Two Week Wait

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.
Post a reply

Taking the babies at 36 weeks?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:54 pm

One of the last things my doctor told me was taking the babies at 36 weeks? Have yall heard of this? I looked it up and read that stillbirth is more common in twins after 37 weeks, but has anyones doctors said this to them?

Re: Taking the babies at 36 weeks?

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:00 am

They take most twins around 37 weeks unless you decline induction/c-section. A lot of studies show placenta starts to decline in functionality towards the end and can cause problems. But there are also ladies out there decline and go naturally and go on to have healthy last few weeks and nice big healthy babies. It's a choice you have to make but you would be going against medical advice if you did... but lots of ladies do and all is well.

My c-section is booked for 37+3 on 14th January.... 16 days to go! Hoping A will turn and i can go naturally after induction instead of c-section but not looking likely!

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:34 am

Good luck Shells!!!!! Thank you;!!!

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:58 am

My twins are mono-di, so I won't be going passed 36w because they share a placenta. I think most drs let the moms with di-di twins go to 38w if everything is going well and NSTs are good.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 pm

My dr took my twins at 37w3d. I would think your dr would at least let you try to go past 37 weeks to give you babies some extra time for their lungs. I'd request it. I had steroid shots for their lungs at 31 weeks when I went into preterm labor. They were perfectly healthy when I delivered them. Good luck!

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Thank you everyone! Next time I meet with him I am going to ask about the steroid shots if he wants to take them so early. I want them healthy first and foremost, but I can't wait til I get to hold them!

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:44 pm

My induction is scheduled for 38+5. I think it depends on what type of twins you are having, and also the overall health of you and babies. I go in for weekly NSTs. I would still prefer them to be here a few days earlier, but it's one of those situations where they might be better off being cooked a bit longer, as opposed to being premature. It all depends.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:36 pm

I know this is a bit old, but if they are going to take the babies at 36 weeks are they going to do an amnio to make sure their lungs are developed? 36 weeks if you can't avoid it is great, chances are their lungs would be fine and everyone is great; but it is still technically preterm, even for twins.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:06 am

sugarplum1922 wrote:My induction is scheduled for 38+5. I think it depends on what type of twins you are having, and also the overall health of you and babies. I go in for weekly NSTs. I would still prefer them to be here a few days earlier, but it's one of those situations where they might be better off being cooked a bit longer, as opposed to being premature. It all depends.

Yeah, that.
Identical twins are higher risk, so it is arguably better to have them born earlier. With di-di twins I believe it should depend on how everything is going at the time. 36 weeks will still be too early for some babies, and they will end up with NICU time that might have been avoided.
In France they induce if the babies are not born by 39 weeks (assuming everything is going well).
Post a reply
IsoFresh
PregEase
Milkies Milksaver
PeaPodPrenatal
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend