9wks pregnant with twins and TERRIFIED

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

9wks pregnant with twins and TERRIFIED

Postby 2newmoms » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi ladies. I found out that I was pregnant with twins 2 weeks ago and have been freaking out ever since! Naturally I am thinking worst case scenario (gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, hypertension, premature births, C-section, etc)! I keep searching for positive pregnancies and positive birth stories but all I'm reading are horror stories. To make things worse, I just started a new job and I haven't told my family yet since they don't agree with my life/marriage and doesn't acknowledge my partner. So, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that everything will be ok - and I won't die in childbirth - and my children will be heathy.
2newmoms

Re: 9wks pregnant with twins and TERRIFIED

Postby Tiffne » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 pm

First off, congrats!! What type of twins do you have? When first finding out, I think we're all a bit terrified. Its pretty nerve racking at first, with the what ifs and such. But the good thing is, its not always a rough road. While I'm only 31w and I still have time to go, I've had a very uneventful pregnancy despite the family history of hypertension and GD. My high risk doctor is quite surprised how well my little body is taking these babies. He even thinks I'll make it term! So not every case is worst case scenario. Also, my DH family really dislikes me, always have for no real reason, so I understand that part too. And I have to say they have put their ill feelings aside and at least pretend to be nice, I mean they even came to my shower! I hope your family comes around as well. If you need anyone to talk to or have any questions, feel free to ask, were all here to help one another. Good luck!
Me (25) Dx with PCOS Feb 2014
Dh (29) Morph 4%, Motility 38%, Low volume @.06
Dss (7)

Clomid Round 5: :bfp: 10/08 (8dpo) :sticky:

U/S @ 5.3= TWINS!! :baby: :baby:
U/S @ 7.2 = Baby A 7+2 :hb: 99, Baby B 7+2 :hb: 149
U/S @ 9.2= Baby A 9+3 :hb: 180, Baby B 9+3 :hb: 181
U/S @ 12.6= Baby A 13+2 :hb: 162, Baby B 13+4 :hb: 151
U/S@17.6= Baby A :babyg: :hb: 152, Baby B :babyb: :hb: 146
U/S@24w= Baby A 1.8lb :hb: 158, Baby B 1.7lb :hb: 163
U/S@28w= Baby A 2.8lb :hb: 142, Baby B 2.12lb :hb: 153

Tiffne
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby 2newmoms » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Thank you Tiffne!! That actually makes me feel better to know that you are having a good pregnancy with no hypertension and GD despite the family history of it. There are just so many unknowns and Its hard for me since I'm a planner! I don't know what kind of twins I'm having. I've only had one ultrasound at 7wks4d which showed the two bubs each with their own yolk sac. Hopefully I'll know more soon! I have my next appointment tomorrow and not quite sure what to expect.

So far, things are going really well. I'm tired but not to the point that I'm falling asleep (I sleep around 10pm and get up at 7:30). I had night nausea where I woke up feeing sea sick but that's pretty much subsided. Now I don't feel awesome at night but nothing crippling. My biggest concern is the weight gain! I'm already overweight so gaining more scares me. I'm already up 8lbs which is weird at 9wks! I'm gaining all my weight above my belly button which is weird!! I wonder why that is.

I'm hoping not to show until 13+ weeks so I can buy more time with my family. Ugh, I'm dreading telling them and it's so sad since this should be something to celebrate :(
2newmoms

Postby 1sttimemommy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:39 pm

I am 31 weeks with twins. No pre-e, no GD, everything has been great. I have had more nausea then most women who are having one, but thats okay, its reassurance that my baby boy and girl are healthy. Good luck!
Mommy - Nicole, 28, Daddy - Codie, 21
:bfp: 10/23/2014
1st U/S - 11/12/2014 - :baby: :baby:
BABY A :hb: 134
BABY B :hb: 137
01/28/15
Baby A :hb: 145 :babyg: Savannah Leigh
Baby B :hb: 158 :babyb: Alexander Kain

1sttimemommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby 2newmoms » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:40 pm

