wash and lotion. That might help. Either way you are in the home stretch. You are doing GREAT!!!! Prayers as always for you and your family!!!! God Bless!!

I got a scan at 34w2 and did ask them finally. One of them said the babies' got amniotic fluid, so don't worry.

Babies' weights were 1.9, 2.1 and 2.2kg...so more than 4lbs or almost 5lbs. :D
Drs were satisfied with the numbers. They have scheduled a c-section 35w3. So I will greet my little ones soon! I'm a bit anxious about the surgery....hope there won't be any complications with either of the babies.

My dr told me the private room is for "special patients", like those who might need lots of medication and therefore it could smell and it's not recommended for normal patients. So I'd rather stay where I am....anyway it won't be long until I get outta this room....
Officially started TTC Mar 07
Our sweet baby in God's arms--D&C 10w4d, Sep 07

IVF #1 (ICSI): Jun 2012 9w3d baby no more heartbeat
IVF #2 (ICSI): Jan 2013 Chemical
IVF #3 May 2013 Poor response after 5 days stim, cancelled cycle!
IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Jasmine1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 pm

mritnire wrote:My cousin's singleton got cut on her bum during the c-section so its possible, just doesn't happen often. It was an emergency one and they couldn't get the baby repositioned to avoid getting her in the tush, better then the alternative

Oh no! So it COULD happen! 8O

IVF #4 (ICSI): Aug 2013 BETA(15 DPO) 1041 Triplets!! God please let this be it!!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Jasmine1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:19 pm

babydust2me wrote:The babies can't hurt each other in utero because they're in their own amniotic sacs (except for the rare cases when they're not). Although positioning does make a difference. Morgan had Reagan so squished in utero that Reagan was born with a big dent in her forehead and torticollis.

As for the doctors hurting a baby during a section, I'm sure it happens, but as long as the doctor who is performing your surgery has delivered multiples before, I'm sure your babies will be fine.

buggie wrote:
Jasmine1 wrote:sometimes I'd imagine myself having a singleton; how much more convenient it would be to take care of, how much less we would have to spend, how much more freedom we would have etc.

I could only pray that no accidents happen during the surgery.... My dr has told me before, we have lots of twins being delivered here, you only have one more....

I like looking at your girls' photo. They look like they're enjoying each other's company. Very sweet. :)

I think this is just part of being a parent of multiples. I feel this way sometimes when I take the boys to their gym class. All the singletons of sitting nicely in mom's lap, and my two guys are running all over being maniacs because I can't hold 'em down at the same time like the singleton moms! And the madness of getting their shoes on and coats etc afterwards, while the singleton mom's all just pop on the kid's shoes and go. Meanwhile, I am putting B's shoes on and E is off playing with a fire extinguisher! lol

But seeing seeing the multiple bond and getting to experience such a unique situation is totally worth it!! Even if 1 baby would be so god damn easy sometimes.

I often glare at singleton moms in public and think to myself "You don't know how easy you have it!" Especially when my 2 are both whining and clinging and wanting to be held. Or they're hellions running around in 2 different directions like Robyn's boys. Or you're trying to dress one and the other is hanging off of you, or worse, is somewhere you can't see and is being suspiciously quiet.

It is amazing being a mom to multiples though. I love to watch my girls interact and play with each other. Most of the time they actually share pretty well and will hug and kiss each other for no reason. It's stinking adorable. And honestly a lot of times I'm glad I have 2 at once. I'm done with the newborn thing and I don't have to do it again! And now in toddler hell, once they're done with this, I don't have another kid coming behind them to go through it again.

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby tdarrow » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:15 am

Look at you girl!!!!! You passed the 35 week mark. AWESOME!!!! So happy for you and those babies. So only a couple more days. YAY!!! I had a csection with both my boys and things went fine. I had no problems. Not sure how things vary with a multiples csection but you will ge ok. Just focus on the overall outcome. If I ever have anymore children another csection it will be for me. Those are really good weights. So, happy that things are going good. I know you are ready to see their sweet faces. You are almost there. You have done so well. I'm so happy for you and excited. Keep us posted if you can and want to. I'll be checking this thread frequently for any updates on you. But know I'm saying some extra long winded prayers for you and your babies over the next several days. :-) God Bless!!
tdarrow
Angel
Angel

Postby babydust2me » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:05 am

Only a couple more days left! Way to go! And great weights!

My section with my girls was pretty routine. They brought me into the OR, the anesthesiologist told me what he was going to do, they gave me a spinal (which was a HUGE relief because I was having active labor contractions at the time and they hurt like HELL). Then they put in my catheter and prepped me for surgery. Once they had the curtain up, they brought in DH and my sister. There were a LOT of people in the room and there will likely be even more for you with 3. It's a very weird sensation being able to feel things moving around on the other side of the curtain but you definitely can't feel any pain. Both of my girls cried when they were pulled out which was awesome. Even though mine were preemies and had to be whisked off to the NICU fairly quickly, I was still able to see them and sort of hold them. I say sort of because I couldn't really sit up or use both arms but the nurses put them near me so I could see them. Now, my situation sucked because after I came out of recovery from my surgery, I had to be hooked to a mag drip because of my BP and it was over 24 hours before I could go visit my 2 in the NICU.

