One Nursery or Two?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

One Nursery or Two?

Postby reapage » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:52 am

Hey all!!

I am currently 6w6d. We got pregnant form our third IVF cycle!!! our first u/s was last thursday(6w2d) and we saw two beautiful babies. Baby A was measuring ahead, hb of 128 and baby B was on schedule, hb 112. We are so excited! My next u/s is this coming thursday, I will be 7 weeks 2 days. I need to see those hb's again!

In the meantime, in efforts to stay positive- I am thinking of the nursery. We have two adjacent rooms that would be perfect for twins, but recently my sister offered to stay with us, and help out when they are born- so we would be giving her one of the rooms. Therefore we are thinking we will be putting both twins in one nursery. Is this a good idea or a bad one? My line of thinking with two separate rooms was that they wouldn't wake one another. However, I am thinking there is something to be said for having them on the same sleep schedule & that might be more doable if they are in one room, two separate cribs of course.

Did/will your twins share a room for the first couple years, or did/will they have their own?
Me:23 PCOS DH:32 MFI
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

FIRST U/S @6W2D SHOWS TWINS!!!!
Baby A :hb: 128
Baby B :hb: 112
SECOND U/S @7W2D TWINS ARE PERFECT!
Baby A :hb: 166
Baby B :hb: 151

ITS A BOY AND A GIRL! :babyb: :babyg: :balloons:

reapage

Re: One Nursery or Two?

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:50 am

HUGE CONGRATS!!!!! I follow the TTC blogs (never posted) and recognized your name. Yay!!!!

I am only 16 weeks and we have gone back and forth about where we are going to put our babies. We have a 4 bedroom house but all rooms are occupied (3 stepkids) so we were going to convert our master bedroom closet to a nursery (it was a window and feels like a room anyway). We planned to put one crib at one end and the other crib on the other side. However, we have changed out minds since heating and cooling that space is going to be tricky right now and decided to have both babies in our room, most likely in a two bassinets that we can roll around if needed. We also thought about having them share one crib in our room at least for the first couple months.

I think its a great idea to put them in the same space and will be much easier on you for feeding, attending to them when needed, etc. I feel like a lot of people have twins share a room and I was planning on having ours share a room until they are probably 5 or so and we have 2 rooms free upstairs. Or if they decide they want to share the room after that, I'm up for it until they are ready to be on their own. I don't know gender yet so if it's a girl and boy, I will probably give them separate space earlier.

I have no children of my own nor have raised twins but I would assume eventually by being together, they'll get on the same schedule and even if they aren't exactly sleeping at the same time, I doubt they will disturb each other too much when they are younger. I say do whatever works best for you all or maybe see how things go the first couple weeks and be flexible in where they might sleep during the night. Then as you get more of a routine and schedule, it will make more sense where to put them.
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks for the reply!!! I think it makes a lot of sense to have your twins close to you @ arms reach. I am sure for the first couple weeks they will be in the room with us, but I wont be working and want to try and give dh as peaceful a night as possible since he works long hrs.

I am starting to think that having them in the same nursery will be more convenient than anything else. I am getting excited!

My next u/s is Thursday and I cant wait. I want to get out of the first tri! Congratulations on your twin beans!
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:25 am

If I had a spare bedroom close by, those babies would be in it! But unfortunately, our master bedroom is on the 1st floor on the other side of the house and all the other bedroom's are upstairs (not very convenient for babies). Knowing me, I will probably change my mind and decide to convert our closet. I worry too about DH getting sleep but he's been down this road with his other kids so I bet he can adjust fine unless they cry a lot (I hope not!).

The first trimester flew by for me. Hell, I spent most of it being shocked about twins :D but now time is dragging especially since I have 5 more weeks to find out gender.

Hopefully you are feeling well. My first trimester was very easy with little to no sickness (no morning sickness just sour stomach). My doctor gave me a prescription for B6 and I think that helped me so much in not having any nausea or vomiting.
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 am

Oh you have to have them close to you tho! The spare we are going to put them in is right across the hall. We also have a room downstairs but obviously that wont work. I bet your converted closet would look cute!!!

I feel awful. I have been sick since week 4 but this week it has hit me like a ton of bricks. Even drinking water makes me want to vomit. I just feel awful. very very thankful tho! Im just so scared something will go wrong, I think after the first tri I will feel better. We have no clue what we will do post birth tho. Childcare for the both of them in this area is greater than or equal to what I make haha, looks like I might be a stay at home mom until they get a little older. What about you?
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 am

Sorry you are feeling so crappy. The worst for me was the sensitivity to smells (I think that was around 8-10 weeks or so). It was BAD and we have a lot of pets and I was ready to move out! That actually was the only thing that would make me feel nauseous. That passed and now it's reflux and frequent urination. It's funny how these symptoms come in phases. Oh, almost forgot mood swings!

