DELIVERY QUESTION - anyone deliver without an epidural???

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

DELIVERY QUESTION - anyone deliver without an epidural???

Postby momma34 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:39 am

Hey Ladies - I know that the rate of C section is super high - and so I know I may not be able to deliver vaginally. However, if the twins are head down in a good position then I definitely am gonna try and do vaginal. My question is - do I have to get an epidural? Did anyone not have an epidural and deliver vaginally without trouble? Anyone not have an epidural and end up needing c section? If so what happened??? Thanks!!
Me: 34
DH: 32
DS: Born 12/31/2012 after 14 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid!
BFP 4/29/2014!!!! After 4 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid! (Temped for the first time month 3, found out I had LP of 9days, so since clomid worked for me back in 2012, tried it again this last month 4/2014!)

12/27/2014 WELCOME THEA ADELE and ROMAN COLE!!!! 7lbs 20 in and 6lbs 7oz 20 in respectively!!!

It's a BOY and a GIRL!!!!!
momma34
Star Member
Star Member

Re: DELIVERY QUESTION - anyone deliver without an epidural??

Postby buggie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 am

I had an emergency section, but before everything went to hell my doctor was open to a vaginal birth with out meds. He said that he would have an epidural port put in, so it was ready in case of emergency, but there was no need to have the drugs put through it unless I wanted them or I had to have an emergency section or something.

In my opinion, I would get the epidural port in that way if there was an emergency they could give you a spinal block and do a section instead of being put under, which is what they would do without time to put in an epidural during an emergency.
Robyn
IVF #1: Twins!
TWIN BOYS Emmett and Beckett arrived at 29w2d!
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby funobulaks » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:24 am

My plan was the same as Buggies. I was going to have the spinal port inserted in case of emergency (no meds in line) and try to go natural and vaginal. Everyone in OBs office was supportive. That is until fetal distress early in labor had us doing emergency c-section. I'd say, make plans to do it naturally and then be open to interventions as they become necessary.
Me (Henriette)- 34, DH - 34
Married in Denmark May 2005
TTC since April 2012, 3 failed medicated IUIs......
....then finally a BFP after IUI #4 w/Menopur
Beta #1 =19, Beta #2 = 200,
It's TWINS!!
It is a boy AND a girl!!

Blog: http://www.elusivejewell.blogspot.com

funobulaks
Angel
Angel

Postby shellsbellsxx » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:10 pm

I don't think i have a choice with that one! I can deliver vaginally if A is head down but from what i can gather they insist on a epidural :| If both are head down at the time of delivery i will be asking to go as long as i can without it before it being put in - obviously if any distress is detected, same as you all, then i'll do what ever is best for my baby boys x
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12) Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
23rd Sep '13 - BFP - Became an angel October 1st
26th May 2014 - BFP - Please be a sticky bean!!!
7th July 2014 - ultrasound #1 @ approx 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6

14 Jan '15 - My Babies were born...Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz & Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:50 am

Shells, remember you can always get the port for the epidural put in and ask for no drugs put through it unless necessary! I see no reason at all why a doc would not allow that. The port is there for easy access in an emergency and in an emergency they'd want to give you a spinal not an epidural anyway.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momma34 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for the input ladies:) - I think I will try the route of port but no meds unless something happens. Fingers crossed both babies are head down when it gets closer!!
DS: Born 12/31/2012 after 14 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid!
BFP 4/29/2014!!!! After 4 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid! (Temped for the first time month 3, found out I had LP of 9days, so since clomid worked for me back in 2012, tried it again this last month 4/2014!)