Oh and one more tip - you have to ask for your pain meds when you need them, they don't automatically bring them so keep that in mind. Stay on top of your meds the first few days because you will need them. And don't be afraid to ask for help from a lactation consultant if you're planning on breastfeeding. Good luck!
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 am

You don't necessarily have to ask for pain meds, I had a morphine drip! Just push that button and get some relief!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dun2859 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your delivery. I've been following your story, but don't post much. It is great that you have made it this far with triplets!! What an accomplishment!!! Can't wait to see some pics of your trio! :D :D :D
IVF April 2009 Angel 8w4d IVF July 2010 - Twins born March 9, 2011 - Brinley Noelle and Casey Adam Jr.
dun2859
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Jasmine1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:30 am

tdarrow wrote:Look at you girl!!!!! You passed the 35 week mark. AWESOME!!!! So happy for you and those babies. So only a couple more days. YAY!!! I had a csection with both my boys and things went fine. I had no problems. Not sure how things vary with a multiples csection but you will ge ok. Just focus on the overall outcome. If I ever have anymore children another csection it will be for me. Those are really good weights. So, happy that things are going good. I know you are ready to see their sweet faces. You are almost there. You have done so well. I'm so happy for you and excited. Keep us posted if you can and want to. I'll be checking this thread frequently for any updates on you. But know I'm saying some extra long winded prayers for you and your babies over the next several days. :-) God Bless!!

Yes thank God for everything! I can't believe I hit the 35 weeks mark! I had thought of 34 and anything beyond that is a bonus.

Sure need your strong prayers! My dr scared me again this morning saying that because my uterus is really stretched up I may lose a lot of blood and if nothing could control the situation I would need to give up my uterus! 8O So as if there aren't enough worries for me....

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Jasmine1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 am

babydust2me wrote:Only a couple more days left! Way to go! And great weights!

My section with my girls was pretty routine. They brought me into the OR, the anesthesiologist told me what he was going to do, they gave me a spinal (which was a HUGE relief because I was having active labor contractions at the time and they hurt like HELL). Then they put in my catheter and prepped me for surgery. Once they had the curtain up, they brought in DH and my sister. There were a LOT of people in the room and there will likely be even more for you with 3. It's a very weird sensation being able to feel things moving around on the other side of the curtain but you definitely can't feel any pain. Both of my girls cried when they were pulled out which was awesome. Even though mine were preemies and had to be whisked off to the NICU fairly quickly, I was still able to see them and sort of hold them. I say sort of because I couldn't really sit up or use both arms but the nurses put them near me so I could see them. Now, my situation sucked because after I came out of recovery from my surgery, I had to be hooked to a mag drip because of my BP and it was over 24 hours before I could go visit my 2 in the NICU.

Oh and one more tip - you have to ask for your pain meds when you need them, they don't automatically bring them so keep that in mind. Stay on top of your meds the first few days because you will need them. And don't be afraid to ask for help from a lactation consultant if you're planning on breastfeeding. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was also told that I wouldn't be able to get out of bed until after 24 hrs, so I probably won't be able to see my babies until then (since they would most likely be in NICU). I was hoping that I could start to try to feed them right away but it seems that I was too naive. From what others have told me, preemies around this gestation don't know how to suck...not even bottles, let alone from the breasts. Is that true for you ladies?

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Jasmine1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 am

dun2859 wrote:Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your delivery. I've been following your story, but don't post much. It is great that you have made it this far with triplets!! What an accomplishment!!! Can't wait to see some pics of your trio! :D :D :D

Thank you very much! :D There's always great support here!

Jasmine1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby tdarrow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 am

Hey girl,

Just take one thing at a time. I hate that the doctrs got you worried as if you don't have anything else on your plate right now. I can imagine that your body is definitly out of sorts right now to put it mildly. Whatever needs to be done for the babies to be healthy and happy and whatever needs to be done for you to be healthy, happy and a wonderful mommy to those angels, then it is just going to have to be. Hopefully they are telling you this just to prepare you for the worst case scenario. Plus if they see that this might be a possible outcome they are getting prepared for it and can handle it and get everything under control. Just hang on.You are doing great! I truly feel that once you finally see those beautiful babies faces that whatever else happens you'll deal with it because you have to and because you have strength and faith. God has a plan and it will be for your good. Stay focused and positive. I know it is hard but you can do it!! When I had my Csections they held my boys up for me to see them, cleaned them up a bit weighed and measured them and brought them over to me while the doctor was getting me fixed up then they were taken to the nursery for all of the other stuff that had to be done so I only saw them about 5 minutes until I was out of recovery. With my first he was born at 6:46am. I was anxious to see him and kiss him and so on and son. So since there were not any other babies in the nursery they wheeled my bed in there so I could hold him. It was fantastic. Then I fell asleep and did not see him for several hours. With my second he was born at 10:46 pm and I didn't get to hold him until about 7am the next day it was agony but I was in and out of it so I managed. I was worried about waiting to nurse them after so many hours after they were born but we figured it out and I BF's my first for over 7 months and my second for over 13 months. Not sure how the BFing works with multiples and them being early but pumping can be an option but so is formula too. :-) My second baby was 3 weeks early and had a lil trouble latching on because his mouth was so small but the lactation nurse got me a nipple gaurd and that worked great until he had some strength built up in his cheeks and then there was no stopping him after that. Praying for you as always!!! Keep us posted. Remember with God all things are possible! God Bless!!
tdarrow
Angel
Angel

PreviousNext

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More