That gives me hope 1sttimemommy!!! Thanks for the reassurance that it may not be the worst case scenario!!
2newmoms

Postby shellsbellsxx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Congratulations you are in for a fantastic journey, twins are amazing!! I had frat boys 14 weeks ago, uneventful pregnancy, no morning sickness, no cravings, worked until 31 weeks (signed off with high BP). I did suffer SPD and i won't lie the last 3 or 4 weeks were tough going, carry twins at the end is a strain on your body, plenty of rest is very much advised! I delivered via scheduled c-section due to both being breech at 37+3 in what was a beautifully clam, person centered, highly emotional delivery a day i will never ever forget. MY boys are placid calm boys who are content most of the time, and make being a twin mummy such a blessing x
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12) Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
23rd Sep '13 - BFP - Became an angel October 1st
26th May 2014 - BFP - Please be a sticky bean!!!
7th July 2014 - ultrasound #1 @ approx 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6

14 Jan '15 - My Babies were born...Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz & Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2newmoms » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Thank you Shellsbellsxx! I'm also having a similar (early) pregnancy! No morning sickness, no cravings! I had an OB apt and ultrasound today and feel a little better. My OB said that having di/di twins is pretty much the same as a singleton but with extra monitoring. She said full term is 38 weeks and she doesn't think I should be so worried about GD. She did say a lot of women with twins get hypertension towards the end but that's nothing that can be prevented. Both babies are measuring 9+4 with strong heartbeats (160 and 173)! Baby B's sac is smaller than Baby A's which scares me a little (8.5 vs 5.5) but the doctor isn't worried about it so I guess I shouldn't be either. I'm going to try to take things one day at a time and not freak out so much. I don't want to waste all this time worrying about the final weeks!
2newmoms

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 am

Congratulations and I am in the same boat as you. I am 8 weeks, 3 days, found out at 6 weeks there were (fraternal) twins and even more surprised because we stopped trying after I had surgery in January to remove a polyp. My RE basically told me I wouldn't get pregnant without without IUI or IVF (although IVF was never an option due to cost). I have 3 stepkids at home so adding 2 more scares me - will we be able to do it? Can we really afford it? Will we go crazy? Also, I am worried about making sure I am healthy and these little ones are healthy. I am overweight so I know gestational diabetes is a big risk (especially since I have a family history). My endocrinologist also just told me that since I have thyroid antibodies that will pass into the placentas, that I will more than likely deliver earlier. Hoping to get more info when I meet my ob/gyn for the first time in 2 weeks.

However, after trying for so long and all the crap that we dealt with, to get pregnant and discover it's twins is amazing! I have had a relatively easy couple of weeks with no morning sickness, just sour stomach and acid reflux. I am trying to remain calm and know that everything will be ok. I think it's normal to be scared because 1 baby can be trying enough (although such a great experience) that the thought of 2 seems like a lot. Honestly, what keeps me excited is knowing I get to say, "my children" especially since DH and I only planned 1 since he has so many already. Also helps watching cute videos of twins online. From everything I have heard, twins are a lot of work but an amazing blessing.

If you ever want to chat, please know I am here!
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby 1sttimemommy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 pm

lmtc430 wrote:Congratulations and I am in the same boat as you. I am 8 weeks, 3 days, found out at 6 weeks there were (fraternal) twins and even more surprised because we stopped trying after I had surgery in January to remove a polyp. My RE basically told me I wouldn't get pregnant without without IUI or IVF (although IVF was never an option due to cost). I have 3 stepkids at home so adding 2 more scares me - will we be able to do it? Can we really afford it? Will we go crazy? Also, I am worried about making sure I am healthy and these little ones are healthy. I am overweight so I know gestational diabetes is a big risk (especially since I have a family history). My endocrinologist also just told me that since I have thyroid antibodies that will pass into the placentas, that I will more than likely deliver earlier. Hoping to get more info when I meet my ob/gyn for the first time in 2 weeks.