12/27/2014 WELCOME THEA ADELE and ROMAN COLE!!!! 7lbs 20 in and 6lbs 7oz 20 in respectively!!!

momma34
Star Member
Star Member

Postby shellsbellsxx » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:36 pm

buggie wrote:Shells, remember you can always get the port for the epidural put in and ask for no drugs put through it unless necessary! I see no reason at all why a doc would not allow that. The port is there for easy access in an emergency and in an emergency they'd want to give you a spinal not an epidural anyway.

it's very different in the UK when it comes to things like that unfortunately :( I am going to ask the question as that would be my ideal way ( well ideally I'd like a water birth but no way that's going to happen !) I see OB again on 3rd Nov so hopefully get a chance to ask then x
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
7th July 2014 - ultrasound #1 @ approx 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6

14 Jan '15 - My Babies were born...Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz & Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Ah I didn't realize you weren't in the US. Good luck though!! Hope you can find a solution that works for you :)
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shellsbellsxx » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 am

I Was wrong! Spoke to midwife yesterday and she says epidural can be sited and not filled as long as all is well at the time :) happy days!
LTTTC #1 for 13 years

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:48 am

Oh that's great! Good luck with everything!!!
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DV » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:38 pm

HI! It's been forever since I've been on the boards, but I def wanted to speak up here. I had an unmedicated, no epidural vaginal delivery with my mono-di twins and it went great! Now - I have to say that the only reason that happened is because I found an OB who was very experienced and was willing to do a breech delivery if baby b was not head down. My lil ones were both head down until I went into labor, then baby B flipped at the last minute, so had I not had a dr who could do breech I would've had an stat C section and put totally under (for I didn't have a port b/c I'm that crazy mama that needed to walk around, labor naturally, breath, the whole nine). It was an intense delivery, but very amazing. Doctor had to do a breech extraction and reach half his arm in me and pull my lil one out by the feet. But he was a pro and did it easily. Are your twins fraternals or identicals? Bc I highly suggest you find someone experienced in twin birth and breech deliveries. It's hard to find, but well worth it. I search all over and changed to my Peri when I was already far along. If you want to go natural, it's so important that they're experienced in this and can really support you. Also…I did hypno babies (not hypno birthing) and it was very helpful. It is a lot of training to get you to the point where you self hypnotize, but it works if you do the homework. PM me if you have any questions. You can do it!!!! Good lucK!!!

Angel baby at 4.0 weeks 11/4/11
BFP next cycle 8dpo 11/30/11!!
1st Beta- 10dpo- 32
2nd Beta-16dpo- 824
3rd Beta-23dpo- 6228

MONO-DI, IDENTICAL TWIN BOYS!!!!
Me-38
DH-45
DV
Angel
Angel

Postby tinybud » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 am

I am just chiming in with a question here... Just found out we are having twins, my other kids were vaginal births.
What I don't quite understand is that I thought you had to have a spinal for a c-section? I have had both an epi and a spinal in the past, and there was a vast difference between the two. Spinal leaves no sensation at all as it is in the cerebrospinal fluid, epi was much more variable.
Having said that, most of the twin mamas I know were told they needed to have the epi. One ended up birthing naturally because her labor progressed very quickly.
Gah, I don't know. I feel like I would rather just have a c/s than have a super controlled epi birth, my previous epi birth having been a complete disaster :|
Aping mama to Soren (7), Milo (4), and Kasper (2)
tinybud
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momma34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 am

Tinybud - Congrats on finding out you have twins:)

You can definitely have a c section with an epidural - they just turn up the dosing, but that is probably why a lot of people still feel pressure and tugging - but no pain. I was talking with my OB at my last visit and she said that if I wanted to go the route of no epidural that would be fine, I just had to be ok with being put under with general anesthesia should something occur and I need a c section. I so don't like the idea of needles in my back and I really dont like the idea of being awake during a surgery - so I may just go that route. Still not sure, and of course if the babies are not cooperating then I won't have a choice! Fortunately at least baby A was head down at my last ultrasound!

momma34
Star Member
Star Member

Postby tinybud » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:49 am

Is having a general really much quicker than having a spinal? My spinal worked within like 2 minutes, and you need an anesthetist present either way :?
(feel free to ignore me BTW, I'm trying to get this clear in my own head for when the time comes :) )
Aping mama to Soren (7), Milo (4), and Kasper (2)
tinybud
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buggie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:23 am

I think there is always a chance that placing the port for the spinal might take a few tries, whereas sticking a mask over your face for general is kind of a first try thing. In a "baby isn't getting oxygen" situation, placing a spinal is time that baby isn't breathing and general is instantly getting the kid out.
Robyn
buggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More