One Nursery or Two?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: One Nursery or Two?

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:23 am

In the beginning of my pregnancy, I was just feeling very blah...food didn't sound appealing so I didn't each much. I just did some rechecking and I was totally wrong about my weight. I thought I weighed way more pre pregnancy and thought I lost 15 lbs! Around the end of June, I was down 11 lbs. By the the middle of this month, I am up 4 lbs overall, still not bad! Although it looks like in 2 months (June to Aug), I gained 15 lbs. I don't see me gaining a bunch more weight in fat, it will probably be babies and all the fluid and such.

If I sit down, my bump isn't crazy big. If I am standing up, yep, huge! People have been commenting for several weeks now about how wonderful my bump is and they want to touch it. I try to wear clothes that make it apparent its a baby bump and not just fat! It was right after my 20 week anatomy scan when I felt the first actual "kick." Before then, it was just a general feeling. Now, I can feel very localized movements and I can tell when they are hitting or rolling/flipping. I can't tell exactly which one it is but I have a pretty good idea since baby girl is on the right and baby boy on the left.

My next scan is at 28 weeks. I started growth scans at 20 weeks and go every 4 weeks. At 28 weeks, I believe I at least start seeing the doctor every 2 weeks but not sure about ultrasounds. They told me they will check my cervix at every visit until 33 weeks. I didn't want to drive myself crazy so I decided not to get a doppler. I'm usually a very anxious, worried person but something has calmed me about these babies and I haven't really worried that they are ok too much. I have my moments! At my last scan, I could see them moving and feel them at the same time and that was a pretty awesome experience I won't forget!

Can't wait to hear how your appointment goes!
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:35 am

I am really jealous of your weight gain, I feel like all I do is gain, gain, gain.... and I look very obviously pregnant. I will post a photo!!! I do the same thing haha, I wear close that accent the bump so ppl know its pregnancy and not just fat lol. I feel the babies move 24/7 lately, but its just movement, I cant tell what they are doing, tho I am pretty sure I have felt the occasional kick. I hope that by 20 weeks im like you and its more focused. I cant wait for the 20 week scan.

I love your confidence in it all, I was a hot mess the first trimester with worry, I think it was the three back to back IVF's that got me. But I am also naturally a worrier so it was tenfold... since my NT I have been a lot better (most days). I didn't use the Doppler in the beginning much, but now, every few days I like to listen to them. Its the coolest thing.

I joined a local mothers of multiples group, I'm not sure if I mentioned that, I just cant wait for the twins to be here and to interact with other children.

I am doing two scans every 4 weeks (one with the OB and one with the high risk doc) but only the high risk doc does measurements. They said I will be doing two scans every two weeks after 24 weeks... I am basically going to be living at the hospital haha. Totally worth it tho.

How amazing it must have been to see and feel them move at the same time, I bet everything got real in that moment :) :)

Yesterday's scan was great. both HB's were in the high 150's and babes were moving a lot! baby boy measured ahead like usual and baby girl measured right on time. They each weigh 5oz, tho it feels like a lot more! My cervix looked good and babies fluids looked good. They said the 20 week scan is the most important, so I am just anxious & excited for that!
Me:23 PCOS DH:32 MFI
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

FIRST U/S @6W2D SHOWS TWINS!!!!
Baby A :hb: 128
Baby B :hb: 112
SECOND U/S @7W2D TWINS ARE PERFECT!
Baby A :hb: 166
Baby B :hb: 151

ITS A BOY AND A GIRL! :babyb: :babyg: :balloons:

reapage

Postby reapage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:39 am

Here is a bump pic from Monday
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 559 times
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 am

Secret - I am freaked out! I am not too concerned about the pregnancy but I am so worried about after they are born and being able to take care of them and everything else. Ok, I do worry about preterm labor and preeclampsia because my blood pressure is slowly rising but I'll be seeing my doctor every two weeks starting on 9/18 so I will be monitored for sure! Right now, I have really bad carpal tunnel, like can't feel my fingertips too well and my hands get all tingly and fall asleep. It really sucks but I will gladly take it to be pregnant.

The movement is much more regular but still feels weird. Sometimes I think maybe it's a kick but it's mostly feels like a twitching sensation and even gas sometimes. I can't tell yet who is moving but I can feel the movement on both sides and mostly lower down, really low down. This weekend I finally felt them from the outside. Can't see it yet though. I can't wait for hubby to be able to feel it. Probably a couple more weeks until then!

So glad to hear everything is going well! Great heartbeats! My 20 week scan didn't last as long as I thought. It was maybe 45 minutes, if that. I think it helped that babies were so cooperative unlike my last scan. I hear a lot of women having to go back though because baby was curled up or they could get certain measurements. I was tempted to drink some coffee beforehand but I decided not to eat or drink since it was an early scan and I was hoping they would be sleeping. They were pretty active but not too bad where they couldn't see everything. It's amazing how much the techs can tell. I was sitting there thinking, "what am I looking at?" I also didn't ask questions because I know some techs won't tell you but the one doing mine explained everything as she went along.

Not sure if you are signing up for a class on Multiples but I just went to one last week and it was really good BUT I wish I would have taken it sooner. I felt like I had read so much and talked to so many twin moms at this point a lot of information was redundant but it was really helpful, especially having twin parents come and give advice. I was able to take it for free through the hospital where I am giving birth. I am taking a childbirth class tonight and a hospital tour on Thursday. Things are getting soooooooo real! About two more months until the babies come!!!! AHHHHHH

Oh, did I ask about names? Have you all decided or thought of any? I'm going to try to attach my last bump picture below. Hopefully it works.
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 am

Here is a progression pic.
Last edited by lmtc430 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:05 am

OMG you look so cute and pregnant!!!!

You have seemed so calm and maintained, I am actually a little relieved to hear you are concerned about the logistics... it means you are normal! When did the carpel tunnel start? I think that goes away when the babies are born. Have you mentioned it to your OB? Maybe there is something you can take, it sure does sound miserable. When did it start? is it hard to work?

I have NO clue how we are going to handle life after the birth haha. I mean I wont be working because day care is simply to expensive... and loosing my income will really suck... but its our only option for right now. We are just trying to get things paid down and prep. But I also worry about pre eclampsia, premature birth, nicu time, bed rest.... basically everything under the sun. Its so stressful. We are more excited than we are scared, so I just try to focus on that.

I really hope my anatomy scan is as easy as yours.... gah only 3 more weeks. I want it to be here like now. You still cant feel distinguished kicks? Man I am so ready for that. I want it so bad. I feel them all the time, but like you, its wiggles and movement... not straight up kicks. Tho I *think* I have felt a kick here and there. Do you know the location of the placentas? That has a lot to do with it. We have one in front and one in back, the baby who's is in back (baby A) I feel a lot more than the one whos placenta is in front.

We have had the names for a while now. They are family names that we have combined, so we will have James Edward and Addeline Elizabeth. Do you have names???

I know we are doing a scheduled c section, so Im not sure if we need a birthing class... I have to look into the multiples class, but I did sign up with a local MoM group (Mothers of Multiples) and I have my first New & Expecing meeting this Thursday. I cant wait. They do a lot of events, play dates and consignment sales.

The in-laws got us a matching double stroller and 2 car seat set and my parents got us two matching cribs/mattresses so a lot of our big ticket items have been covered, which is such a relief.

We sent out the invites for the shower, which is Oct 10 and I will have 6 weeks to get everything completely done in the nursery- my goal is to be ready for the babies by 30 weeks so that incase they (God forbid) come early, or incase I am on bedrest, we will be all set.
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:30 am

This bump truly is weird. The tightest, hardest part is very, very high and then my lower abdomen is all flab! Like all my fat has navigated south. Luckily, I already had stretch marks and the ones I am getting aren't purple but skin colored. The carpal tunnel started off with just my hands falling asleep when I used them a lot. Now, it feels like I have no feeling in my fingertips. I can feel but it's not like normal. I have to wear braces at night or my hands fall asleep and tingle like crazy in the morning. My job is pretty much at a computer/desk and the braces help a little but right now, I'm not wearing them and just get used to not being able to feel a lot. I'm going to talk to my OB at my next appt but from what I hear, there isn't much to do unless it was a severe case and that usually after delivery, it goes away. I am SOOOO lucky in this pregnancy being so smooth and "easy" thus far and if this is the worst, I will gladly take it. I've had this for over a month but only really bad the last two weeks.

