Twins are HARD

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Twins are HARD

Postby buggie » Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 am

Oh my god ladies. Two 2.5 year old boys might as well be thirty 2.5 year old boys in our house. They are driving me insane. Some days I think a mental hospital sounds like a nice vacation :)

They are in everything, they climb the gates, they climb into the windows, they grab at my computer (rule #1 in our house is DON'T TOUCH MOM'S WORK COMPUTER, so of course they spend 50% of their day trying to), they fight, they get hurt, they just don't listen to me at all!!! It's like if I'm not looking directly at them, they are climbing and getting into monkey business. I pee for 1 minute, and Beckett is standing on the radiator. I try to make their lunch and they flip over their toy kitchen and use it to climb onto my computer desk. Oh and they climbed out of their cribs a couple weeks ago, so we had to move them to toddler beds, that's been an interesting change (aka 100x more work for me everyday as now they have access to their entire room... meaning like 3 more dressers to climb, another window/radiator to climb, a closet to destroy). Yawn.

I go back and forth between thinking they have some kind of prematurity-related behavioral issues, and thinking they are just two 2 year old boys with a crap ton of energy.

There's two of them and one of me! I thought that was hard when they were needy babies and I was so wrong! It's hard now!!!!
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Twins are HARD

Postby tinyt » Mon May 12, 2014 1:12 pm

I had to laugh (sorry) when I read your post. My hubby travels quite a bit so it's always a 2:1 ratio at my house. I totally get it!! My girls are the same way. They get into everything!!! My favorite was when I went to the bathroom and came back to one on the counter eating chips and hot salsa:). I did take video of that one- I just couldn't resist. At bedtime you would have thought they just got up from a 3 hour nap. They tackle each other, dance, sing or just spin in circles till they fall. And EVERYTHING is interesting to them when I'm crunched for time.
One of my "Dr. Google" searches was something about stressed out Mom and I found one thing that I hold on to--Take a moment and look at the big picture, this time is a small snapshot in their lives. It will get better.

We have turned a corner here in the past few days. They have moments where they play beautifully together- meaning not having to break up an argument every 5 minutes. Those moments are few a far between but I seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. The insanity hasn't stopped but it's not constant.
Hang in there- and you are not alone.
tinyt
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby dun2859 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:02 pm

My twins turned 3 in March. They constantly fight with each other and rival each other for attention. My husband and I look at each other and wonder what we are doing wrong? LOL! But I think the age is just a tough age and two at once makes things even tougher! I'm hoping that pre-school in the fall will be helpful. I will say that anytime I take one of them by themselves somewhere, I get comments on how well they're behaved. So maybe we are doing something right?? Hang in there!! :)
IVF April 2009 Angel 8w4d IVF July 2010 - Twins born March 9, 2011 - Brinley Noelle and Casey Adam Jr.
dun2859
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby babydust2me » Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Well my nephew turned 2 in March and he's just as active as you describe your boys so I'm going to say it's a boy thing. I can only imagine how crazy things are for you!

My girls will be 2 next month and they are so much more mellow than boys but toddlers are a handful and 2 toddlers are practically a zoo. I keep finding Morgan standing on end tables. The other day I caught her sitting on the dining room table eating cookies. It doesn't matter how much I clean up, 5 minutes in a room makes it look like a bomb went off. They used to go to bed by 7pm but these days it's closer to 9 and they're still running around the living room like they just ate 2 gallons of sugar. They don't fight much yet but Morgan has quite the temper and will hit, push or pull her sister's hair when she gets mad. Right now, Reagan just looks at her like "What?" but I suspect at some point she will fight back.

And people still ask if we're having more. I look at them like they're nuts. I can barely keep up with the 2 I have and you think I want to add more to this zoo?
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Wed May 14, 2014 4:01 pm

I guess I am lucky that even though the boys go at 150% from the second they wake up (literally, they practically run out of bed in the morning) until bedtime, they sleep really well and go to bed easily. They'll be running around like they just woke up from a 4 hour nap at bedtime and they'll still get in bed, stay there, and go to sleep. Which is a good thing bc by bedtime the last thing I have the energy for is fighting with them to sleep!!
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby crysann4 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

I just have on 2 year old boy who acts exactly as yours does, and he is exhausting. And currently hogging my bed because he climbs out of his crib and refuses to sleep in his big boy bed AND, if force to do so is attempted, will cry until he throws up. I feel for you.
Crystal (34) :love: Eric (30)
:babyb: Brennen (14) 02/07/02
:babyb: Jorran (12) 08/04/04
:babyg: Carys (10) 02/13/06
:babyb: Everett (8) 04/23/08
:babyb: Asher Jakob (4) 02/22/12
crysann4
Addicted
Addicted

Postby buggie » Thu May 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Oh gosh Crystal, sounds familiar huh? lol I think we were in the same due date group, though my boys were born 2.5 months early! I lucked out that they sleep fine in their beds after switching :) It is all exhausting!!
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby crysann4 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:43 pm

We were in the same DDC. :) I keep trying to remind myself that this is but a very small and brief snapshot out of our lives together. Eventually he'll sleep. And eat his food instead of throwing it. And not tell everyone to 'shut up' because he loves to learn the best phrases from his older brothers. And then WE can sleep. :D
Crystal (34) :love: Eric (30)
:babyb: Brennen (14) 02/07/02
:babyb: Jorran (12) 08/04/04
:babyg: Carys (10) 02/13/06
:babyb: Everett (8) 04/23/08
:babyb: Asher Jakob (4) 02/22/12
crysann4
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caligirl22 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I could have wrote the post myself :wink: My boys are wild ones too. I'm really hoping its just the age and in a couple years they will settle down a bit. My only saving grace right now is the movie Toy Story. They are obsessed and will usually calm down for about 30 minutes to watch it, but not always when I want them to.
Me - 36/ DH 36
DS - 18
Twins - 2.5 years

IVF #1 (after 12 years TTC) SUCCESS -
Twin Boys born December 19, 2011
caligirl22
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby buggie » Thu May 29, 2014 8:10 am

Yess! My boys are obsessed with the movie Cars and amazingly they will sit there and watch the entire thing, nearly two hours worth!! I don't like trying to calm them down with TV, but it is so helpful when I just can't take another second of their madness.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More