I totally understand about being scared. I never thought I would get pregnant. After our 6 week ultrasound, to see a healthy baby and then another one, I said from that point I was putting faith in everything being ok. But I sit here now wishing I could feel movements to know things are ok and I still check the toilet paper each time I potty. But they say once you see a healthy heartbeat the changes of anything bad happening are really slim. I will have to find something to worry about though, that's just my nature!

Childcare is CRAZY expensive. The early quotes I saw from going online and looking at a couple places around town were $150 for 1 baby and no discounts for 2! That would cost us $1200 a month, totally not possible! I'd have to sell a kidney! My mom told me not to worry about all that right now but I can't help but think about it. We both work full time and our options are slim. I couldn't quit but I may be able to work part time or work from home part time to save on childcare costs. I like my job but I also may have to look for another job that pays more. I was planning to take what I've saved from my 401k but I would have to quit my current job to do that. I know it will work out, things usually do, but these days, you have to set up childcare and schooling so far in advance.
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Oh the mood swings have commenced! ha I am not as friendly as I once was. lol. I was able to eat some lunch today and it made me feel a lot better. I cant imagine having twins with other kids in the house! But I bet they will be helpful. Do you have guesses on the genders?

I am trying to have faith that they will both be okay, but I worry so much. I think its the three cycles of IVF that it took to get to this point, I really realized how fragile everything is. But we had strong hb's so I am focused on that until we see them again on thursday. I will be 7w2d.

What area do you live in? We are in the dc metro area. For a center for two infants we are looking at 2-4k a month and for two babies at an in-home daycare, we are looking at 2-3k a month. Really its about the same I make haha. My other half is the primary breadwinner, but my salary definitely helps to keep us comfortable. I know we have plenty of time to think about all of these things, but like you said- these days you have to get it done so early. Not sure what we will do. Our family is in the area but they all work as well. Im sure something will come up & we will figure it out. Right now, my best plan is to be a stay at home mom for the first couple years or until we find some affordable alternative. Im not really attached to my job, but I am attached to the money lol.

You should be feeling kicks really soon!!!
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:07 am

I literally thought I was losing my mind one day that's how bad my mood swings were but they are a lot better! I am about 95% sure its a boy and girl, but DH is team pink all the way. I would be happy of course with whatever but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE at least one girl because that's all I've ever dreamed about when I started trying several years ago.

I think women who try so hard and undergo so much to get pregnant know how precious every little moment is. Not to say those that haven't tried don't get it but it's just a completely different perspective. My 11 week scan really put my mind at ease because we could see them looking like babies finally and it's just an awesome experience. I cried at my 6 week scan when she showed me the heartbeat but seeing them wiggle and the hearing the heartbeat at 11 weeks, I'll never forget that!

We live in northern KY so the cost of living is way lower here but it's still a big city with big city costs. I could probably find a better paying job and I may look into it after the babies come but I like where I work because the benefits and flexibility. If I need to take off for an appointment, it's not an issue. Plus because I work in a nonprofit, the environment is completely different than a business and very, very supportive of new moms. Most of my family is here so I will have a lot of support but not options for on-going child care. My mom has offered to take a little time off to help me in the beginning but she works full time too. I would prefer to take my kids somewhere else rather than having someone stay or come to my house since we have so many pets. Daycare is a great option for many families but I just wish there was something else and there probably is, I just need to do some research. I am also looking into ways I could work from home with two babies but haven't figured that out quite yet...I know it's possible but I don't want to sell anything or work in customer service.

Luckily my stepkids are older (preteen/teens) so they don't require as much support as a baby. For them it's mostly about emotional support and making sure they are ok and doing well. It will be a change for me having to take care of someone's basic needs. I don't have much experience with babies outside of my nieces but I never really did much like babysit or anything when they were very little. I know it's going to be tough but I can't wait.

I can't wait to feel movement! I actually started feeling weird sensations (vibrations, flutters) around 12 weeks and then it went away. I am not sure where these babies are positioned or where their placentas are so I could possibly not be able to feel much.
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 am

Omg we are twins!! My other half is positive its girls all the way, and I am positive its b/g!! I will be happy with whatever, but I too have always dreamed of having a little girl. On the note of childcare, I actually came across the option of an Au Pair. Im not sure it would work for you, but we have an extra two bedrooms in our home, and it would be an amazing experience for us and the babies, and very cost effective. I am going to pitch it to my better half and see what he thinks. Its either that or I stop working for a while. I will be happy with either! :)

I used to work for a non profit and I miss it so much. It is much better than corporate, and yes, very accepting of family needs. Im sure you wont have any trouble! Try looking into in-home centers. They are much more cost effective and they are certified through the gov. so they have to uphold specific standards. I have also heard from many parents that the children get a lot more one on one time.