I am a big hormonal mess most days. I have anxiety already but it's worse because of the hormones. Then when I think about handling a household, I go a little crazy. But it doesn't last long and I know it will work out but it feels like a lot! I just know too that all these feelings are normal and it would be weird if we didn't freak out or stress. Plus, I have an advantage of having a husband who has been through this 3 times so he'll know exactly what to do. Hopefully! Some days, though, I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I seem composed here but ask my husband, I think most days he wants to run away from me!

You know, I never asked where the placentas were, but going to ask next time. I can feel what I think are kicks but could be jabs. Sometimes it feels like babies are rolling, flipping, and sometimes like they are literally kicking me. I am now starting to sense a pattern in movement and think I can finally tell them apart. This is weird, but sometimes it feels like a bird is inside me flapping their wings. And the sensations are so, so low. I am curious to see how babies are at the next scan because last time they were head down and breech. I'm sure they have flipped again!

Love family names! Those are both great names. It took us forever to find names and hubby wouldn't even entertain any ideas until we found out gender. I can't tell you HOW many names we looked at before deciding. We wanted these super unique names but in the end, we ended up with Oliver Micheal and Fiona Marie. I still don't refer to them by their names because I still can't believe I'm pregnant with twins. I swear it won't be real until I'm at home with two new babies! Do you ever talk to your babies? My mom told me to start reading to them but something about it is so weird.

I had my first childbirth class last night and only 30 minutes were spent on c-sections, which I'm sure I will have. It was still interesting and informative. I already learned a lot in the Multiples Class anyway. Tomorrow is a class about newborns and a hospital tour. Honestly, I feel like I would have been fine without classes after all the reading I've done online and from books. Literally everything covered has been in the What to Expect When You're Expecting book. But it's nice to building relationships and they offer a new mommy group I will be going to after the babies are born.

It's nice to be having twins because you are suddenly more special and people really want to help. My family has gotten us cribs, mattresses, sheets, and a double stroller. Someone has already reserved our twin pack n play on our registry so that's amazing. We are just planning on buying the two car seats and will be set. It's amazing how many people have given us clothing and odds and ends.

I am having my family shower on 9/26 (just sent out invites) and my work shower on 10/8. I too want to be finished by 30 weeks which means September is going to be CRAZY! So many projects left to do...but the nursery is almost finished. It's getting so close! I probably only have 90 or so more days...OOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 am

If/when I get stretch marks, which Im sure I will because my mom got them- I hope they are skin colored! My bump is like rock solid and when I lay down I can feel exactly where the babies are. I mean I cant feel the babies, but its like a soccer ball in one spot and it slopes just before my ribs so I know its all baby/sacs/placenta. Its very weird. The other day I felt a jab, maybe a kick Im not sure but I felt the spot and I could feel something poking me. I even had my sister feel it. I would think it was a knee or elbow. Very weird. The carpel tunnel sounds awful, but I bet you are right that its something you just have to get through. Do you think you will last at work until the babies are born? that's one thing I think of. I wonder how long I will last.

Last night at my Mothers of Multiples group I got totally overwhelmed. Seeing the ladies that are further along than me made all of my aches and pains and heavy belly seem really irrelevant because I have so much ahead of me! It was also a little scary because some of the new moms made it to 39 weeks and others delivered 2lb babies at 30 weeks.... You really just never know. One woman brought her two week old twin boys and they had the same travel system that my in-laws have ordered for us, and it was HUGE. A double stroller, with two car seats and two babies is NO JOKE. They talked about what they term "triple feeding" where you try to breastfeed, pump, and bottle feed- they were talking about how every mom does it until they figure out what works but that its exhausting and to limit how long you do that as much as possible because you end up pumping/feeding literally all day/night. They call the first few months after the babies are born "survivial mode" because every day that you and the babies survive is a success haha. We got to ask questions to the MoM's who have older twins (3-6yearsr) and a lot of people asked about tandem breast feeding, but the mom who brought her twins with her asked "can you recommend a book or something to help me get my life together?" It was so innocent and funny and it really characterized the "survival mode" haha.

Its a good group to be a part of, I can tell they act like a family unit and they really support one another. With my family being so far away, I know that it will come in handy to have so many people that have been in similar shoes. I also cant wait for the consignment sale!

I Love the name Oliver!!! and Fiona is very pretty! Yay we both have named twins! How fun :)

Do you have any plans for the long weekend? I am sending my other half to our family shore house, and I am staying home with our two puppies to sleep, relax... and I might even go see a movie because I have been craving popcorn. I just need to get through the next seven hours of work which seems impossible right now
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Hope you had a nice weekend! Saturday is normally our shopping day if we need to get misc items from Target or such. I didn't do much during the days but lay in bed and watch crappy TV! As usual, my energy kicks in at around 6pm and then I am active all night and into the early morning. I've always been a night owl. I did manage to finish washing ALL our baby clothes, sort, fold, and organize. We are using cube organizers and fabric bins as drawers so I finished purchasing the drawers and then had to figure out how to organize. I am doing it by type of clothing (onesies, sleepers, bottoms, tops) and then by sexes and then unisex. Both babies have a couple bins for their specific items and then a couple bins with items they can share. I have gotten so many used clothes it's crazy, in a good way! I only put out the newborn and 0-3 clothing and packed up 3months+. We received our double stroller this weekend too! It was a gift from my mom. We are using the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller. I didn't want to side by side stroller and I wanted something that I could use from the very beginning up until they are toddlers. I really love it! It's long and like pushing a train but it will be perfect (even though it just barely fits into my little Kia). I am just waiting on the cribs and our nursery can be finished! Oh, yeah the car seats would be good too and I just put them on my registry for fun. I don't expect anyone to get them for us so I will be getting them early next month.

My carpal tunnel is one of those things you just get used to amazingly. I can't grip things all to well and putting in contacts is a pain in the butt but it's bearable. I get a little sore in my groin area but nothing horrible. I know it's going to get worse but maybe not?! I weighed myself and have gained ANOTHER 9 lbs so I am up a total of 13 lbs total at almost 7 months pregnant from my pre-pregnancy weight BUT I lost 11lbs in the beginning. So really, I've gained 24 lbs. Not terrible but what is the normal rate of gain with twins I wonder? I've also gained all this in 2 months. I've eaten a bit more but nothing crazy. I am just guessing it's from babies, increase in blood volume, etc. I may ask my doctor next visit what she thinks. Since I am overweight, I need to gain as little as possible so I am going to really watch what I eat from now on. How are you feeling, body wise? I plan on working until the end just because I want the time off after babies come. I sit at a desk all day with plenty of opportunities to get up and walk around. Plus, I really hate the weekends when I don't want to do anything and feel so lazy. I like being able to get out into the world.

I felt overwhelmed too in my multiples class. The twin parents said the same thing about surviving and that any day when everyone was alive was a good day. The key thing they also said is don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect and you'll figure it out. I am worried about the feeding part because newborns eat all the time!!!! I am already expecting to maybe just pump and not worry about having them feed directly from me. I am open to whatever works. I think it may be easier to pump so hubby can help. I guess all we can do is see. They did tell us in my newborn class that you don't want to introduce a baby to a bottle until like 6 weeks so that they don't get confused with the bottle and breast but if I have to bottle feed, I will do it. I'm not going to worry about making breastfeeding work. If babies love it, SUPER, if not, I will pump. I read a great blog about pumping from a twin mom and that once she got over her initial feelings about it, she wouldn't do it any other way. The twin mom who spoke also said that once you can get out with them, definitely do it and it will be nice because you'll always get attention and people wanting to help. They also said that it is really nice to have two toddlers because they entertain themselves and the parents aren't having to constantly keep the kids busy. I think a lot of people underestimate how crazy it is to take care of newborns and then get really overwhelmed. I totally expect it to be utter chaos at times but really, in the very beginning, they are going to sleep a lot! Even if they aren't on the same schedule (which I am told it's easier for them not to be), they will still be a sleep a lot during the day and there will be periods to get things done. We can do it!!!!!

Do you talk to your babies? I find it hard to call them by name. I don't know why??!?!?! I sometimes talk to them but I find it weird too. It's hard to imagine that the kicks you feel are from actual little babies.

Sorry to always write a book. I'm glad to have another twin mom to talk to as the other site I am on, there aren't any twin moms.
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:39 am

No worries about the book haha, I don't have other twin moms to talk to either and when I get overwhelmed its nice to read your thoughts on it too and know that 1. its normal to feel this way and 2. we will get through it.

I have the same feelings as you on the feeding. I mean I would love to bond and do breastfeeding, but at the end of the day as long as they are getting the nutrition they need, I am happy... so we will be trying the dreaded "triple feeding" until we figure out what works for us. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being pump & bottle especially since I will have family around for the first few weeks.

I love your idea for organizing the babies clothes. I thought of doing that in the closet of the nursery, I saw some designs on pintrest that I thought were really cute. I have my décor picked out, chevron and elephants with pops of hot pink & blue, all white furniture but we haven't figured out the organization pieces yet. How excited your nursery is so close to being complete!! we are starting the paint I think next weekend since dh will be out of town this coming weekend.

Im happy to hear that the carpel tunnel isn't giving you a hard time! Heartburn has been taking over my life and it really sucks. I finally relented today and took Prilosec. My OB told me last week to take it, but I tried to muscle through... no more of that. It helps but I still have a headache and stuffy nose, boo.

SO as of my last OB appointment I have gained like 11 pounds. I read that you should aim to gain 24 by 20 weeks. So I feel like Im on track, if not a little behind on that, but I feel like a beached whale. I feel huge. Im trying not to complain about it and Im reading other twin blogs and my weight gain is a little bit less than average, & I think everyone felt huge at this point...but it doesn't make me and more comfortable in my skin haha. I wish it was just belly weight but its everywhere. However, I know that gain is so good for the babies... so Im happy with it. They were 5oz each at 16 weeks which is a bit ahead of schedule so whatever is going on seems to be working.

Can I tell you how TERRIFIED I am for the 20 week scan?? Its still 12 days away but I am loosing my mind. Im just so scared something is going to be wrong with one of their development. :( :(
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:10 am

I was so nervous at the 20 week scan. I read stories about how ultrasound techs wouldn't say anything to the patient and yeah of course I was freaked out something was wrong. Luckily, our tech told us everything she was doing and while she didn't provide numbers, she did say as she went along that everything was moving right along. I won't tell you not to worry BUT they were doing well at the last scan so I'm sure they are still fine. It's a good thing their growth and weight is on track, that is very encouraging.

No matter if you are tall, short, thin, overweight, no lady wants to see those numbers increasing on the scale. Well, I was happy to finally be gaining weight but still not a big fan of seeing my huge belly in the mirror each night. My weight is mostly concentrated in my stomach area (didn't even get any going to my chest!) and it's expanding out and sideways! It's also getting in the way and things like shaving or picking up things are NOT easy anymore. It's still tough even when you know it's good for the babies. I am worried how much more weight I will gain and I google pictures of twin moms to see how big they were (I shouldn't do this!) but the good news is that most of the weight will come off after birth. I am not counting on this but I have read from many twin moms that they ended up weighing less a few months after birth than they did before becoming pregnant.

I didn't have heartburn...my issue is always acid reflux. Right before I got pregnant, I had a nice break from it until it came back a little before 15 weeks. Some weeks are better than others and other weeks I can't eat anything without having it. I usually get by on Tums but there was a time when I swear that gave me reflux! I think I am so used to my stupid hands now, they don't bother me as much. I have a hard time gripping things and putting earrings in is the most complicated task ever but it's a bit better now than it was. Hopefully my doctor has some good suggestions at my visit tomorrow.

Chevron is a good decision for a nursery especially because you can find those designs anywhere. That's why I picked a beachy theme because I knew I could buy sheets and such from all kinds of stores and not be limited in just one place. It's so exciting to get the nursery together. It makes it soooooooo real! I really love cube organizers instead of dressers mainly for price. I think they are easier for organization but that's just me. My aunt brought over our cribs last week and I was so excited to put them together and then she tells me I have to wait to 32 weeks because if I put them together now, it will guarantee the babies will come early. Ugh, I can't wait that long!!!!!! That is like the last thing I have to do to my nursery and it is the motivation I need to finish clearing our stuff out. I told her I may wait until 30 but I can't wait 4 more weeks!!!!!

Only two more weeks (give or take a couple days), until the baby shower! I was stunned to go on my registry and see how many items were reserved. I am telling you, being a twin mom is a huge blessing. People feel so inclined to do things and be way more generous. We've yet to purchase any major baby items and may not have to, even the car seats. But it's a trade off in a way because we will be spending all of our "extra" money on daycare!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:25 am

Hey! Sorry I have been MIA.

The 20w scan was good. It took like four hours, and she pressed SO hard on my belly its still sore. She had such a hard time getting measurements of baby boy, and at one point she was concerned that his chin might have been abnormally small. She called me back in for more photos, and the High Risk OB confirmed that his chin is just fine. He does have a chin on the smaller side, but not abnormally so. He said he isn't concerned at all, and he didn't put a note in the file or anything. However, it has taken me a couple days to get over the scare...

Furthermore, the cords are good, my cervix is 4.1cm long and closed, fluid levels are good, and babies hearts had 4 chambers, & brains and other organs were all good and measuring on time.

We also got in a minor car accident yesterday- someone hit us. But I have spoke to my OB, and have been drinking tons of water and have felt both babies move since... I see her on Tuesday for a regular check up anyway, but I'm not very concerned.. it was a light hit. I figure if the babies can handle the tech jabbing that u/s all over my belly, they can handle a little jolt from a rear end.

Try not to worry about the weight so much!!! Its a good thing that you are gaining... I have been gaining like a CHAMP. Twins are almost always small babies, so the more protein you can give them, the better off they will be. We have the rest of our lives to get in shape. I look at myself all the time and I feel like my legs and arms have gotten huge, but I know that chasing these babes around and eating a healthy diet after pregnancy will take it all away. How is your belly button??? My belly is getting so big it sticks straight out and my belly button is closing up quickly, it wont be long before it becomes an outie haha. My belly is also solid as a rock! When we got in the accident yesterday the cop was so concerned because of "how far along I am" I told her im only 5 months, but its twins so I look like Im about to give birth haha.

How was your visit with the OB?

I say put the cribs up! We are trying to have our nursery baby ready by 30 weeks. I am already uncomfortable and I want to get everything ready in case of bed rest or something. Our shower is actually in a few weeks and more than 30 ppl have already RSVP'd which is kind of a surprise to us... I am excited. I know its early, but I didn't want to get into the holidays with it, and I wanted to have decent weather- so it works!

Ugh I am sooooo tired...

PS, did you get heart echos for the babies? I have a friend who is also 20w and they are doing an echo. She said that most multiple pregnancies have it done... but my OB never mentioned it. However, they did find that one of her babies cords only has one artery, which might be why they are doing an echo, as the baby is more likely to have issues... so Im trying to figure out if I need to ask my OB for it or not.
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:54 am

Glad to hear from you! I knew the scan was coming up and was hoping to hear good news. That cervix length is GREAT! Mine was around that length at 20 weeks then went down to about 3.84 at 24 weeks then just slightly down some more at 28 weeks but still measuring well over 3 cm. I had some slight funneling at 28 weeks and my cervix went down to 2.7 cm when I bore down but it didn’t shorten when she put pressure on my stomach. Doctor said those measurements were still good and is not worried. I get one more cervix check at 32 weeks and that’s all she wrote. If it gets smaller they don’t care because twins come early anyway.

I can’t believe it took 4 hours! Mine was 45 minutes but the babies were in optimal positions to get everything measured. Did they say why a small chin would matter besides looks? Seems like something weird to notice. BUT, it’s good they were paying such attention to detail. Try not to worry because all the time they see things in ultrasounds and then babies come out being and looking fine.
I didn’t have an echo. Probably because we don’t have a history of heart issues in our families (heart disease but not structural issues) and their hearts looked good on the scan. Although a lot of these screens seems to vary among doctors. I was always made to believe twin pregnancy was immediately considered high risk but I have not gotten that impression from my doctor. I think it really depends on the mom and how the babies are doing. Some moms seem to have really rough twin pregnancies and others go perfectly fine.
Sorry to hear about your accident. I feel like most days I am more active and jerky than I would be in I was in a small accident. I have to call my doctor if I am ever in any accident. Better to be safe! You are right, those techs really do a number during a scan. I know they need to get good images but mine presses so hard. With twins too, there is more ground to cover so she goes all over the place. It sometimes is more unpleasant than a transvaginal ultrasound.

At my visit last week, I discovered that either I had a bunch of water retention due to the heat or my mom’s scale is super wrong. I haven’t gained 24lbs but 17. They say from here on out, you’ll gain about a pound a week so that is about 9 more pounds for me. That would be great! I was feeling really big that week and now I don’t feel that big. Someone actually was shocked I was having twins because I was “so small.” Yet the other day someone said I was enormous. Babies were 2lbs, 9oz and 2lbs, 10 oz so they are doing great! They’ve been measuring really well in terms of fetal weight this whole time. Their other measurements were good too and measuring between 27-29 weeks. Babies had also changed position quite a bit, Fiona is now breech but her body is wrapped around my uterus like a crescent, with her feet kicking my bladder and her head resting in the middle and Oliver is now transverse, with his head on my bladder and butt in the middle of my stomach. So I have feet and a head on my bladder! They were both curled up during the scan do we didn’t get any pictures and instead they printed off all the measurements. I did fail my 1hr glucose test but apparently that’s really common. My 3hr test is this Friday. I’m not too concerned. If I fail, I know how to manage diabetes since my husband has it. I don’t want a complication but I can’t help it as it really has nothing to do with diet and weight but with how the placenta affects how our body processes sugars.

My belly button is still an innie barely. My tummy is also super hard and when I flex, you can see the faint outline of baby butt and head. It gets really tight and uncomfortable sometimes like my stomach is going to bust open. I get this weird painful sensation around my belly button but then it will go away. If I stand up or am active, it gets really tight but just resting it doesn’t feel like that and is more flabby feeling.
Are babies becoming more active? I was around 20 weeks when I felt definite kicking. Now, WOW…they move a lot. Not all the time. At my scan, the tech showed me babies hiccupping so now I know how it feels. It’s much more rhythmic and less jerky. I’ve also been able to finally see movement and feel distinct movement from the outside. The other night, Oliver moved so hard it knocked the remote off my belly. They aren’t always that strong. Some days I get worried because they haven’t been as active but then they start up to show me all is well. They don’t tend to respond to stimuli like noises, food, or light, at least what I can tell. Although if I press enough or wiggle my tummy they tend to move in response. It’s like they are telling me to stop! Feeling their movements is probably my favorite part of being pregnant.

My baby shower is Saturday and I am putting up both cribs on Sunday. I want to be ready! I figure anything is possible now so why wait? We have almost everything we need, at least the essentials. Someone has reserved 1 car seat on the registry so we will buy the other, get the few odds and ends and be DONE! We still have a couple projects to finish around the house but nothing major. I have found a pediatrician - just need to call and set up a meeting and we are working on finding and touring daycares. We’ve narrowed it down to 3 with 1 we really hope to like (good price, good location). I want to be prepared by October 1st and then spend the month doing NOTHING!

If all goes according to plan, I have about 9 weeks left! We actually went ahead and scheduled my c-section for 11/23 (my doctor thinks I have a good chance to make it to 38 weeks). That date is great because kids will be out of school Wed-Friday that week for Thanksgiving and I don’t really like that holiday so I won’t have to cook!!!! I do know that the twins may decide to come earlier but it’s nice to have an “end date” in case they are stubborn.

It all still feels so crazy and surreal. Hard to believe by December, I’m going to be a mom, to twins!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:54 pm

I cannot believe you are so darn close! its insane! I am secretly really jealous of how far along you are haha, but I know my time will come!

Im going to take a bump photo for you!

So in regards to the chin. Basically he said it could potentially cause issues with feeding IF it were to be abnormally small, BUT he said that the second round of photos showed that, its NOT abnormally small. Of course I went to google... basically there is a really rare syndrome associated with an abnormally small chin, and the babies born with this syndrome either self correct over time, or they have surgery to correct within the first month or so if it causes feeding or breathing issues. After talking it out with my dad who is like my BFF, I feel a lot better. I really doubt that the MFM would have told me that he is not at all concerned -unless he really meant it. To be honest I think it was just the way things had played out that got me, I had just send dh away because it was taking so long and he was missing work, she had been pressing so hard on my belly for so long, and then she brought me back into the u/s room and didn't tell me what was going on or why... so I had to sit there by myself and wonder what the hell they were looking at... it was traumatic... At the end of the day, if they did think there was an issue... they would refer me to a MFM, and the doctor IS MFM, and he says there isn't an issue... so if there is anyone I can trust, it should be him. I just needed a few days to reach this place of "its all going to be okay" haha.

So I am not actually classified as high risk. My OB said I would be high risk, if I were pregnant with twins and over 35, but I'm 24. However, in our area, OB's outsource all major scans to MFM (high risk doctors). The high risk doctors have techs do scans, then they review the results and send them to the OB... so basically everyone is seen by a high risk doctor... Because I am pregnant with twins, I get more scans with the high risk OB, and I also get scans with the OB... but she is really only doing scans to confirm two heart beats, but not measurements or anything like that. I will see the OB this coming Tues and then I will start seeing her every two weeks... I will see the MFM on the 19th and then I will start seeing him every 2 weeks instead of every four weeks like I have been... I think after 32 weeks I will see them BOTH weekly until the babies arrive.... lots of appointments.

Thanks for sharing the info about your cervix! Im really proud of mine for holding up... even if I am only 20 weeks... I am so compact that I was really scared it would be weak or something. Its nice to know that we are at a solid measurement.

So my friend told me that all multiple's pregnancies get an echo... but my OB never mentioned it and when she told me that they found that one of her umbilical cords only has on artery, I looked that up and it said the patient should get an echo because the baby is more likely to have heart issues... so I figured that's why she is getting one and Im not... I wont tell her that of course, but it makes me feel better to know that they didn't see a need for you to get one either... at my 20w scan he said both hearts look wonderful, so I don't think he sees a need for an echo... but I might still bring it up to my RE anyway... mostly because she always asks if I have questions and I always give her a blank stare because I pretty much research everything on my own lol.

In regards to ppl saying you are big, and then small... some say the stupidest things. My MIL had the audacity to ask me the other day how much weight I have gained...... she is like a bean pole... I was not amused. I just know that I don't like it when people say how huge I am, and I also don't like it when people say Im small.... so I guess I would just prefer they say "what a cute baby belly" and leave it at that haha! Mood swings. The important thing is that the babies are a great weight for how far along you are! Seriously, way to go!

Speaking of which, my twins were each 11oz at the scan. He said they are well within range... but maybe on the smaller side which is normal for twins. On babycenter.com it says 20w they should weigh around 10oz... SO I know they are fine, but I seriously try to eat protein, protein, protein. I want them to have healthy birth weights so bad! I have a friend who delivered recently (just one baby) and she was 34w and the baby was just around 3.5lbs... she told me how much she regretted not eating more during her pregnancy, and it got my attention. I know there is only so much we can do.

Im sorry you failed the 1hr test.... I know it sucks but I read that twin pregnancies are such high risk for GD... with two placentas its like inevitable. I also have PCOS, so I have pretty much come to the conclusion I will have it as well, its manageable.

So exciting you guys can see kicks from the outside! Does your husband just love that! I think its my #1 fav thing about pregnancy... that and I am pretty in love with my bump haha. I feel the babies all the time. My boy has a posterior placenta, so I think that's why I feel him more... I have been feeling movement since my 12th week but I have been feeling legit kicks 24/7 from him since Monday of last week... which was 19w. It was like 19w on the dot that he amped it up, and its every day since. I love it!!! I also feel her several times a day too, she doesn't kick as much, she is pretty laid back... but when she does kick, she means business. Of course they aren't big enough to see yet and it doesn't hurt, but its a nice little *thump* to say "hi, mom!". You should record them moving in your belly at least once, so that you can show them when they are older, how cool would that be? So you can really see a head and a bum? That is AMAZING! once, my girl thumped me and I put my finger to the point of impact, and I swear I could feel a shoulder or a knee, my sister got to feel it too.

Will you post a photo of the nursery? I plan to take tons of photos of ours. I am seriously obsessing on it haha. I got these mobiles off etsy, I might have already mentioned them... I cant wait for them. They are so pretty and unique. Please don't leave me when you have the babies! Ill need company until I deliver :)

Okay, I think this is getting super long... and Its almost time to leave my office haha (employee of the month over here) but I am really excited you are getting everything arranged with daycare! Keep me posted on the final decision! We will get to compare stay at home mom life to daycare and working mom life... I hear there are a lot of pro's and cons to each. 11/23 is literally right around the corner.... :D :D :D
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby reapage » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:25 am

I think we were just talking about belly buttons, Last night I was sitting on the couch and looked down to see something poking out of my shirt, which I lifted it I saw my innie has become an outie!!!! I am obnoxiously excited haha
Attachments
bump.jpg
bump.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 340 times
bump2.jpg
bump2.jpg (15.37 KiB) Viewed 340 times
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979