However, after trying for so long and all the crap that we dealt with, to get pregnant and discover it's twins is amazing! I have had a relatively easy couple of weeks with no morning sickness, just sour stomach and acid reflux. I am trying to remain calm and know that everything will be ok. I think it's normal to be scared because 1 baby can be trying enough (although such a great experience) that the thought of 2 seems like a lot. Honestly, what keeps me excited is knowing I get to say, "my children" especially since DH and I only planned 1 since he has so many already. Also helps watching cute videos of twins online. From everything I have heard, twins are a lot of work but an amazing blessing.

im floating around 300 lb right now at 32 weeks and tested neg for ges. diabetes.
01/28/15

1sttimemommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby happywife78 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm in the terrified camp too! People keep telling me stories about twins that didn't make it and if I hear one more, I might scream. I worry about delivering too early and long stays in the NICU. It's going to be hard dealing with twins and a 2 year old, but getting the twins here safely is what freaks me out. I pray often for my anxiety levels to decrease.
Jen- 36 Dh-38,
DS1-4
DS- 1
It looks like 2 more boys! :D
happywife78
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lmtc430 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:24 am

1sttimemommy - I am a little under 300 so that is good to know. My (fasting) blood sugar is consistently in the low 90s. Even if I get GD, I am already eating a rather healthy diet since my husband is diabetic.

happywife78 - I am trying to get my anxiety and stress out now so I don't have to deal with it later. I figure once I am further along, I will be way more excited. I am of course excited now but its a cautious excitement.
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby 2newmoms » Fri May 01, 2015 5:31 pm

lmtc430 wrote:Congratulations and I am in the same boat as you. I am 8 weeks, 3 days, found out at 6 weeks there were (fraternal) twins and even more surprised because we stopped trying after I had surgery in January to remove a polyp. My RE basically told me I wouldn't get pregnant without without IUI or IVF (although IVF was never an option due to cost). I have 3 stepkids at home so adding 2 more scares me - will we be able to do it? Can we really afford it? Will we go crazy? Also, I am worried about making sure I am healthy and these little ones are healthy. I am overweight so I know gestational diabetes is a big risk (especially since I have a family history). My endocrinologist also just told me that since I have thyroid antibodies that will pass into the placentas, that I will more than likely deliver earlier. Hoping to get more info when I meet my ob/gyn for the first time in 2 weeks.

I wish I could be more excited. I just have to remember all the perks of two: they will entertain each other, they will always have a friend at school, they will always have a special bond that will last them a lifetime. It's just so hard to see past the next year!!
2newmoms

Postby 2newmoms » Fri May 01, 2015 5:33 pm

happywife78 wrote:I'm in the terrified camp too! People keep telling me stories about twins that didn't make it and if I hear one more, I might scream. I worry about delivering too early and long stays in the NICU. It's going to be hard dealing with twins and a 2 year old, but getting the twins here safely is what freaks me out. I pray often for my anxiety levels to decrease.

I agree!!! Everyone has a horror story about twin pregnancy so of course I'm thinking I will end up on hospital bedrest with GD, Pre-E and deliver early. I wish I could hear more positive stories. Also, if one more singleton mom tries to tell me what to expect and what to do in the hospital, I may smack them!
2newmoms

Postby 1sttimemommy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 am

I've recently learned that you can never plan anything that happens during pregnancy. At my 32 week check up, I tested positive for the dreaded Pre-Eclampsia. However, its not all a horror story. I have to watch my blood pressure, and swelling, and stay off my feet for the most part, but honestly, at 32-33 weeks you really want to be off your feet anyway. I have been perfectly fine this whole pregnancy until last week.

Not telling you to scare you, but just telling you that if you do end up with one of the other its all going to be okay. My son and daughter are completely healthy, I received two steroid shots to boost their lungs, and now they are ready for delivery at any moment, which is exciting! Pre-E, and GD is common in first time moms in general, not just twins. Good luck dear.
01/28/15

1sttimemommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby 2newmoms » Tue May 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Thank you!! This really does help. Good to know that if something does come up, it's not the worse case scenario. Good luck - hope everything turns out well for you!!!
2newmoms

Next

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More