One Nursery or Two?

Pregnant with multiples? Connect with other moms and moms-to-be of multiples.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, GreekMythFreak

Re: One Nursery or Two?

Postby reapage » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:03 am

Sorry it's taken me a bit to update!

We saw the high risk OB on Monday and he did another scan. Basically my cervix is dynamic... Meaning it changes. When they first started the scan I was measuring almost 4cm! But as soon as they have me apply pressure everytnjng changes, I started funneling down to about 2.1cm, they want that number to be above 2.5cm. So that's where we are at. I started progesterone suppositories which succcccckkk and I started procardia which is actually a blood pressure medication they use to try to avoid pre term labor. Both should help my body not to contract. He seems to think that since I have no history of short cervix & have had no leeps or biopsies on my cervix that my sitting at a desk all day at work and commuting in a car is what got us in this situation, so I am definitely done with work.

I'm staying on bedrest indefinitely. We will do a cervix check every week. On Monday I go for my 24w appointment and cervix check, and on Tuesday I go see my OB to get my first round of steroid injections to mature the babies lungs incase we do go into preterm labor. Our first goal is 28 weeks, and our second goal is 32. He is really optimistic that we can make it to 32. I am as well, as long as I stick to strict bedrest. I get up to pee and that's about it. My sister has been staying with us since she went though a breakup and her house is rented out, that's been a big help, and between her and dh they keep
Me fed & keep food by the couch when they are at work. It's hard work bedrest lol harder than I could have imagined... But it will be worth it. I think the hardest part is staying positive.

All I want to go do is set up the nursery and take photos! Ugh. Everytnjng is in there and I walk by it on the way to the bathroom and the cribs are in
There and set up. But I have clothes to hang and wash and things to put away. Maybe my 32 week gift to myself will be to spend a day doing light work in there.

How are you feeling? Still roughing it out at work?? You are getting so close! I wish I was as far as you, but all in due time!
Me:23 PCOS DH:32 MFI
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

FIRST U/S @6W2D SHOWS TWINS!!!!
Baby A :hb: 128
Baby B :hb: 112
SECOND U/S @7W2D TWINS ARE PERFECT!
Baby A :hb: 166
Baby B :hb: 151

ITS A BOY AND A GIRL! :babyb: :babyg: :balloons:

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 am

You know, you wouldn’t think there would be that much pressure on the cervix just by sitting! Amazing what you learn in pregnancy!

I still think that it’s good being 2.1 and above. I did a bunch of reading and research about cervix length several months ago and it sounds like there can be a lot of variation in what doctors want to see and then how they treat it. It sounds as though they are being very proactive, which is wonderful.

I know this sounds silly but this is good news in that a potential issue has been identified and treated or in progress of being treated. It sounds like you shouldn’t have an issue getting to 28 weeks and probably not 32 or beyond! 24 weeks is a huge milestone! Just take it day by day, week by week. It’s good to hear you have help – that is super important and glad they are taking care of you and babies. You’ll just have to sit in the nursery and tell DH what to do! Or have him take photos.

I know bed rest sucks but just think, it’s best for babies. They just need to stay in a bit longer. Maybe you’ll be so fed up with being still that by the time they come, you’ll look forward to feedings and poopy diapers!

We are all doing ok. I’m feeling every bit as pregnant as I am. It hit me last week and it’s getting “worse” in terms of groin soreness, walking, and general activity. Nothing hurts or is painful just sore. Shortness of breath is crazy. Last night, we went to Target and I had the strangest feeling. I couldn’t tell if it was a sharp kick or contraction. It didn’t feel like a contraction but it was very intense, radiated down into my cervix. Not painful necessarily but it made me clench everything down there! I had a couple of them back to back. Nothing along with it, no discharge. When I got home, I started getting shaky and felt out of it. I think I just needed to eat so I gorged on whatever I could find. My blood pressure was normal so I am guessing just low blood sugar. Nothing weird since. I feel a little paranoid because I know anything can happen at this point. But deep down, I don’t feel like these babies want to come early. They still have room to grow so I think they’ll take advantage of that. I’m going to continue to try to be active until I can’t stand it. I just feel like a whale!
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:03 am

I would have thought that I would get better at updating being on bedrest all day, but I almosf never use my laptop any more. It's always in the other room so my updates are limited to my iPhone lol. Anyway, how are you feeling? I bet it's getting really real now. Do you have a new bump photo?? I wonder if it was a contraction you were having at target? My OB said that every time a baby kicks we contract a bit... So a big kick could have caused a contraction for sure. Ah I'm so excited' did you ever tell me if you are doing a c section or
Trying to go at it vaginally? We are doing a scheduled C. My family in the last few years has had a list of complications with vaginal birth and it scares me... When we found out it was twins I made the decision right then and there. A lot of women are about to accomplish it vaginally tho! I am just to afraid of something happening... Also up to this ppint, baby B has lived her life in a breech position, & I don't think she plans on moving anytime soon, she's stubborn.