I cant wait for you to feel movement, and I will be right behind you. Its going to be great to have that reassurance that they are always in there. I could use some of that right now. My next u/s is tomorrow (7w2d) and I am a nervous wreck.
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52 am

We have bets in our house on gender and the winner gets to accompany me to dinner (we don't go to restaurants much so hopefully that will be a nice treat). That will be a good one to see because only my husband thinks it's g/g, two stepkids say its b/b and the other one (plus myself) say it's b/g. My mom and aunt also say b/g. Can't wait to find out!

I wish I could have a family member watch them during the day because my grandma practically raised me while my mom was working but that's not an option unfortunately. I am hoping I can do part time in the office, part time at home or maybe work increased hours 3 days and then only put the kids in daycare for half a week or less. That would be MUCH more manageable for us. I wish I worked at a place with an on-site daycare. That would be fabulous! I'm sure we will find some options. People do it, people that make a lot less money!

I wish I could have an ultrasound each week and I would if I could! It will be nice to feel them kicking but I'm sure I'll worry if they aren't doing it "enough" or whatever the case may be. It's hard not to go to a bad place in your head when in reality the chance of something negative happening is really small. I think about it each day...wondering how they are doing, if they have the right number of parts, if they will be healthy, and such. I don't think I will stop worrying even when they are 50!

I'm sure you're scan tomorrow will go wonderfully, can't wait to hear the good news!!!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby shellsbellsxx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:26 am

Congratulations on your twins! You are in for an amazing journey!

My b/b twins share a cot bed in my room at the moment and we are 5 (nearly 6) months old. It made life so much easier just having them so close for night feeding. I also find it reassuring they I can open my eyes and being able to see all is well with them. It is getting closer to time to have their own room but they will share the room but will go into their own cot beds in there (I think lol) they are very close and love being together so will follow their cues if they area happy or not when I separate them. X
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12) Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
23rd Sep '13 - BFP - Became an angel October 1st
26th May 2014 - BFP - Please be a sticky bean!!!
7th July 2014 - ultrasound #1 @ approx 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6

14 Jan '15 - My Babies were born...Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz & Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shellsbellsxx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:27 am

Please excuse typos my phone hates this forum even in mobile view lol x
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12) Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
23rd Sep '13 - BFP - Became an angel October 1st
26th May 2014 - BFP - Please be a sticky bean!!!
7th July 2014 - ultrasound #1 @ approx 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6

14 Jan '15 - My Babies were born...Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz & Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bakermommy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:22 am

My twins slept in separate swings (not moving) for the first four months. That was just the only place they would sleep. Then they moved to a joint room but in their own cribs. They are four now and still share s room. They don't want to be apart. I will say though that I wish they did have their own rooms. It would make bedtime easier because they just sit in there and giggle with each other now. Only cute for about 10 minutes. An hour later not so much lol.

Congrats on the twins though. Most amazing experience ever!
4/2009 :angel2:
IVF#1 BFP 10-23-10
Beckham Cale 5lbs 6 oz 6/17/11
Brody Kingston 6 lbs 2 oz 6/17/11
BFP#3 5-4-12
6-5-12 :hb: 157
6-26-12 :hb: 160
7-25-12 :hb: 144
8-6-12 It's a boy
1/5/13 Bray Isaiah 8 lbs 5 oz
BFP#4 7/29/14
Beta # 1 7/30/14 (15)
Beta #2 8/1/14 (66) Progesterone 26
9/10/14 :hb: 166
10/8/14 :hb: 156
11/10/14 It's a Princess!!
3/27/15 Brooklyn Grace 7lbs 13 oz 19 in
bakermommy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby reapage » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:40 am

Thanks for the input ladies!!!!!! We decided on one nursery! I am so excited and want to start buying everything now haha. We want to spread the purchases out over time, so we might start getting things here and there... this weekend is a new SUV. have a good weekend ladies & thanks for the input! We find out genders in 4 weeks!
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby 1sttimemommy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:00 pm

I have two nurseries set up one for each baby, with b/g twins. but they sleep in my room honestly. And they will until they are sleeping through the night. Good luck, twins are a blessing.
Mommy - Nicole, 28, Daddy - Codie, 21
:bfp: 10/23/2014
1st U/S - 11/12/2014 - :baby: :baby:
BABY A :hb: 134
BABY B :hb: 137
01/28/15
Baby A :hb: 145 :babyg: Savannah Leigh
Baby B :hb: 158 :babyb: Alexander Kain

1sttimemommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Next