So my update, still on bedrest, progesterone and procardia. I went to my now regular cervix check on Monday ans my cervix was holding strong at 3.7, they decided not to have my apply pressure since it looked about the same as before. So that was pretty good news. Then they did my 24w scan and both babies are growing perfectly! We have a 1lb8oz and 1lb7oz baby in there. Lastly they did a fetal fibronectin swab which tells them if I'm going to go into labor in the next two weeks, that was negative! Super good news! I'm feeling really confident we are going to make it to 30 weeks and Beyond. For now they have decided not to do the steroid shots, we will reevaluate every week based on my cervix!

I hope you are well and those babies are still cooking!
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

It’s good to hear from you! I was just wondering how it was going.

I am thinking it was just a strong kick because they continue to do it and it doesn’t feel like a contraction. In fact, I’ve had none of those. Had slight cramping the other day and that’s it. Their movements are much sharper these days and they are shifting positions a lot more. I can feel heads or butts in my sides and then back in the middle. I wonder if they are trying to turn head down. As far as I can tell, they are both still breech. Not sure when my next scan will be. My next doctor’s appointment is next week but I’m sure it will just be giving a urine sample, checking vitals, etc. I might mention my itching as I am getting it again but now everywhere. It’s not horrible just annoying. Could just be a normal pregnancy symptom as it apparently was when I had it at 20 weeks.

I am just taking it day by day now. I am not miserable but I have my moments. Sleep is a big problem and getting comfortable. I have to prop up the bump because it feels like sometimes I am squishing a baby. Mobility is getting more limited. Turning over in bed is the worst. But, after the journey to get here, I refuse to complain. I didn’t spend all those times crying over failed cycles to whine about all this. Sure, pregnancy can be tough but dammit, I worked hard to feel like crap! HAHA, that’s what I tell my husband anyway. Really, I’m just ready to be off work. I can deal with my physical issues if I didn’t have to worry about working each day. I bumped up my leave by 1 week so that is helping me mentally. I only have 3 weeks of work left!

We have toured some more daycares and I found one I love but of course it’s the most expensive and furthest away of the ones we liked. But I think piece of mind is more important and I really have a good feeling about them. The commute isn’t terrible (adds 20 minutes and 8 miles) and the price is still within our budget. There is a closer and cheaper one but I just didn’t love it. I think sending my kiddos to a place where I wouldn’t worry about them is worth the extra $20-30 a week!

We are doing a scheduled c-section on 11/23 if we make it that far (I think we will but one never knows). I don’t have any desire to try vaginally because there are more complications as you said. What really turned me off of trying is that even if both babies are head down, once baby A comes out, baby B can flip leading to a c-section anyway. I just think for twins, c-section benefits outweigh any of the negatives. Plus, I don’t have a huge desire for a vaginal birth anyway. I want babies here as safe and quickly as possible. I also have no desire to experience going into labor either. I am still a mother and woman no matter what. People get too caught up in the birthing process but we’ve carried these babies for the last 8-9 months. That in itself is hard enough work!

Dang, 3.7 is awesome! Your twins are almost exactly the same weight as mine were at 24 weeks. Watch, pretty soon you’ll have two - 4 pounders in there and wonder how that’s possible. I look at my tummy each day and can’t believe there are 2 babies in there. I think you’ll easily make it to 30 weeks and beyond. Do you have to stay on bedrest though? Can you modify it some? I know you must be going crazy and are bored out of your mind.

Oh and no updated bump picture. I am waiting for 36 weeks, which will be the start of month 9. I haven’t gotten much bigger and I don’t think I’ve put on too much more weight. Call me crazy but sometimes I look in the mirror and feel like my belly should be so much bigger. I can still (barely) wear my dressy black pants although I think this week is the last time I can put them on. I can’t see me getting crazy big this last month but I could be wrong!
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:17 am

Keep an eye on the itching and chexk with your dr at your next appt. my sister in law had it and it was the result of her liver not working properly. It's actually pretty common in pregnancy. I'm sure it's nothing but just in case!

I forgot to post my recent belly photo. I will do that! Man I really hope they can get to 4+lbs. ugh I hate this... The unknown. Sometimes I'm sure I'll make it way past 30w and other times I just don't know. I cant believe you are still working... Holly crap. I don't know how you do it. Seriously bed rest is hard, yes and boring and I have a million things I want to be doing and can't, but I would take it over being at work any day! By 20w I was at the end of my rope. You should be so proud!

I completely agree that you should go with the daycare that gives you good vibes! Especially since the babies will be so young when you go back to work. You really need to have a place you trust, because yah, you worked your ass off for these babies and you want to keep them safe! I'm so going to be a slight helicopter mom for those reasons haha.

I feel you on the aches and pains. Seriously turning over in bed is the WORST. My hips hurt from laying on one side, but the process of turning over and getting a pillow under my belly asap is so painful. I know it's cuz I'm shifting two babies, two placentas and two sacs, but sometimes I think I'm goin to pull something lol. I think that being on bedrest makes me paranoid to the normal aches and pains and I try to remember that everyone who is pregnant with twins is uncomfortable and it's normal and we are okay! I have also felt my first bouts of baby B turning over or sticking her butt out... It's like unbelievable pressure and I look down and there is literally a jump in my belly haha. It's awesome but really uncomfortable haha

I'm on bedrest for the foreseeable future. Basically until we give birth. I think by the time I get to 32-34 weeks I will kind transition myself to partial bedrest instead of full bedrest... But for now Im limited to the couch and bed. I shower every other day which is hard for me because I love my showers. I wake up each morning, make my bed, get dressed and pack a cooler with enough food (sandwich, lunchable, protoien bar & shake & 5 bottles of water) and then I take it to the couch. I stay on the couch for the rest of the day only getting up to pee. Then at night I transition to the bed. The hardest part really is feeling guilty for the activity that I do do... Like getting food ready and such. Also I hate when my dh comes home from work and I have to ask him to do things for me... I just feel so lazy but really it's not that way at all... He is so great tho & always does what I need, which I try to make not much. So there is a peak into the life hahha

This twin thing. Isn't is the most amazing and unique experience? Regardless of it all, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I just love what our bodies are doing.

Now that you mention it I'm almost sure you told me they scheduled the C. That's like a month away. Woooow! So exciting! I was watching Greys anatomy and there is an episod where a lady is in labor and they are telling her her baby is in distress and she needs a c section and she just keeps yelling "but no, I have a birth plan, I have a birth plan, I won't let you trick me into a surgery" I just want to reach through the tv and slap her. And so so many women are that way! They put their desire for a "natural" birth ahead of their babies safety.. And when people do that with twins it's even worse.. My OB said there is nothing harder on the mom and babies and more dangerous than having one baby vaginally and one via c section. Why risk it? I digress.

I think when the babies are out, you'll look back and realize how big you are... I do the same thing. I look at myself in the mirror and feel so small, but when I take photos and look at them I feel big.

Anyway, this is me at 24.5 weeks!
Attachments
image.jpg
(189.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I was checked for liver function at 20/21 weeks and it came back fine. I’m sure they’ll check my blood again although this time I feel like the itching is related to weather. Better be safe than sorry!

With your cervix measuring so well and being on bedrest, I just can’t fathom you not making it that far. Either way, every week you make it is another huge milestone. The only thing I can say for me is that I’ve carried so much damn extra weight around that I am used to it and it’s become a benefit for me. Plus, as I’ve become super aware, my body apparently was made for twins. Getting up and going in the morning is a pain in the ass but once I get to work and settled, it’s usually not too bad. Sure, my motivation is lacking and my brain is fried, but I just want to get as much time now to have more time after delivery. Trust me, I’d rather be at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found a couple more daycares to call and tour and then I think we will make a decision. Luckily we have a bit of time and none of the ones we like have waiting lists. I will definitely be the overprotective mom!

I can’t remember when it was that the aches, pains, and general discomfort started. My2nd trimester went pretty well. Even at 29 weeks I remember feeling pretty good. Sure, not as limber as I once was but still good. Somewhere between 29-30 weeks it went downhill and I think my body finally was like “whoa, ok, yeah you got two babies cooking.” I’ve also put on the most weight in the last two or so months. That’s the thing you hear about in pregnancy, loosing mobility and such but it’s not the same until you experience it. I am happy that I get to experience a twin pregnancy and will never know what a single pregnancy is like. It’s like you’re part of a special club! Everyone keeps telling me it takes a special lady to be a twin mom!

I hate asking people for help that’s why I wanted to avoid bedrest. I knew that I would become a crazy monster and I knew that it was a lot harder than people think. I have to commend you for sticking with because I think I would have probably broken so many “rules.” At least you are getting out into another room. Seems like something insignificant but I know just a small change can really help mentally. What do you do during the day to keep occupied? I’m sure you can only watch so much tv and browse so much internet!

I’m all for people to pick how they want to give birth especially as long as they don’t tell me how I need to give birth! But yeah, the argument that women have been giving birth for thousands of years and our bodies know what to do? No, they don’t always know what to do! People make a big fuss over c-sections but sometimes, they just are necessary! My mom doesn’t like me doing it but too damn bad. I know I am going to be sore as hell but dammit, that’s why I will have pain killers! That’s why I have a husband and stepkids to do the other housework for me. That’s why I am researching all about what to expect so I am not surprised. Vaginal births aren’t always easier either.

You look great!! You are right, in looking back we are going to be like OMG we were huge. I did tell my husband I now appreciate my pre-pregnancy weight and figure way more now. I also know that I will lose a lot so the number I see right now on the scale won’t stay that way. I hope I am the lucky ones who loses a lot of weight by breastfeeding!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks for the good vibes about my cervix. Sometimes I feel really positive and they give me the idea that im doing so well, but other times I feel worried because I know things can change at any moment. But I guess that's true with any aspect of a twin pregnancy. I can't wait to go in on Monday ans have another look at my cervix and make sure it's holding up still. I'll tell you the first week of bedrest was super hard and super boring, but this week went by so fast, and I actually kind of enjoyed my alone time.

It's great that you have so many options with childcare! It's completely opposite here. First of all, the waiting lists are insane, and secondly childcare averages about $1800-$2000 per child per month here. There is no way we could do it. I know a lady paying a little over 2k a month and she said her child keeps coming home with diaper rashes. God I would be so pissed. Paying that kind of money they should be on top of their game 100% of the time. She's on a wait list for a new center now. I think it's just because its so crowded here and there are so many many working families. I mean We didn't ever think we could afford for me to stay home... But we know damn well we can't afford to drop 4k a month on childcare. That's double our mortgage and we have a nice house! Lol I do want to keep my kids social tho. So I plan to do a lot of play dates with my MOM group and I have a friend who runs a work out group for moms and babies. Well the moms work out but you bring your babies to play haha. Plus we have tons and tons of museums in DC right at our fingertips.

It's funny you are so much tougher than me. My body has known it was twins from day one. Worst morning sickness that lasted forever, then the aches and pains and my cervix and blah blah. No, not made to carry twins over here. I have always been small, and so I think the extra weight on my small body is just a lot. My belly is like cone shaped haha. But I have seen girls smaller than me do it, so I know it's possible. My body just does not have your momentum.

I know we will both loose a lot of weight with breast feeding. Especially meeting the demands of two babies. I'm positive. Plus we can go one walks with the double stroller and stuff! Question, has your milk come in? Some of the girls I know already have some leekage but I havent. My boobs aren't even very sore anymore, they used to ache all the time. I hope I am able to produce.

The numbers you see ok the scare really won't stay this way, and you are doing so good at making heathy, chubby babies... Be so proud. When they weigh me I never look haha. I just prefer not to know!

Anyway happy Sat. We have everything here for the nursery, we just need to organize it all, I'll try to get photos! I'll be sitting in the glider. Directing the show :)
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:20 am

Childcare sucks all around! Unless you are rich or low income and can get assistance (which there are apparently tons of programs), it’s seems impossible. We make way too much to get help but definitely not enough to be comfortable and afford daycare. If my mom wasn’t going to help, I don’t know what we would do. Sell a car or something! I think for us, the average seems to be about $150ish a week. One place we looked at was going to be $350 each week per kid!!!!! HELL NO! The one we like is $170 for the first and $153 for the 2nd (most places offer a 10% 2nd child discount). I can’t not work or else I wouldn’t. Luckily, it’s only for a few years before they begin free public education. Plus you get great tax breaks for childcare and you get more back on tax returns. The place we like does diaper changes each hour no matter what. I feel like that is overkill but I love that they are so diligent about it and they log everything! Maybe I will find something cheaper or some kind of other alternative at some point. You are right, DC does have a lot of museums, and free too, right? It’s been a long time since I’ve been up there. My brother and SIL live there. Hopefully, I’ll make it up for a visit with them sometime soon!

I wouldn’t say I am tougher and I don’t know why I haven’t had many issues with this pregnancy. I could be pregnant with one baby and be a mess! I think some of these pregnancy hormones have been great for me. You hear sometimes about women having medical conditions that go into remission during pregnancy. I’m feeling pretty over it now though. I can’t get to sleep and it sucks. I felt like crap Friday but I was feeling good enough last night to put together a shelving unit. Only had 3 or so hrs of sleep last night. I’m still itching. I know a rise in estrogen causes it if it isn’t my liver. The sad part is I almost hope it’s my liver and maybe it will be a good excuse for babies to be born earlier. I also keep feel like I am getting sick. I keep getting this weird feeling in my head and my face gets flushed. Almost like I am coming down with a head cold or sinus issue. My BP has been normal so I know it’s not due to my blood pressure. I had horrible swelling Friday but it’s gone away. It was so bad I had ice packs on my feet! But I won’t complain. Even when I am crying and whining to get to sleep, I refuse to complain! Just a promise I made when I was TTC.

I plan on going for walks as soon as I am able even though it will be late fall/early winter. Or I will take them to the mall. Something to get out of the house. Being mobile after a c-section really helps from what I am reading. No leakage here. I am too scared to put pressure anywhere there because I’m freaked out to see anything come out. I know that sounds stupid. My chest also hasn’t grown, at all. But I know that usually they may not until milk comes in a couple days after birth. I’m hoping to get below pre-pregnancy weight as it would be give me the motivation to lose more!

I can’t help but look when they weigh me. I’m curious what I will see tomorrow. I haven’t weighed myself in almost 3 weeks and I don’t notice anything super different. Going to make sure to drink a lot of water today and tonight to flush all the extra water out of my system!

I need to finish clearing my nursery out. Maybe by this weekend! The problem is getting it cleared is tied to finishing the garage organization and jeez, that project feels and is overwhelming. We have too much crap! Sometimes I just want to get rid of all of it and most of it isn’t even mine! Oh well!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 pm

You are at 34 weeks. My goodness. If you had the babies in the next two weeks, they would lilely need little to no NICU time. So if the itching is your liver. You will be fine to deliver. I can't belibe you are so close. So jealous over here.

For both babies the daycare prices you are looking at aren't bad at all. I feel like if we paid that here, then kids would be babysat in some lady's basement haha. It's just so expensive. We have the same issue as you guys, on paper we make way way too much to qualify for any programs or discounts. But it's also not enough to pay for daycare, our day to day life, mortgage and car. We don't even carry much debt or anything and we live comfortably but not beyond our means, yet I feel like my sister who I don't speak to, who has no job (never has) has six kids with different dads and lives on welfare lives much more comfortably than us. Llol they have her in a brand new home, all new appliances, she gets food stamps and monthly social security checks.... But we are productive citizens who pay taxes so we pay full price for everything lol. It's the way the world works these days. But at the end of the day, when I start to get jaded & overwhelmed, I remind myself how thankful I am that we do contribute to our society, we have such a strong relationship, and we work for what we have. Okay rant over lol.

You should try compression socks for the swelling. I started them because my legs were getting restless and they helped so so much! I got mine on Amazon and did one day shipping but I think target has them.

I have been thinking a lot about my post pregnancy body as well. I can't wait to loose the weight! I think I have gained 25ish pounds. But I try not to pay much attention when they weigh me. Tho I ovcasiojally peek haha. I haven't noticed any stretch marks yet. Which is surprising because my skin is really tight. But I heard that sometimes they don't show until after you give birth..... Ugh. I guess if it happens it happens.... As long as I can get to a good weight, I don't care so much about the stretch marks. My mom had them, so
I have expected it.

We got the nursery almost finished this weekend. We have more clothes to hang. James has so much more than Addie because we got used clothes from our cousin... I'm trying to decide if I need to order her more or not. The way it's looking, we might need to get some premie clothes.. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it. What I really want to do is get a couple things to hang on the walls in the nursery, pictures, a mirror and "A&J" letters above the bookshelf... But to get that stuff I need to leave the house and go to the store.. And I can't do that. God it's so limiting. I figure when I get to 32-34 weeks (if I do) I'll reduce my bed rest a lot. If I don't make it that far, it will give me something to do while the babies are in NICU. Luckily we live by and are delivering close to Fairfax INOVA which is known for a really good NICU.

So today we had a cervix check with the high risk OB. He still isn't impressed. He said my uterus is really crampy and not happy.... And my cervix is still changing a lot. It funnels and kind of opens and closes. Literally when they insert the probe it looks fine, and the longer the are in there and take pics, It gets worse and worse and worse. One measurement will be like above 3cm and the next measurment will be like 1.6cm. It's so weird... Anyway he thinks it's really sensitive to anything being inserted into the vagina. He estimates that when we don't mess with it, it's between 2.6 and 3. (I feel like it's such conflicting measurments every week) We have decieed to do bi-weekly measurements instead of weekly. Mostly because I see my regular OB bi-weekly and up until now I was seeing him weekly, and that's a lot of time out of bed... So now I will alternate and see one of them every week. Also, he wants my regular OB to do the fetal fibronectin swabs (to see if labor will happen in the next two weeks) every two weeks. He says this is going to give us a better indication of when to do steroids for the babies lungs, as they work best when administered within two weeks of delivery. A positive test isn't absolute, but it is indicative of impending labor, so he says it's our best piece of info right now, the cervix checks are kind of more for peace of mind and planning. I got the test last Monday and it was negative. So I will get it next Tuesday again. My cervix is just so annoying. He said he really thought that it would have improved since I stopped working... But no dice, however he doesn't think it's gotten much worse, so we just keep on keeping on. Right now every week is a win. I really really hope I make it to at least 32w... I would give the entire world to make it to 34. My sister drove my to my appt and I sat at an incline the whole time, so we decided to break the rules and she took me to get a pedicure- which I sat at an incline for as well so I don't feel too guilty. It was amazing and really the lift I needed... But after a shower, getting ready, being in the car, getting he scan and getting my toes done... My tummy is crampy and my cervix/vagina is sore. It's crazy how run down my body is. My RE always said she was scared for us to get pregnant wth twins because of how small I am, and at the time I felt invincable... I was an active 23 year old (I turned 24 in Aug) and I was sure I could take it... And mentally I am still in the game, but I feel like my body is just not cooperating. I still have a lot of fight left in me tho. & I think spending the rest of the week in bed will restore what energy I used today.

Good luck on the garage... Still amazing thay you are able to take on that stuff. Better pack a hospital bag soon! It could be any day now!
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:41 pm

These babies are in it to win it, I am totally convinced they have no desire to come early! I had a doctor appointment today. My blood pressure is great (118/80) and I guess my weight gain is ok. I’m up 33 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight, that is including the 15 lbs I lost (gained all that back and then 18 lbs). I’m satisfied with that. Whatever babies need to be ok! They didn’t test my liver since we already have so we’ll monitor the itching. It seems to be where I am swollen and where skin is stretching so they think it’s normal. I have a growth scan in 2 weeks, 1 more appt after that, and my c-section! I’m just happy I get to see babies one last time. They listened to their heartbeats and they were right on track. My uterus is measuring good too, big of course due to two but she was happy with it. They told me to just watch for any signs of labor but again, I really don’t think kiddos are going anywhere! I also got them to write a prescription for a breast pump for my insurance and was pleased to find out they will take care of ordering it for me too! I called the pediatrician and set up a meeting for Thursday. IT’S GETTING REAL OVER HERE!!!!!!!!

Being “middle class” (I guess that’s what we are considered) is hard in today’s society. My husband always tells me when he had to use food stamps when his kids were young, that they ate “like kings.” I have no issue with these types of programs. I just wish that people realized that sure, you make “enough” but the cost of living is crazy. Everyone seems to have crippling student loans. Our problem is that we are still in that phase of building a life together. We just purchased our house 3 years ago and then 2 cars. Once things are paid off in a couple years, we will have more to work with, I hope at least!

I’ve always had stretch marks but they are skin colored so not super noticeable. I thought I wouldn’t get anymore or they wouldn’t get bigger. I was wrong. I only have one that has color to it but it’s only like 2 inches long. I don’t really care because I wasn’t a model to begin with but it still sucks. Oh well, baking twins here so I could care less what my stomach looks like!

I wouldn’t get any premie clothes until you absolutely have to and then don’t get too much, just basics. I was going to get some but then decided to wait and see closer to their birth. Looks like we might not need any but we still need newborn size and I was surprised to see how much we lacked in that size. Tons of 3 months and 0-3 but 0-3 is definitely not the same as NB. I have so many clothes it’s not funny. Just received 2 boxes of boy’s clothes from a coworker. I now have a 9 cube organizer full of 0-3 clothes, two totes underneath their cribs with additional 3-12mo clothing, a tote in the garage of 3-12 month clothing, and then two MORE totes for 12-24+! The only thing I don’t have is shoes but my husband says not to worry about that until they are a couple months old.

I say if you get to 32 weeks, go get all those décor items! You’ll definitely deserve it by then. That is the part that would bother me and wanting to do things and not be able to do it! And with that kind of thing you can’t just send someone out to get it for you. Part of the fun, at least for me, was walking around looking at what I wanted to put in the nursery. Hopefully you don’t have to worry about any NICU stays!!!!

That’s so weird about your cervix being so temperamental. But good they are monitoring it so closely. My cervix would get really sore and my whole groin would be sore every time they would do a cervix check on me. I can’t say my uterus gets crampy though. I did in the early weeks when I would get upset. Was the weirdest thing. I had some mild cramping last week. I am glad you got to pamper yourself though! You know what I have found out is how shitty it feels when your body doesn’t want to cooperate. That’s part of why I was so frustrated when I couldn’t get pregnant. Like hello body, you have 1 job! Then when you get pregnant you realize your body doesn’t always want to play nice. I think having a strong mental attitude helps though and I think that is what is helping you even though your body is trying to tell itself it’s done. Day by day…that’s all either of us can do!

No packing that bag until 11/22/15! My diaper bag is ready to go though.
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:15 pm

How did the pediatrician go? I have no clue who I am going to use...
Yay for a breast pump though ins!! I think we are going to use the hospital grade rented one, if I don't like it tho I might do the ins thing too, its really cool they cover that. Do you have more appts this week?? Are the babies still cooking? So exciting, you are literally right there!

I totally spoke too soon, I have a couple stretch marks now on my hips, and two that I have seen in the middle of my belly. My belly is SOOOOOOO stretched out, you cant even pinch the skin at all! And my belly button sticks out like a sore thumb haha. So Im not surprised the stretchies finally joined the party. I figure as long as I get down to my pre pregnancy weight, I don't really care about stretch marks of the C scar.

You are almost done with work right? I vote you just sleep from the moment you stop working until you have the babies hah, you deserve it! I have no clue how you are still working. Im 26 weeks and seriously I am up all night peeing and trying to get comfortable, and then I sleep on and off during the day and Im still exhausted. Going to the OB today took so much out of me, I came home and slept for four hours. It was great. I just got up a little bit ago and Im already ready for bed again haha.

I ordered a nursing bra today and a robe, I figure it would be helpful to have both in the hospital and the first days after the babies are born. My pregnancy app says its good for twin moms to pack a hospital bag around 26 weeks, but I think Ill do as you are doing and wait it out. right now I don't know how far we are going to get, so I could be on hospital bedrest for weeks, or I could go full term... so for now we are waiting. I haven't even thought of getting the diaper bag ready haha.

Hope all is well on your side of things!

We did another fetal fibronectin swab today, we will get the results tomorrow. Prayers for a negative and two more weeks of not going into labor! I guess if its positive its still only a 50% chance of going into labor within two weeks, but a negative result is obviously what we are looking for.
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 pm

The meeting with the pediatrician went well. It was awkward because I didn’t know what to expect and we went into an exam room and we just started talking. But he comes highly recommended, the office is close-ish, and the staff were great – all so excited about twins! Plus, he is able to come to the hospital when they are born to check on them.

So this is weird…the medical supply company called and said they received my prescription but due to my insurance, I can’t my pump get it UNTIL the babies are born. It makes sense but still odd. She said even a minute after they are born, someone can just come pick it up and they are right down the street from the hospital. Works for me! I didn’t really understand the rental thing and would rather just have my own pump and since it’s free, I figured I would go that route. I have no clue about pumping. I’ve been saving pins about it on Pinterest that I need to go back and read. I also need to go get nursing supplies. Bottles, parts, bras, etc. I may do that next weekend.

My next appointment is 11/11 at 36 weeks. I’ll also have a scan to assess their growth. I hope they are well over 5 lbs. The goal is to get them to 6 lbs and projections that I have done based on their past weight shows they could be 7 pounders! Whatever keeps them out of the NICU and preemie clothing (since I didn’t buy any), work for me! They are still baking and I am having ZERO signs of early labor. No contractions. No discharge. No pressure, NOTHING! They are both still breech although one may be transverse (can’t tell if I am feeling a butt or head). My belly is huge and my lower belly is much firmer and tender. I have to keep my underwear and pjs below my bump because that’s how uncomfortable that spot it. Ugh, my stretch marks are just, ugh. I don’t even care anymore. I still have a lot of flub going on too even on the tightest part of my bump, which is right above my belly button. It hasn’t popped out and I don’t think it will. It’s just really funny, instead of expanding out, my stomach is expanding down. But people are still telling me I look good so I will take it!

I was fine until 31-32 weeks then everything has just gone downhill. My last day is 11/13. It’s not been easy this last month. Definitely not easy this week. I am not able to sleep at all during the night but once the light comes up, I sleep pretty ok. I come into work late and either work late or make up my time on the weekends. Trust me, I am ready to be off work and the first two days of maternity leave will be devoted to deep cleaning and the rest I’m doing NOTHING. I hate not doing anything but I need to realize it will be a long time before I can do that.

I need a robe too and slippers. I am debating on getting a pedicure the week before. I never do that but it might be a nice last minute boost to make me feel good. I don’t even know where my mini suitcase is to pack. The only things I have in my diaper bag are outfits, burp clothes, and some small blankets. I am going to pack bigger, thicker blankets in my suitcase. I read not to pack diapers or anything like that since you’ll get them from the hospital. I’m also not packing much for me - just some clothes and essential toiletries. I won’t be taking anything for my husband as he will stay at home during the night. My mom will be with me in the hospital and I will have nurses so he is better used at home taking care of the other kids and pets (mostly the pets).

I hope your fetal fibronectin swab was negative and I bet it was! Pretty soon, you’re going to be 30 weeks. You may go a lot further than you expect. One day at a time….
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby reapage » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm glad the pediatrician went well! I probbaly need to do that sometime next month. Honestly I thought it was something you do after the babies are born haha. Shows how little I know!

I have heard that with the ins funded pumps you have to wait until the baby is born. Really it's fine because the hospital will let you use theirs while you and the babies are there for the first few days and within that time frame your husband can go and get the pump you'll be using at home!

I don't have anything pump wise either. I figure it's best to get the pump first. I think since I'm going through the hospital they will give me a lot of stuff that goes with it, and what they don't supply, I can order. I have two nursing bras already and I have a few other things in my Amazon shopping cart. We also got a starter kit of Dr. Brown's bottles. They are on my kitchen counter (unopended) right now. I hear they are the best. I have a friend who is a nanny and she swears by them. Babies are picky tho so we only got a starter pack but when I know they like them, I'll order a complete set for them to grow into.

The fibronectin test was negative!!!! So happy about that! And being close to 27 weeks. I have been talking to the moms in my group who had premies. One had them at 26 weeks and they were in the NICU about three months. F that. Another had them at 32 weeks and they were in for about 4 weeks, and if I can make it to 34 weeks, they will need very little NICU time most likely. Lately I have a feeling that we are going to make it longer than we expect. I mean yah, my cervix is short, but since I started bedrest it's been stable. Obviously anything can change at any moment but for now, I think we will be surprised. I would love to have them before the new year tho. Between Christmas and New Years would be ideal. I'm pretty sure if I make it to 33-34 weeks I'll be up and at it cuz if they come then it will be fine.

You'll be done working soon! Look forward to that!!! I can't wait for your last bump photo. Right now I'm laying on my back at an incline in bed and baby B had her head or but sticking up, I can see it.

You are in the home stretch!!!!
TTC Since Sept 13'
IVF#1 01/15= Chemical
IVF#2 02/15= BFN
IVF#3 03/15= BFP!!

Beta#1 638
Beta#2 1979
Beta#3 4029

reapage

Postby lmtc430 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 am

Yeah I would have never known about the pediatrician but when I was telling my friend I was pregnant when I found out, she mentioned it way back then. Then they talked about it in my prenatal class. I just remember her telling me to find a doctor that has “privileges” where I am giving birth because where she gave birth, our pediatrician (I ended up using the one she recommended) couldn’t come see the babies and the doctors at the hospital missed a possible heart issue that the pediatrician found. I also don’t know I forgot that my stepkids have a pediatrician but I never go with them (their dad takes them) so I’ve ever met those doctors.

I had no idea how any of this breast pump stuff worked. I am just glad I don’t have to pay for it! The double electric pumps are really pricey plus all the accessories and such! I liked the nursing bras I saw at Target so I will probably get mine from there. I just have heard to avoid underwire. I am worried about size though because my chest has not grown and I don’t know if I will be one of those women who get a bigger chest once my milk comes in or they’ll stay the same. I’m sure I will be fine with a C or D cup. I doubt they are going to get any bigger than that!

I have the Dr Brown bottles too. They were really highly rated online. There are so many choices it’s like how do you pick? I was going to get some other options too. Hopefully the bottles that go with the pump will work ok. Feeding is the part I am most nervous about. There are so many variables. I wish I could start with a bottle right away and have no problem breastfeeding so that my mom and husband could help with feeding. We shall see!!!

I say anything 30+ weeks would be awesome. There are so many factors though to how long they may have to stay in the hospital if even at all. I was born at 4lbs, 11oz, not sure how many weeks early and I was able to go home in a couple days and have had no long term health issues associated with being premature. I have no idea how that was possible but my mom says I was rather healthy just REALLY small. Not small anymore, that’s for damn sure!

So, are you able to tell which baby is who when they move? I only have been able to since they showed me at my last ultrasound. I have a head (I’m pretty sure it’s a head) right on my right ribs. Talk about shortness of breath! Then I have a butt that pokes out of my right side. It’s so weird but cool to feel these hard spots. Then I have another head in the center, right above my belly button. I feel a lot of fluttering and twitching type movement in my lower abdomen. Love, love, love the movement! Although I don’t like being freaked out when I don’t feel them for a while. They were really active yesterday but less today. Maybe they are taking a lot of naps since it’s raining outside. Wish I could sleep so much!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lmtc430 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:03 am

I thought I would send a little update. Had an ultrasound and babies are measuring 6 pounds and 5lbs, 14 oz! I was shocked they were that big but happy! The weird thing is that I feel better this week than I have considering I have 12 lbs of baby in me! I did have to go to Labor and Delivery to be monitored because Fiona was being lazy and wouldn’t move as much as they needed. All was fine as I knew it would be but it was annoying laying there for over 2 hrs. My blood pressure was slightly elevated, my lower tummy is really swollen, and my feet are starting to swell more. Also, I’ve put on 13 lbs in just two weeks and I am up 46 lbs overall. That just doesn’t seem right so I know I am retaining a lot of fluid. We are just monitoring it and I am checking my BP each night and trying to stay well hydrated. I have an appointment on Tuesday with an ultrasound and if all is well, then I will have my c-section that following Monday (11/23). If for some reason my BP won’t go down or twins don’t seem as active, I have a feeling they’ll move my c-section to next week but nothing is set in stone. We still have a lot to do so I am hoping that the rise in BP isn’t indicating the beginning of pre-eclampsia. I need these last 11 days!

I hope all is well! Hoping babies are still doing well and you aren’t going too crazy from bed rest.
Last edited by lmtc430 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to Multiples - Twins, Triplets & More